Page 1 of 107 123456789101151101 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Do you believe that Climate Change is real and caused by mankind?

Hurricane Katrina, Superstorm Sandy, the largest ice shelf in history breaking off of Antarctica, Hurricane Harvey and now the approaching Hurricane Irma causes Florida to declare a state of emergency.

An overwhelming number of scientists and governments from around the world think these weather events are the result of human global activity. A very small number of powerful US politicians dispute science.

Are these intense weather storms natural or caused by global warming?

For those copier techs who live in Texas, what is your opinion and how has it effected your business?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: Do you believe that Climate Change is real and caused by mankind?

John Coleman (born October 15, 1934) is an American TV weatherman and founder of The Weather Channel.

Coleman says he became an "outspoken skeptic" of global warming in 2007 after watching NBC's 'Green is Universal' week, where the studio lights were cut for portions of Sunday Night Football's pre-game and half-time shows.[7] He has called climate change the "greatest scam in history," and has claimed that "the polar ice is increasing, not melting away. Polar bears are increasing in number."[8][9] Critics of Coleman have pointed out that each of these claims is wrong or misleading,[10] questioned his lack of academic credentials, and note that he has not conducted any scientific research in the area of climate change.[11]

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Some people will swallow anything fed to them, without questioning it at all.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard...er-than-losses

https://polarbearscience.com/2017/02...-almost-30000/

Greed and power hunger keep these 'predictions' alive.

I'm not sure why a hurricane is the result of climate change. They happen. They've always happened.

I like how natural disasters are so quickly attributed to man. When the science behind the claims is challenged in any way, we get the minimizing replies that we're just idiots who don't believe in science. But the further you dig, the more you realize there is little if any science behind the claims. Just as there was ZERO science behind the claim that we were making holes in the ozone layer.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to that claim? It stands to reason that if ozone is what causes the sun's rays to heat, and we have less ozone, then the earth would be cooling... not heating. I guess that interfered with their other bogus claims.

Sigh...

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

NO, I don't believe climate change is real and caused by man. If it is real it is very minimal. There have been bad hurricanes, storms, etc since the beginning of earth! I've been waiting years for prediction that NJ will have Fl weather. I was hoping not to have to move and have warm weather all year round. Looks like I may still have to move if I want warm weather because prediction never came true!

I'm more worried about running out of space for trash. I try and do my part for recycling toner cartridges, etc.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Whether climate change is causing stronger storms or not, it does stand to reason that you can't just pump waste (exhaust, heavy metals, etc) into the air and not have some kind of effect. Most of what's presented in the media on both sides of the discussion are more or less oversimplified versions of where the research is going, which is no different than anything covered in the media.

It makes sense to plan for the worst (DOD has already begun to plan for potential issues with global warming in terms of potential conflicts), and many coastal cities are already improving their building codes and growth planning. Just look at how poor city planning and sprawl made the flooding worse in Houston.

When presented with sweeping evidence in 2016 that Houston was a "sitting duck" for the next big hurricane, the former head of the Harris County Flood Control District dismissed the report, saying scientists "have an agenda" and that "their agenda to protect the environment overrides common sense."

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/day6/episode-353-hurricane-harvey-ethereum-vs-bitcoin-techno-tourism-in-detroit-the-outsiders-at-50-and-more-1.4267404/houston-officials-were-warned-they-had-a-problem-they-didn-t-listen-1.4267429

Brody's research found that decades of unchecked development in and around Houston had left the water with nowhere to go.
    Houston was founded on a swamp in the 1830s. The city is built low and flat along coastal bayous, and has always struggled with flooding.
    But there was a natural buffer that kept the worst at bay: Prairie grasslands, which absorbed water in almost supernatural quantities. The problem is Houston has spent decades paving over those grasslands and building strip malls.
    Houston is the fourth-largest city in the U.S. and home to NASA and the Johnson Space Center. This is the city that put a man on the moon, but many now describe it as a concrete island floating on top of a swamp.

The economic impact will be jarring for the entire country. By some estimates, this disaster will cost $190 billion. That would make it the costliest disaster in U.S. history, surpassing the costs of both hurricanes Katrina ($123 billion) and Sandy ($60 billion.)

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    Brody's research found that decades of unchecked development in and around Houston had left the water with nowhere to go.
    Houston was founded on a swamp in the 1830s. The city is built low and flat along coastal bayous, and has always struggled with flooding.
    But there was a natural buffer that kept the worst at bay: Prairie grasslands, which absorbed water in almost supernatural quantities. The problem is Houston has spent decades paving over those grasslands and building strip malls.
    Houston is the fourth-largest city in the U.S. and home to NASA and the Johnson Space Center. This is the city that put a man on the moon, but many now describe it as a concrete island floating on top of a swamp.

Though all this might be true, it is a matter of lousy disaster planning, similar to that in New Orleans. It still has nothing to do with global climate change.

The economic impact will be jarring for the entire country. By some estimates, this disaster will cost $190 billion. That would make it the costliest disaster in U.S. history, surpassing the costs of both hurricanes Katrina ($123 billion) and Sandy ($60 billion.)
    “Harvey was stronger at landfall and produced more rain over a wider area than Katrina,” said AccuWeather Meteorologist Jesse Ferrell. It is possible that it affected a wider area than Katrina and Sandy combined. I have seen estimated costs for Harvey ranging from $130 billion to your figure of $190 billion. Only time will tell.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post

Speaking of which, whatever happened to that claim? It stands to reason that if ozone is what causes the sun's rays to heat, and we have less ozone, then the earth would be cooling... not heating. I guess that interfered with their other bogus claims.

Sigh...
    The ozone layer protects us by reducing UVB rays from the sun. One of the reasons we don't hear much about it anymore is because CFCs have been banned. CFCs were causing the ozone layer to deteriorate. It was a man caused problem that was remedied by govt. intervention. It is now slowly healing itself.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I'm kinda on the fence about "man made" climate change, but that video has so many holes in that I used it to strain my spaghetti. Lol