Page 8 of 130 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858108 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Re: How Russia hacked the Democrats email

If I'm running my household, and suddenly I get fired or have a decrease in pay, I try to find a way to make up the income. But ultimately, I have to cut my spending. Why can't the government EVER do that? Why not just stop buying unneeded things? Why is that NEVER an option?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    The main barrier we contend with is when conservative governments reduce taxes for the big corporations, that money has to come from somewhere and it always comes from the little companies.
    Sorry but every time I hear that about lowering taxes I have to point out that every single time tax rates have been reduced tax revenues have gone up. It happened when JFK's tax plan was put into effect. It happened when the Reagan tax "cuts" were put into effect. It happened when the taxes were cut on capital gains from nearly 50 percent to 20 percent. In an even more bizarre example locally this is what happened. The state passed a local option sales tax. Any county could raise automatically the sales tax one percent. At the time it is now up to 2.5 percent sales tax added locally Sales tax in the state before the increase was 6 percent. After the increase 7 percent. A city nearby had to put out to bid a sewer reconstruction job. All four companies within the county that bid were under bid by the amount of sales taxes the companies would have to charge for the supplies needed to be provided to complete the job by companies in counties that did not pass the local option sales tax.
    Or in another example. A while back in NJ there were no sales taxes on rentals of construction equipment. As a result the construction companies in New York and Pa and Delaware where there were sales taxes on rental of the same equipment would rent the equipment from dealerships in NJ. Just because of the sales tax only on rental of the equipment they would rent equipment from dealers near their state lines with NJ and save a few thousand annually or more. You guessed it the democrats passed a law where the sales taxes were placed on the rental of construction equipment and every single construction equipment dealership moved closer to where their rental customers were to save on shipping costs. Oh yes they also laid off up to half of the employees since they now lost a price advantage over companies in other states and didn't need that many employees to service and deliver the rental equipment. And guess what else also happened. NJ lost the income taxes from the workers, the businesses and the owners of the businesses too that lost revenues because someone decided to raise taxes on a minor part of business in the state.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    How Russia hacked the Democrats email

Quote Originally Posted by gneebore View Post
    Sorry but every time I hear that about lowering taxes I have to point out that every single time tax rates have been reduced tax revenues have gone up. It happened when JFK's tax plan was put into effect. It happened when the Reagan tax "cuts" were put into effect. It happened when the taxes were cut on capital gains from nearly 50 percent to 20 percent. In an even more bizarre example locally this is what happened. The state passed a local option sales tax. Any county could raise automatically the sales tax one percent. At the time it is now up to 2.5 percent sales tax added locally Sales tax in the state before the increase was 6 percent. After the increase 7 percent. A city nearby had to put out to bid a sewer reconstruction job. All four companies within the county that bid were under bid by the amount of sales taxes the companies would have to charge for the supplies needed to be provided to complete the job by companies in counties that did not pass the local option sales tax.
    Or in another example. A while back in NJ there were no sales taxes on rentals of construction equipment. As a result the construction companies in New York and Pa and Delaware where there were sales taxes on rental of the same equipment would rent the equipment from dealerships in NJ. Just because of the sales tax only on rental of the equipment they would rent equipment from dealers near their state lines with NJ and save a few thousand annually or more. You guessed it the democrats passed a law where the sales taxes were placed on the rental of construction equipment and every single construction equipment dealership moved closer to where their rental customers were to save on shipping costs. Oh yes they also laid off up to half of the employees since they now lost a price advantage over companies in other states and didn't need that many employees to service and deliver the rental equipment. And guess what else also happened. NJ lost the income taxes from the workers, the businesses and the owners of the businesses too that lost revenues because someone decided to raise taxes on a minor part of business in the state.
    I'm not sure where you get your information, but the Laffer Curve is a proven myth. When taxes are cut, revenues go down and deficits increase. Look it up.

I'm not sure where you get your information, but the Laffer Curve is a proven myth. When taxes are cut, revenues go down and deficits increase. Look it up.

