Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Do you believe in medical marijuana?

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    I'm with you on making it illegal under 21. Same strict rules as alcohol laws. Driving under the influence, etc. Not saying bad as alcohol with driving but kids have enough going on with phones, music, etc. Add to that weed and that is some big time "distracted" driving!

Keep in mind some of this weed from dispensaries can have a THC content of 25%. If a kid smokes this for their first time they will be blasted! Maybe a good thing because they may never want to do it again! Ha-ha
    Medical use I can support given some of the benefits observed in effects on appetite in cancer patients and a few other controlled tests of effect treatments for some behavior problems in controlled circumstances. As for personal recreational use. No way. Keep that stuff illegal. I grew up in the late sixties in south Florida. Back then the weed was not quite as strong as it is now. But there were enough people that were happily harvesting the plants that actually grew wild in the area and along the highways. Kind of one of the reasons why everyone called it weed. Anyway I saw the change in behavior and the descent into stronger drugs some of the more adventurous friends used And the health problems they had after they started using weed. They moved into the stronger drugs simply because the high they got from weed was no longer good enough they needed something stronger. There is a reason it is /was called a gateway drug. Eventually the heavy users did or do move into the stronger drugs since they couldn't get a good enough high from their weed. Had a couple people I knew that eventually did overdose on stronger drugs and died. And as bad as the drunk drivers are now with alcohol abuse I sure as heck do not want to see how bad drivers get when high on some "righteous weed"

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

IMHO, it shouldn't even be listed as a schedule 1 narcotic, I don't use it personally, but many friends/co workers do. As long as they are not under the influence while driving or at jobs that prohibit working while intoxicated then live and let live. It should fall into the same legal category as alcohol, which (again, only MHO) is much worse for you and those around you yet is legal after 21. I haven't read to many cases where some asshole father/husband got high and beat the crap out of his spouse/kids. Emujo

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Do you believe in medical marijuana?

Certainly lots of copier service techs and older copier techs have a wide range of pains that cause them discomfort while working in customer premises.

I would be very concerned if a customer complained about a marijuana smell coming off a tech.

I suspect medical marijuana smells the same as recreational marijuana. I guess that is what edibles are for.

I think most career techs take great pride in their work and would not put themselves in that position.

Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post
    IMHO, it shouldn't even be listed as a schedule 1 narcotic, I don't use it personally, but many friends/co workers do. As long as they are not under the influence while driving or at jobs that prohibit working while intoxicated then live and let live. It should fall into the same legal category as alcohol, which (again, only MHO) is much worse for you and those around you yet is legal after 21. I haven't read to many cases where some asshole father/husband got high and beat the crap out of his spouse/kids. Emujo
    Actually in the past I did know of some that used weed and got into paranoid behaviors. Most of which involved family or close friends being accused of stealing or hiding their stash. Usually when they stashed their weed while smoking and forgot where they hid it.

One other nasty side effect of marijuana is the effect on the lungs of users. Marijuana is similar to tobacco. The main difference being marijuana has as its drug component, THC. While tobacco has nicotine. The rest of the plant has the same tars and ash effects that cause lung diseases.

And there is one other effect to the smoke from marijuana. That is the dreaded second hand high non smokers can get from being in an enclosed space with users. That I know about personally because it happened a few times when friends rode with me in my car. They lit up and had a fine old time and I got a buzz from their smoke. It got bad enough I flat out made a rule against smokers of either tobacco or weed being allowed in my car or my house. I didn't smoke tobacco or weed back then since I was a cross country /marathon runner and smoking anything really did screw up your breathing.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Medical marijuana is bred for specific purposes. People think it gets you high, but this not necessarily the case.
    Growers will vary the concentrations of both the CBD and the THC to give the wanted results, whether it is for pain, appetite enhancement, etc.
    It is the recreational marijuana that is bred for the high. One of the main concerns with modern recreational marijuana is the fact that growers will breed the CBD out the the plants so there is no moderating of the psychoactive effects of the THC

Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    Medical marijuana is bred for specific purposes. People think it gets you high, but this not necessarily the case.
    Growers will vary the concentrations of both the CBD and the THC to give the wanted results, whether it is for pain, appetite enhancement, etc.
    It is the recreational marijuana that is bred for the high. One of the main concerns with modern recreational marijuana is the fact that growers will breed the CBD out the the plants so there is no moderating of the psychoactive effects of the THC
    I understand the differing properties being gained by selective plantings. Heck that was a big part of the strains being brought to the mainland from Hawaii in the past. That wonderful strain called Maui Wowee because it was stronger and you got a better, longer high from it than the local stuff. There will always be people that are going to abuse any substance that produces any form of altered state. Heck there are people that abuse aspirin and sleeping pills. There are even people that are so far gone as alcoholics they try drinking rubbing alcohol. Not for very long mind you because that stuff will put your butt in a hospital if you take it internally.

Or the really stupid nonsense going on now. You know the Tide pod challenge. Idiots on the internet biting down on Tide pods. Some actually swallowing the soap. Hell there are warning labels on the package that the pod contents are not to be taken internally. But soon enough there is probably going to be a class action lawsuit blaming Tide for producing the pods small enough to be bitten into by people.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Weed has no anesthetic properties, the way opiates do. It doesn't actually kill pain.

That being said, it has other benefits. It relaxes people, physically and mentally. Obviously, it helps cancer patients after their treatments. It kills back spasms and other back problems that are muscle related.

All the regular pot smokers that I know are unmotivated and lazy.

What pot doesn't do, is make you 10 feet tall and bulletproof. I don't understand why recreational alcohol is legal and recreational weed isn't. It's an arbitrary standard.

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    Weed has no anesthetic properties, the way opiates do. It doesn't actually kill pain.

That being said, it has other benefits. It relaxes people, physically and mentally. Obviously, it helps cancer patients after their treatments. It kills back spasms and other back problems that are muscle related.

What pot doesn't do, is make you 10 feet tall and bulletproof. I don't understand why recreational alcohol is legal and recreational weed isn't. It's an arbitrary standard.
    No it doesn't make you feel ten feet tall and bullet proof. But it has other hallucinatory effects that can be just as bad or worse. Like the moron a few years ago that drove while high and was finally involved in a crash. He was running red lights because according to the witnesses he told everyone he was flying anyway and didn't need to stop for the traffic lights. That was an admittedly extreme example. Worst experience I can remember was a friend in high school that almost died when he was higher than a kite and thought he could just step over to the other side of the room. Problem was he was on a second floor balcony and his short cut was to climb over the useless railing and fell to the first floor.

Oh yeah I do remember how easy it actually was to get marijuana while I was a teen. Plus it had an amazing thing going for something that was illegal too. It was real cheap compared to heroin or cocaine and other hard drugs. Yeah some friends bragged how they scored an ounce for two bucks back then. The biggest reason I never really got started doing the whole drug scene was a guy in one of my classes was a real "they are lying to you about how bad all the drugs are" shill. Constantly went on on how safe everything the teacher and the fuzz were lying about to keep kids from experiencing the safe and wonderful highs you could get from smoking weed and using cocaine and heroin. Well seems Mr I Know more that they do overdosed and died from a speedball. He mixed cocaine and heroin and injected that combo. Kind of put a different spin on using the stuff if an advocate for how safe the stuff is dies from using it.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post

It sure gets prescribed for pain, so I would suggest it kills pain. Absolutely not like opioids do in the fact that marijuana is non addictive.
    It is safer than alcohol as a recreational intoxicant. Especially if ingested rather than smoked.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Well, I've never ingested it, but I smoked my share. I can't ever remember weed making something less painful... not physically, anyway. Except for my back pain sometimes. My muscles would be relaxed and I wouldn't get spasm pain.

Weed also helps people with RLS. Extreme cases of this can be pretty difficult to live with. I've gone 48 hours without being able to sleep because of restless legs.