Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Admin?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    To Admin?

To Admin?

Are the RSS robots intentional or spam? If they are intentional hopefully you are getting paid from them. Problem is I donate to this site and don't feel I should have to see these ads (some ridiculous and nothing to do with office equipment) every time I log onto home page to see new posts. I have never been bothered by the banner ads at top of page but ads where the posts are is annoying.
    Last edited by copyman; 10-10-2017 at 03:33 AM.

Administrator 500+ Posts Aneurysm's Avatar

Re: To Admin?

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Are the RSS robots intentional or spam? If they are intentional hopefully you are getting paid from them. Problem is I donate to this site and don't feel I should have to see these ads (some ridiculous and nothing to do with office equipment) every time I log onto home page to see new posts. I have never been bothered by the banner ads at top of page but ads where the posts are is annoying.
    Most importantly, your donation is greatly appreciated, it definitely helps pay the bills around here and it's nice to know someone likes us enough to throw a few bucks in the hat for us every once in awhile. As for the banner advertising, we try to place it where it will be seen without being too much in the way but it is advertising so it needs to be where someone will see it. It could be worse, we could running giant click-bait banners across everything.

BTW, the "RSS Robot" is a user account our system uses to post various industry news feeds to our Industry News forum, it is not related to any advertising network you may see on the site.
    --
    Snap, Crackle, Aneurysm!

To Admin?

Ok. Thanks Aneurysm for clearing that up. I wouldn't have posted about this but it seems like it is getting worse. I posted last night after seeing several in a row when I logged in. Hopefully the "RSS robot" don't take over the site with more ads than member posts. I've seen it happen on a soccer forum I used to be a member of back when my kid played soccer. Thanks again

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    To Admin?

Since you are getting several in a row after logging in, you might want to check the device you are using to access Copytechnet. It sounds like you might have an ad bot/app running.

Ok. Thanks Aneurysm for clearing that up. I wouldn't have posted about this but it seems like it is getting worse. I posted last night after seeing several in a row when I logged in. Hopefully the "RSS robot" don't take over the site with more ads than member posts. I've seen it happen on a soccer forum I used to be a member of back when my kid played soccer. Thanks again

Are you seeing a few banner ads below the navigation bar and between a few posts when looking at a thread of comments OR are you seeing some sort of pop-up that is blocking content or doing anything other than just sitting there? if it's the latter, it's not us and you might want to take Slimbob's advice and look for some malware on your end. Currently we only have banners and a few text links but nothing overly annoying or in the way.
    --
    Snap, Crackle, Aneurysm!

To Admin?

No I was only talking about the RSS ads on the list of new posts

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    To Admin?

No I was only talking about the RSS ads on the list of new posts
    Personally, I wouldn't call the RSS feeds an advertisement; more like an industry notice of current events of the various manufacturers.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

To Admin?

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't call the RSS feeds an advertisement; more like an industry notice of current events of the various manufacturers.
    Yes, but I recall times there was loads of info about the development of the sale of hair colorants and similar in the Asian and African markets. Did not yet feel the need to be informed about that, but time will tell.....

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

To Admin?

Han's is right. A lot of RSS feeds has nothing to do with the office equipment industry. I actually posted about this a few weeks back when I first noticed these RSS feeds. It seems like these feeds started after this site was down for maintenance.

Here is my post:

Global Hair Color Products Market Research Report 2017

Han's is right. A lot of RSS feeds has nothing to do with the office equipment industry. I actually posted about this a few weeks back when I first noticed these RSS feeds. It seems like these feeds started after this site was down for maintenance.
    I'll take a look, we pull feeds from a few different sources, i'm guessing something that was a relatively safe source is now full of crap, it happens.
    --
    Snap, Crackle, Aneurysm!