Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    A Farewell to Fedron!!

A Farewell to Fedron!!

Don't know if anyone else has noticed it yet or not, but Fedron is no longer available!!

I spoke with a supplier of printer/copier shop chemicals, and he said the owner of the company (Federal Mining and Manufacturing) recently passed away, and none of his children wanted to carry on the business. I know it's pretty harsh, but it's the best stuff I ever found for removing caked on toner from aluminum heatsink cleaning rollers.

The guy I spoke with at TeeVee Supply said they were currently in the process of trying to "Reverse engineer" it, but wasn't certain of any time frame. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything new.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    A Farewell to Fedron!!

Re: A Farewell to Fedron!!

They did you a favor. I haven't used it in over 20 yrs. There are plenty of other less harsh, less cancer causing cleaners that will work with a little extra muscle. I find WD-40 works for almost every type of built up toner, labels, etc I run across.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    A Farewell to Fedron!!

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    They did you a favor. I haven't used it in over 20 yrs. There are plenty of other less harsh, less cancer causing cleaners that will work with a little extra muscle. I find WD-40 works for almost every type of built up toner, labels, etc I run across.
    I don't doubt that, but I will miss being able to drop a heatsink roller that's CAKED in toner into a container of Fedron... then coming back after rebuilding the fuser unit to remove it from the container (Gloves on, of course) and just wipe the roller back down to bare metal.

worker drone 250+ Posts

Contact Reliance Specialty Products Vapor Degreasing and Solvent Cleaning Experts >> Reliance Specialty Products about a product called Gentech. It works every bit as well as fedron and is a little safer.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

Good Riddance!!! I hate that crap, had a tech that insisted on using it in the shop, gave me headaches when I was around it, he didn't last here but that stupid bottle of cancer is still kicking around, no one else will go near it.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    A Farewell to Fedron!!

We have been Fedron free for a while now. Could have re-stocked, but chose not to do so.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    A Farewell to Fedron!!

One thing I have used in the past to cleaning pressure roller cleaning rollers is Goof Off available from paint supply stores. Used to remove paint slopped onto hard surfaces like glass and metal.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    A Farewell to Fedron!!

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    One thing I have used in the past to cleaning pressure roller cleaning rollers is Goof Off available from paint supply stores. Used to remove paint slopped onto hard surfaces like glass and metal.
    You do have to be careful with Goof Off, it will melt plastic covers (learned by experience).
    Luckily, I was able to cover the melted cover with the company's ID tag.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    A Farewell to Fedron!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    You do have to be careful with Goof Off, it will melt plastic covers (learned by experience).
    Luckily, I was able to cover the melted cover with the company's ID tag.
    That's why I only used it on the all metal cleaning rollers . Goo Gone, WD-40 or peanut butter for removing adhesive residue from plastic, even then still did a test patch

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    That's why I only used it on the all metal cleaning rollers . Goo Gone, WD-40 or peanut butter for removing adhesive residue from plastic, even then still did a test patch
    Denatured alcohol works pretty good for removing label adhesive from plastic, and it smells kind of nice too.
    Apparently a buddy of mine from the mothership carried a bottle of "Everclear" for that reason, but that could just be a myth.