Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Speaking of what's not being used much anymore....

I know I have posted about not using vacuum, meter, etc except maybe a few times a year. Was cleaning tool bag out and realize I haven't used a test chart in months if not years. I print internal test pages and use them as test chart to test copies & ADF.

Anyone else finding this to be true for them?

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Speaking of what's not being used much anymore....

I have always felt that the best test charts are docs that the customer actually copies and prints on a routine basis.

Copies of a factory provided test chart are meaningless to a customer.

Get a few examples of "what looks good" (also a good idea to have a customer approval signature) and keep them with the machine so that anyone servicing has access when needed. Feel free to keep a few copies stored elsewhere, too.

This is especially true for color. If the machine has a Fiery (or similar) keep a copy of the job (or jobs) in the hold queue so that it can be called up easily without even bothering someone to print it, then compare it to your target print(s).
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I can remember, back in the day, having to use them all the time. And, if you left it behind, some clients would take them and not let you know it was left behind, then, would try to use it to test there copier with... as, if the chart was some holy-grail or top secret tool.
    The test chart was an important tool... today, not so much, but it's nice to have to diagnose scanner, document feeder issues with, such as crooked copies or dust on optics.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts xring1958's Avatar

I use them when I need to compare copy color to original color. If I get a customer who complains that the color doesn't match what the monitor
    shows or that a different make of machine makes the colors different. When a customer states that the colors are correct on their monitor I always ask who calibrated the monitor and what the pantone number of the color is. Of course neither are known or done. Once we relied on the grey scales to adjust CQ but much of that is gone. It can be helpful when a customer wants copies darker but not too dark. Did any of you have one of the aluminum test charts?

I think I still have an aluminum chart somewhere- they never warp or wrinkle! Haven't used it in years!!!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I do most of my diagnostics with PDF gradations printed from USB. Rarely, you may find a scanner related issue, but a lot less often since halogen exposure lamps and their attendant cooling fan have gone away. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

You learn to make due after you've lost every single one you've had.

Quote Originally Posted by xring1958 View Post
    I use them when I need to compare copy color to original color. If I get a customer who complains that the color doesn't match what the monitor
    shows or that a different make of machine makes the colors different. When a customer states that the colors are correct on their monitor I always ask who calibrated the monitor and what the pantone number of the color is. Of course neither are known or done. Once we relied on the grey scales to adjust CQ but much of that is gone. It can be helpful when a customer wants copies darker but not too dark. Did any of you have one of the aluminum test charts?
    I never had an aluminum, but did get those more expensive ones that were made out of some kind of plastic. The service manager used to get pissed when you lost the 5 you were issued, in a few months time. He used to complain and say" that was your years supply, if those were dollar bills you would not forget them," Blah, blah, blah.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Good replies. Forgot to mention the name of test charts, the old timers will remember these names: sel-drum, Ames supply and Densigraphix (still around in Canada)

Ames was a good company, was my go to place back in the day for parts, platt tool cases, tools, vacs, etc. One of the only places us Indy's could get aftermarket parts back in the 80's.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

after 30yrs ( and having trained countless newbies )... what i see not being used much anymore by the techs in the field is:

Common Sense and GOOD LOGICAL Troubleshooting Skills

NO ONE wants to RTFM..... and THINK about the process of image formation thru to the exit of the finished product.

Far too many people I see here are swapping boards instead of looking at the the image as it forms and progresses.