Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30
  1. #1
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Bend
    Posts
    1,209
    Rep Power
    32

    The Price Of Freedom

    This thread is an offshoot of another thread where we were discussing climate change.

    The claim was started by yours truly, that Canadian law prohibits speech.

    Starting with a quote to respond to my claim:

    Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    Allowing hatred to rule give rise to cowardly groups like the KKK and white supremacists.
    Possibly. But freedom has its price. Again, you have to give the devil benefit of law. No matter who is making the laws, eventually, someone else will be in power. If you want society to always be able to do good, then you have to allow for society to do bad. THAT is the point of freedom. It's not so people can misbehave--it's so that people will always have the ability to behave.

    As soon as the government has the power to tell people what they can and cannot say, you're on the road to tyranny.


  2. #2
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Bend
    Posts
    1,209
    Rep Power
    32

    Re: The Price Of Freedom

    I think anyone with a semblance of intelligence and compassion knows what "hatred" is. To hate a person just because their skin is a different colour, or because they worship a different "God" than you is ridiculous and pointless.
    In my original post, I had pointed out that someone was arrested because they were lecturing about the hateful way Islam treats women. So who is 'hating'? And who decides who is hating. If you're not going to allow hate speech, you'd have to shut down a lot of mosques.


  3. #3
    Aging Tech 1,000+ Posts
    The Price Of Freedom


    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Desboro
    Posts
    1,215
    Rep Power
    32

    Re: The Price Of Freedom

    Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    In my original post, I had pointed out that someone was arrested because they were lecturing about the hateful way Islam treats women. So who is 'hating'? And who decides who is hating. If you're not going to allow hate speech, you'd have to shut down a lot of mosques.
    Why single out mosques? All religious faiths are twisted by extremists. They cherry pick words and phrases to suit their own purposes. We have the KKK that uses specific bible verses to promote their own agenda, just like isis does with the quran. There is really no fundamental difference. The only real difference is scale. In my opinion the world would be a much better place without organised religion, be it catholic, protestant, jewish or muslim. They all say "My god is better than your god" when they all have the same god. Kinda silly when you think about it.


  4. #4
    Retired 5,000+ Posts slimslob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    7,083
    Rep Power
    152

    Re: The Price Of Freedom

    Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    Why single out mosques? All religious faiths are twisted by extremists. They cherry pick words and phrases to suit their own purposes. We have the KKK that uses specific bible verses to promote their own agenda, just like isis does with the quran. There is really no fundamental difference. The only real difference is scale. In my opinion the world would be a much better place without organised religion, be it catholic, protestant, jewish or muslim. They all say "My god is better than your god" when they all have the same god. Kinda silly when you think about it.
    Because the "extremists" in Islam are not twisting their religion. They are following the exact teachings of the Quran. You very seldom hear "moderate" Muslims condemn the terrorist attacks because they know this. For a Muslim to kill a non Muslim according the Quran is merely eradicating infidels. Also according to the Quran, for a Muslim to kill another Muslim is either purging the faith or honor killing.


  5. #5
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Bend
    Posts
    1,209
    Rep Power
    32

    Re: The Price Of Freedom

    Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    Why single out mosques? All religious faiths are twisted by extremists. They cherry pick words and phrases to suit their own purposes. We have the KKK that uses specific bible verses to promote their own agenda, just like isis does with the quran. There is really no fundamental difference. The only real difference is scale. In my opinion the world would be a much better place without organised religion, be it catholic, protestant, jewish or muslim. They all say "My god is better than your god" when they all have the same god. Kinda silly when you think about it.
    I'm an extremist. At least I try to be. I've never thought in any way that it was ok to kill people. I guess some Christians (me being one of them) think that capital punishment is ok. But that's as far as it goes. Christian extemists (and as far as I know, Jewish extremists) don't believe in killing people. I'm pretty sure that's not part of Buddhism either. I'm not sure about Hindus. Someone who knows about it could speak up.


  6. #6
    Aging Tech 1,000+ Posts
    The Price Of Freedom


    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Desboro
    Posts
    1,215
    Rep Power
    32

    Re: The Price Of Freedom

    Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Because the "extremists" in Islam are not twisting their religion. They are following the exact teachings of the Quran. You very seldom hear "moderate" Muslims condemn the terrorist attacks because they know this. For a Muslim to kill a non Muslim according the Quran is merely eradicating infidels. Also according to the Quran, for a Muslim to kill another Muslim is either purging the faith or honor killing.
    Of course they are twisting the quran. Just like the KKK twist the bible. Cherry picking any text can make it say exactly what you want it to say.
    If you care to, read this with an open mind.

    Anyone who says the Quran advocates terrorism obviously hasn't read its lessons on violence | The Independent


  7. #7
    Aging Tech 1,000+ Posts
    The Price Of Freedom


    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Desboro
    Posts
    1,215
    Rep Power
    32

    Re: The Price Of Freedom

    Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    I'm an extremist. At least I try to be. I've never thought in any way that it was ok to kill people. I guess some Christians (me being one of them) think that capital punishment is ok. But that's as far as it goes. Christian extemists (and as far as I know, Jewish extremists) don't believe in killing people. I'm pretty sure that's not part of Buddhism either. I'm not sure about Hindus. Someone who knows about it could speak up.
    Do you believe the KKK is a christian extremist group? They believe it is ok to kill jews and blacks. Just because they don't do it much anymore doesn't make them any less extreme.
    Look into the Myanmar situation. It is Buddhists doing the killing there.
    As I said previously, religion is the scourge of the earth.


  8. #8
    Aging Tech 1,000+ Posts
    The Price Of Freedom


    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Desboro
    Posts
    1,215
    Rep Power
    32

    Re: The Price Of Freedom

    Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    In my original post, I had pointed out that someone was arrested because they were lecturing about the hateful way Islam treats women. So who is 'hating'? And who decides who is hating. If you're not going to allow hate speech, you'd have to shut down a lot of mosques.
    I did some searching for this incident and was unable to find anything. Can you post a link please?


  9. #9
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    The Price Of Freedom


    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    199
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: The Price Of Freedom

    If religion is a "scrooge" to you, why take interest? Just to demean what millions of people believe? That there is a creator? I would just let it go and be done with it, move along so to speak. Good luck in your walks in life.


  10. #10
    Aging Tech 1,000+ Posts
    The Price Of Freedom


    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Desboro
    Posts
    1,215
    Rep Power
    32

    Re: The Price Of Freedom

    Quote Originally Posted by tech28 View Post
    If religion is a "scrooge" to you, why take interest? Just to demean what millions of people believe? That there is a creator? I would just let it go and be done with it, move along so to speak. Good luck in your walks in life.
    Why would you assume I don't believe there is a creator? I said religion is bad, not what people believe. Organised religion is just a way to have power over people. You don't need someone preaching at you to have faith. So, move along and good luck to you.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-=-=-=-=-=-


IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here