Here you go.
    The Reagan Tax Cuts: Lessons for Tax Reform

And a direct quote from the page referenced above
    The criticism that the tax payments of the rich would fall under ERTA was based on a static conception of human behavior. As a 1982 JEC study pointed out,[1] similar across-the-board tax cuts had been implemented in the 1920s as the Mellon tax cuts, and in the 1960s as the Kennedy tax cuts. In both cases the reduction of high marginal tax rates actually increased tax payments by "the rich," also increasing their share of total individual income taxes paid. Unfortunately, estimates of ERTA by the Democrat-controlled CBO continued to show falling tax payment by upper income taxpayers, even after actual IRS data had become available showing a surge of income tax payments by affluent taxpayers.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gneebore View Post
    Here you go.
    The Reagan Tax Cuts: Lessons for Tax Reform

And a direct quote from the page referenced above
    The criticism that the tax payments of the rich would fall under ERTA was based on a static conception of human behavior. As a 1982 JEC study pointed out,[1] similar across-the-board tax cuts had been implemented in the 1920s as the Mellon tax cuts, and in the 1960s as the Kennedy tax cuts. In both cases the reduction of high marginal tax rates actually increased tax payments by "the rich," also increasing their share of total individual income taxes paid. Unfortunately, estimates of ERTA by the Democrat-controlled CBO continued to show falling tax payment by upper income taxpayers, even after actual IRS data had become available showing a surge of income tax payments by affluent taxpayers.
    Yup, Reagan lowered taxes in '81, but had to raise them again the next year because revenues dropped. Forbes Welcome

Sitting here, in little Denmark...albeit with a childhood in South East Asia, where I spent 1-6th grade at an American School...my perspective is this:

Hillary Clinton lost the election, and is a very sore loser. Blaming the Russians? What is this, the 1950ies??

I also believe that many Trump votes were placed against Clinton as opposed to for Trump. People are tired of Politicians, and Trump is breath of fresh air - even if the Political system will limit his ambitions.

Clinton sealed her own fate with the "deplorable" remarks. Name calling 25% of the population was arrogant beyond belief and exposed her complete lack of understanding for the ordinary person.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    If I'm running my household, and suddenly I get fired or have a decrease in pay, I try to find a way to make up the income. But ultimately, I have to cut my spending. Why can't the government EVER do that? Why not just stop buying unneeded things? Why is that NEVER an option?
    because it's not THEIR money they are wasting ... and the don't give a flying F about us.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

British Prime Minister Theresa May claimed in a speech on Nov 14th that Russia was interfering in elections around the world and planting fake news stories to sow discord and undermine Western institutions.

May accused Moscow of weaponize-ing information as part of a sustained campaign of cyber espionage and disruption.

Her criticism comes amid mounting allegations that groups linked to the Kremlin itself meddled in elections and referendums, including Brexit, Catalonia's independence vote and the 2016 Presidential election.

May's comments contrast starkly with US President Donald Trump's recent comment that he believed Vladimir Putin's denials of interfering in the 2016 US Presidential elections. President Trump did later state that he agreed with the US Intelligence community's assessment that Russia attempted to influence the US election.

British PM to Russia: 'We know what you are doing' - CNN

Yup, Reagan lowered taxes in '81, but had to raise them again the next year because revenues dropped. Forbes Welcome
    Yet they were still a heck of a lot lower than the highest 75 percent brackets in force before the adjustments. Yes your article does mention an adjustment of corporate rates. Not any increase though in the personal tax rates. Which were dropped to a maximum of 25 percent and remained there until an increase in 1990 under Bush.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    British Prime Minister Theresa May claimed in a speech on Nov 14th that Russia was interfering in elections around the world and planting fake news stories to sow discord and undermine Western institutions.

May accused Moscow of weaponize-ing information as part of a sustained campaign of cyber espionage and disruption.

Her criticism comes amid mounting allegations that groups linked to the Kremlin itself meddled in elections and referendums, including Brexit, Catalonia's independence vote and the 2016 Presidential election.

May's comments contrast starkly with US President Donald Trump's recent comment that he believed Vladimir Putin's denials of interfering in the 2016 US Presidential elections. President Trump did later state that he agreed with the US Intelligence community's assessment that Russia attempted to influence the US election.

British PM to Russia: 'We know what you are doing' - CNN

The real kicker is how Trump will believe Putin over all of his own countries intelligence agencies. He is so narcissistic he refuses to admit that Russian meddling may have helped him win.
    Also, it is funny how people who once had a bad opinion of Russia now seem to think they are okay. Makes one wonder.