Technician

Paranoia: Is big brother watching? Misconceptions!

On the first service visit after install of a Canon adv6555, the customer was acting a little odd when I arrived. He asked in a quiet voice about what the office staff though was a "camera" the front of the machine. I tried to contain myself as I told him that is just the proximity sensor. As we approached the machine, he proceeded to remove a carefully constructed paper cover that someone had put around the sensor. I will admit this model's sensor is very visible and not hidden like other Canon's. Who did they think were watching? Can you blame them for worrying?

Are there any odd things a customer thought about the equipment?

Such as:
    • The scan lamps used to glow greenish and comments about radiation were common.
    • I was led to believe in college that the library machine reduced everything a few percent because of copyright issues. Now I know this was because that copier was a piece of #$%@&.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: Paranoia: Is big brother watching? Misconceptions!

I don't know if this is on topic, but not that long after I started working on copiers, a customer insisted that the total copy counter was a timer that caused PM parts to fail.
    That place was a pain for a while, but it eventually became a "black hole of commerce" - it disappeared without a trace, the location stood empty for a while, then a new shop would appear there and then disappear without a trace as well, and the location would stand empty again for a while longer, and then that sequence would repeat. Weird.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    I don't know if this is on topic, but not that long after I started working on copiers, a customer insisted that the total copy counter was a timer that caused PM parts to fail.
    That place was a pain for a while, but it eventually became a "black hole of commerce" - it disappeared without a trace, the location stood empty for a while, then a new shop would appear there and then disappear without a trace as well, and the location would stand empty again for a while longer, and then that sequence would repeat. Weird.
    "Ground Hog Day"?
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Retired 10,000+ Posts

If you really want to kick up their paranoia, tell them about the malware that can access the cameras and microphones on laptops and mobiles devices.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    If you really want to kick up their paranoia, tell them about the malware that can access the cameras and microphones on laptops and mobiles devices.
    I had an old iphone4. For years I refused to follow along with the operating system update b/s.
    The old phone had worked great for a very long time, fast efficient reliable.
    I finally gave in an updated the old phone to the latest operating system.
    BIG MISTAKE....!!! Do not upgrade your old iPhones to the latest operating system.
    The latest operating system detects your phone is old and makes you believe your phone is failing.
    The updated O/S takes 5 times longer to load from power on. Basic text entry has deliberate delayed key strokes,
    even with auto correct an spell check off. There are a number of things done to the phones normal GUI graphics
    to make you believe the phone is failing and its time for you to buy a new phone.

After the above out of warranty software stunt I highly doubt I will be buying an Apple iPhone for my next phone.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Mirai? Or something else?
    Last edited by Iowatech; 04-03-2018 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Additional link

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    I had an old iphone4. For years I refused to follow along with the operating system update b/s.
    The old phone had worked great for a very long time, fast efficient reliable.
    I finally gave in an updated the old phone to the latest operating system.
    BIG MISTAKE....!!! Do not upgrade your old iPhones to the latest operating system.
    The latest operating system detects your phone is old and makes you believe your phone is failing.
    The updated O/S takes 5 times longer to load from power on. Basic text entry has deliberate delayed key strokes,
    even with auto correct an spell check off. There are a number of things done to the phones normal GUI graphics
    to make you believe the phone is failing and its time for you to buy a new phone.

After the above out of warranty software stunt I highly doubt I will be buying an Apple iPhone for my next phone.
    Get a Blackberry KeyOne. Be happy!

BlackBerry(R) KEYone | Canada - Official Website

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

In the past I had Skype attempt access the camera built in to my laptop. A message popped up saying the program Skype required administrator rights to run and access the camera. I usually create two login accounts on pc's and only run the administrative account when updating or installing new software.
    Now the fun part why in the heck does a website require the activation of a web cam for nothing more than reading news articles or playing games like text twist? I did immediately run a malware/virus scan and found one P.U.P. and deleted it immediately. Glad it was a work laptop and I never loaded any of my personal accounts or banking on the laptop

former propeller tester 250+ Posts

that reminds me of the 'Temporary Tattoo Shop' that opened, when people realized the tattoos wouldn't wash off and went back to complain, the shop had disappeared