Thread: Noise

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Noise

Another tech had a call a few days ago on a Xerox making a noise, and when she showed up the machine would not make the noise. She lubed a few things that she thought may be the issue. I went to follow up. The customer said it was still making the noise, but it wouldn't do it while I was there, so i didn't hear it. Can you tell me where the noise might be coming from?

It kind of makes your brain twich. That was the senerio. My manager actually wanted me to call tech support and got mad when I laughed and refused to do it. Luckily, I found a fuser in my junk pile and took a shot. I haven't heard back since I put it in, so I take that as a good sign.

Just wanted to share. Are managers that out of touch with reality?
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Noise

Yes, they are. Our 2 newest managers are not from the copier industry and would not know a fuser if it burned their......

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

Intermittent noises are just the worst.

Most people do have a half decent mobile phone these days.
    So I just ask the customer to record some footage next time it occurs so they can show me.

A sort of 'help me, help you' scenario.

Are managers that out of touch with reality?
    I think I better keep my mouth shut on that one lol.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

My manager had no experience servicing anything, his background was sales training and software. He has gotten better, but at the beginning it was sometimes hell. He would also insist we call tech support for completely obscure things that someone ona phone could not help you with. He seemed to think that every problem had a easy known solution. Once had a error code and the manual had nothing on it, neither did tech help. The signal acronyms listed for the code were not listed anywhere else in the manual, tech support had no idea what they were, and google had nothing either. Wound up cutting tie wraps and finally the device would not error out. He complained that I took way too long to fix this issue, and was actually quite upset, raising his voice at me in the office. I didn't handle it well, and we had a rocky year, but he seems to have developed some people skills and now has a better understanding of how things are.

One time he sent a terse email to tech support over a nagging issue that they did not have a ready solution for, and received a email back addressing his attitude. Heard about it through the guys at tech support that I know. A bad manager can kill a good situation, for his techs, and customers, I know he was a reason some customers didn't renewe with us, he was abrasive with many of them at first as well. Two people left because of him and I was close.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Noise

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Just wanted to share. Are managers that out of touch with reality?
    yes they are that out of touch... that's why they are managers and not Techs!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Noise

Some managers are just way better at being managers than being techs. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Noise

My manager actually wanted me to call tech support and got mad when I laughed and refused to do it.
    Calling tech support for a noise is brutally embarrassing.

Almost as bad as when you call because the machine you just took apart has a new problem because of you.

Either way I'll pass.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    Calling tech support for a noise is brutally embarrassing.

Almost as bad as when you call because the machine you just took apart has a new problem because of you.

Either way I'll pass.

Calling tech support and asking that question would be like me daring the guy to call me stupid.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Noise

Calling tech support and asking that question would be like me daring the guy to call me stupid.

I'd call em up on speaker and let my boss hear their response. But, then again I don't care if I get fired, as long as I'm not disrespected.

worker drone 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    yes they are that out of touch... that's why they are managers and not Techs!
    I have a theory that a manager is more of a goal than an actual working position. It is a point at an elevated level that those below can "strive to be". "If I keep my nose clean and do a good job, someday I can be that highly paid person and do what he does for a living".