Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Stupid Customer Tricks

But the salesman said I should add a full ream at a time. Couldn't figure out why it jams.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Stupid Customer Tricks

Quote Originally Posted by tonerhead View Post
    But the salesman said I should add a full ream at a time. Couldn't figure out why it jams.
    You mean it won't pull it out of the wrapper? It stays fresher that way!
    At least they got the "UP" correct, though technically not I guess as the paper flips, so maybe the UP should be pointing down.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

Had a customer many years ago when the devices were analog and had no touch screen available. She called in saying she could not enlarge any copies and I figured she must have broken the plastic actuator under the key pad as they were all hard keys. When I got there the copy ratio key worked and you could cycle through the complete enlarge and reduction ratio menu. I showed her that it worked and she claimed that the key was in a different spot on the control panel prior and I must have moved it during the previous call, which would be a real engineering feat to carve out a new spot on the c/panel and have it activate the bubble pad underneath, not to mention somehow filling the previous spot seamlessly with the exact color of plastic. I wondered how she got to work everyday.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Doing a military contractnfor 16 years, I have seen it all, I have had the unwrapped ream, customers who would pull the IU out and throw it away when the machine ask for toner. Filling their own toner bottles with other toners, ground charcole and liquids. There is nothing that surprises me anymore.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Must have been something with the automatic paper unwrapper or something

ID10TS
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

Had a customer a couple of years ago, they called as the waste toner was full....they said they'd emptied all 4 units & it still was staying the waste toner bottle needed replacing.....they had to pay for 4 imaging units.......
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Stupid Customer Tricks

Probably the best (or worse depending how you look at it) was when copier industry was first making the transition from liquid to dry toner. More than once I had customer's pour liquid toner into the dry toner hopper. What a mess.

Also had what the other poster happen a few times, customer's dumping the image units thinking it was waste toner. Expensive mistake that they never do again!

Keep in mind we want the end user to be stupid, keeps us working. After 40 yrs in this business I have seen it all. And the one thing that has never changed is most service calls are related to the end user.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Stupid Customer Tricks

Some locations make you cringe to leave supplies for them..... they see a message (but don't READ it) and throw in everything minus WHAT it is calling for.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Back in the day when we actually kept supplies in our building, we had more than a few customers place an unneeded service call, asking that we would bring the supplies with us to save them shipping / delivery charges.

We also had a large number of customers just assume that we carried supplies with us.

Nice tries , but "No!"on both.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

Once had a customer with a second generation digital device printing "dark". It was a reverse of how toner is supposed to act, light areas dark, image light. I inspected the dev and could smell Np 3825 toner as I used to rebuild those in the shop. Some one took the time and effort to feed that toner into the new machine and they had to be spooning it out as there is no way the toner bottle would fit. What time and effort and patience they must have had to do that, certainly more effort and patience then simply reading the manual. They had to pay for a new dev.

Another customer had the same issue, turned out the wharehouse help had added toner from a different manufacturer, and from a different Canon. After I explained to the business owner about the charge for a new dev and why he called in the employee in question. I never did see him there again.