Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Construction Paper run in a Digital copier

Re: Construction Paper run in a Digital copier

If you have a school that needs to do a lot of copying on construction paper, they need to get a color inkjet wide document printer. There are even some that can print white ink onto colored papers.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    If you have a school that needs to do a lot of copying on construction paper, they need to get a color inkjet wide document printer. There are even some that can print white ink onto colored papers.
    Or a digital duplicator.
    Although prints per original is kind of an issue with duplicators, if they can't average at least 20 prints per original a duplicator will be unnecessarily costly to both the users of the machines and the people maintaining them. So slimslob has the best idea.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

There are printers that are designed specifically for doing the arm bands.

BUT THE SALESMAN SAID.......
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    BUT THE SALESMAN SAID.......
    I know from experience that there are wrist band forms can can be fed through an MFP. If everything is exactly correct, they do work until you get out the next box and layout is not exactly the same or they are actually for inkjet printers and don't stand up to the heat of the fusing unit or do not feed consistently with the composition of the pick up/feed rollers and the "Salesman" tells you "Just fix it"

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

I know from experience that there are wrist band forms can can be fed through an MFP. If everything is exactly correct, they do work until you get out the next box and layout is not exactly the same or they are actually for inkjet printers and don't stand up to the heat of the fusing unit or do not feed consistently with the composition of the pick up/feed rollers and the "Salesman" tells you "Just fix it"

That decision has to be reached by the customer and their sales rep. The contract is a large one for HP, they sub the service to LMS who subs it to my shop, who then sends me. The customer has told me that renewed business with HP depends on the service, or me. I am in a position where I get none of the credit if all goes well, but all of the blame if it goes bad. I am sure that me suggesting models to be purchased would not go over well. So far HP and LMS have been quick to replace problem machines. The old 4555's and 4540's have been doing OK when rollers are changed frequently, and problems with new models are HP problems. I am just the mechanic.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

I have a school account that has specific instructions not to use any kind of construction paper in the machines. Does this mean the teachers won't occasionally try to run it through the machine? No, and the result is always the same. Torn micropieces of the fibrous paper everywhere, serious paper dust and the ultimate exasperating statement "well, it used to run it ok".
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gneebore View Post
    He had them move the staple remover and paper clip cups to a table ten feet away and he put the note on the machine to make sure all staples and paper clips were removed from the originals before using the copier.
    That is unheard of. Having a customer do that is amazing!
    That has never happened to me, I have staples and paper clips flying through my machines.
    Never get charged for abuse its ridiculous.
    Izzy

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

In the past there used to be clear overhead projector sheets that could be used in laser printers and older analog small desktop copiers. But not in 40/50 copy per minute machines. Which one customer insisted on trying to run through a 40 cpm Mita even when the box had on the cover "do not use in commercial grade copiers" They managed to occasionally run a single sheet through. But when they needed fifty pages for sales or mechanics training they stacked the originals in the doc feeder and then stacked the overhead projector films in the bypass. And promptly melted the third or fourth one unto the fuser rolls. The worst part of the whole nonsense they had a low speed early hp printer that would print them just fine. Problem they had using the hp was it was "only for the gummed labels"

Even more fun was when I asked why they just didn't run off enough copies on regular paper to hand out they looked at me like" duh we have these so we can use the overhead projector in training classes and not waste all that paper. After the second time I made a copy of the box and put on the repair ticket that the plastic overhead sheet use was not covered under contract and any future calls to remove jams and melted plastic sheets would result in billable charges plus parts and travel.

Last I heard when they bought a new copier from a competitor a year later they started doing the same b/s to the new company and that company refused to put the machine under service contract when the warranty expired. They called us to check and see if we would cover the machine. We told them no because we were not a authorized dealer and cold not get tech support.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
    That is unheard of. Having a customer do that is amazing!
    That has never happened to me, I have staples and paper clips flying through my machines.
    Never get charged for abuse its ridiculous.
    He actually was one that started paying me on weekends to come in on my time and conduct "key operator training classes" later. He figured out eventually that he was losing money paying his people to stand around waiting for me to arrive to clear paper jams they actually were supposed to be able to do. I think it was a service call one time a few weeks later where the secretary called because the "waste toner light was on and the copier would not work" and he overheard me explain how to swap it and dispose of the old waste toner bottle.