Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: The future of printers?

At gas stations that have the "Pay at pump" capability, the actual pumps have printers in them that use the exact same thermal technology that some of the analog microfilm reader/printers I worked on back in the '80s used.
    Printers might change, but they won't be going away in our lifetime.
    Last edited by Iowatech; 05-19-2018 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Duh, the 3M microfilm reader/printers that I worked on in the '80s were all analog, sorry for not putting that in originally

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    The future of printers?

There has been talk of "Paper less society" and that all of our jobs were going to be suffering, since the early part of the 90's. The government being the government, business's have to have hard records(paper reproductions) of certain transaction's, be it, medical, financial, realty, legal, ect. So, as far as the foreseeable future, we have job security. God Bless America. MAG!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

The world of technology is moving fast.

It is unpredictable. Many things no longer exist on paper.

I have read something about printers that can be interesting.

For example, the Toshiba project to make reusable paper.

toner monkey 100+ Posts jamesyboy's Avatar

the future is INK, Toner is proving to be a bit nasty

hp pagewide technology

they will be easier to fix

What is INK?

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

This may be relevant to this thread. About 3 years ago I lost a military contract to Lexmark. I didn't understand why. The cost to print on an x792 is very high. Last week a former employee of ours who works for our biggest competitor told me that they are pulling their Ricoh's because they are being replaced by Lexmark. My boss clued me in. Lexmark pulled down a huge contract with the government. They are selling these boxes that retail for between $2500 to $3300, for $600 to $800 each, in large batches, with a full service plan. Customer has to buy OEM supplies. This is spreading across the country, beware the Lexmark is coming. Hard to sell a real copier when these over sized desktop printers are passing as real copiers.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    The future of printers?

Quote Originally Posted by Bix View Post
    The world of technology is moving fast.

It is unpredictable. Many things no longer exist on paper.

I have read something about printers that can be interesting.

For example, the Toshiba project to make reusable paper.
    North America seems to have a different attitude towards paper and the environment than the rest of the world. Paper is perceived as cheap and plentiful. There is little concern about reusing paper. A product like the Toshiba e3508LP paper reusing copier sells much better outside of North America.

In other parts of the world like Japan and Europe people seem much more concerned about the environment, perhaps due to higher population densities, and care about reducing CO2, water and electricity consumption by recycling paper.

In North America color copiers account for 70%+ of new copier sales whereas black copiers are more popular else where in the world allowing a broader opportunity for the e3508LP to be quoted.
    Last edited by SalesServiceGuy; 05-21-2018 at 02:49 PM.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    The future of printers?

In North America, we are set up for a "perfect storm" of cut sheet paper price increases starting immediately up to 15% this year and 15% next year.

5,000 sheets of paper is approx $45.00 to $50.00 this year. In 2-3 years it will probably be closer to $60.00 per case.

For many years, for the paper mills, profitability in cut sheet paper has been flat.

Due to the explosion in eCommerce, the demand for corrugated cardboard shipping boxes has made these paper mills shift product to this higher profit item. As a result there is less capacity to make cut sheet paper. In fact the large buyers of paper like Staples and Costco are on allocation limiting the amount of paper they can buy at one time.

In North America, gas prices have begun to rise and there is a shortage of truck drivers. Therefore, transportation costs on paper has begun to rise.

If anything will change the printer industry, it will be increased paper costs.

worker drone 250+ Posts

With our legal system, there will always need to be a paperwork trail to show "who's fault is wasn't"

Quote Originally Posted by Coptech View Post
    With our legal system, there will always need to be a paperwork trail to show "who's fault is wasn't"

Right ... But for how long? In europe, the legal world is being digitized.

For example, the signatures are now becoming digital with the biometric signature