Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Have you ever had one of those days? UHHGG!

I've been twisting screwdrivers on copiers, printers and scanners for some time (24 years +) and enjoy what I do. However, after all these years, have not found a way to place duct tape over clients mouth, without loosing my job or possibly going to jail for "assault with Duct tape," you know, wrap it around their heads a couple of times and one more for good measure! Just to shut them up for a few!
    First call of the day, today, was out to service 4- HP 4250n for jamming and bad prints. First, all were 100k past maintenance cycle and using China made aftermarket toners giving non HP toner error. I quoted the client what it would be to install new maintenance kits as well as a quote for toners, as requested by the client. Their response was it is too expensive to replace the maintenance kits and they would just buy more refurbed ones online to replace the ones that needed maintenance kits. I asked obout the toners... no, we will just continue to buy the ones on line (even though the print quality is shit). So, I gave them our charge for me to diagnose the issues, and they could not believe that we would charge for "someone to diagnose something and not fix it," my reply," I did offer to fix it, but you thought it was too much because you can order more online". After, the client huffing and puffing, they gave me their credit card, so I could apply the charge.
    Next call, was to an insurance agency that has some tabletop copiers they run the hell out of (Kyo M2535dn), well the 2 I looked at needed fusers, I quoted the owner a price to repair the 2 and he stated giong off about how his Doctor friend just buys HP's at the Office Superstore and never has any issues. I asked him " how much is he paying for his toner cartridges?" His reply... "Uh, he buys those generic ones online... so not much." I asked him if he wanted me repair these copiers or call his "Dr. friend" to order a new "cheap HP?" He opted to fix the 2 copiers with new fusers. I wanted to say, so badly, and now maybe wish I did.... Maybe, I should buy my insurance online, after-all, it's much cheaper and I won't have to listen to you rant about cheap online garbage, anymore. Him of all people should get what happens when you buy cheap products or services on line.
    My, next call involved a realtor who purchased a copier two years ago, small office, herself and her Secretary. She bought a low metered MX-C312 about two years ago and a Kyocera FS-C5350cdn. In that two years, we have only replaced, on the Sharp, a pressure detect switch on the Fuser (customer error- improper shut down) on the Kyocera- a transfer belt and a black drum ( all in a two years time and about 60k copies between the two products), so basically, they have gone through just toners. Mind you, the company did replace items under the warranty period when they were sold back about two years ago (transfer belt on the Sharp and maybe a fuser for clicking). I went there because the fuser is wrinkling the paper on the Sharp ( BTW-fuser mode is set to 28lb paper to avoid wrinkling), it is clicking and will need bearings to resolve wrinkling issue as well as the clicking. Boy, did she go off on how good her Brother machine at home is and she would "NEVER buy another refurbished product again in her life and how much she "Loves" her Good old faithful Brother printer she bought for $250.00. Again, I wish I had a roll of duct tape because I would have wrapped that roll around her mouth and head several times. And, to top it off... I was assigned this account because the tech that services it is on vacation.
    Geez, I just don't get it sometimes, what if I bought my insurance online, what is I bought my real estate online, what if bought my cars online, what if I did my title closings online. I get we all work hard for our money... but you do get what you pay for. When I started in this industry there were no super stores to buy printers from, there was no internet shopping.... you would call your local mom and pop establishment and deal with them, that's what made our local economy strong and kept people in jobs. It seems we live in a world where everybody is obsessed about online deals and screw the copier dealer down the road, who employs skilled technicians to fix these issues, or they are now using online videos to fix the copiers or printers. Today, I actually met someone with the title of IT Administrator, that does not know to to set up scan to SMB... sign me up for that job! IT Administrator my ass...I bet they got their degree online. Today,some people have long titles or degrees but short on common sense.
    I think I'm done with my rant... I know we all deal with this stuff in our profession... and, there are the clients who are happy your there to "save the day," so it all balances out in the end, but ...today, I could have used a few rolls of Duct Tape, then, peeled it off slowly, once they shut up and came to there senses.

Good Day!!

Re: Have you ever had one of those days? UHHGG!

This get every thing online age is destroying good old walk in businesses. I want to buy some tool i need but would love to handle it and get a feel...
    Feel the frustration, as if they think you are some kind of thug. Thank goodness i only do contract customers.

Also have days where it feels like i want to tape the customers up and have my say. My boss will get an email before the door hits the frame.
    Whatever

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

It has been a couple years since I retired but the original post in this thread really brought back some memories along the same line of nonsense. Like the time one customer told me "We bought the HP inkjet printer because it is a color printer and costs one fifth as much as that laser machine you were pushing. I did point out we suggested the laser due to their volume of work and they had a much higher suggested replacement cycle. Like 10k for the ink jet versus a 100 k maint. cycle or the laser. Yes the calls started coming in the ink was running out too fast and the paper feed was jamming after only two cases of paper use. Even more dimwitted was the same customer refused to buy an office grade electronic typewriter and opted for a 90 dollar portable. Best part was we were actually the warranty service center for the typewriter. But that meant they had to bring it to us for repair and no onsite coverage. We specifically warned them that we were not authorized to repair their new typewriter in their office. They called anyway and actually a few of these types of "I'm saving a bunch of money by buying a typewriter from the discount place" called in formal complaints to the manufacturer because we refused to repair under warranty onsite. It became our standard response to ask them to have the receipt where they paid us for whatever they bought. If it wasn't from us then they would expect a bill.

And of course there were also the same customers you mentioned that would buy even back before the internet mail order toner and office supplies. Even more fun were the customers that bought from toner pirates and then demanded we fix their copier after they used the wrong toner in their machines.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

working for the boss I do, EVERY DAY is one of those days.
    I've been on this end of a screwdriver for 30+ years.... am 61yrs old and they feel they have to MICRO MANAGE us.... one girl worked here for 60days... she quit on Sunday ( via email ) now her work will be split between the last two " peons " here ( myself and his sister - in - law * she's fixing to quit also * )

no health beni's ... 15/hr and they ride my ass like I am a donkey.... I see an employment change in my future also!

they give out my company phone # to customers.... and then get pissed off when I don't answer after 1800hrs and on weekends. ( haven't had vacation... but I'm sure they will try to call on those days also.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    I've been on this end of a screwdriver for 30+ years.... am 61yrs old and they feel they have to MICRO MANAGE us.... one girl worked here for 60days... she quit on Sunday ( via email ) now her work will be split between the last two " peons " here ( myself and his sister - in - law * she's fixing to quit also * )

no health beni's ... 15/hr and they ride my ass like I am a donkey.... I see an employment change in my future also!

they give out my company phone # to customers.... and then get pissed off when I don't answer after 1800hrs and on weekends. ( haven't had vacation... but I'm sure they will try to call on those days also.
    Had that happen to me too. The dimwitted "senior tech" actually told me they paid for the phone so I had to leave it turned on and answer it at any time of the day or night. A customer might need an emergency repair so we had to respond. Got around the nice little trick they pulled by not allowing the phone to be turned off by leaving it in on the only charger they had available: A cigarette plug in charger. Can'r answer the phone if it is in the car and I am in the house.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gneebore View Post
    A customer might need an emergency repair so we had to respond. Got around the nice little trick they pulled by not allowing the phone to be turned off by leaving it in on the only charger they had available: A cigarette plug in charger. Can'r answer the phone if it is in the car and I am in the house.

hmmm Brother ME likey your solution!
    in my case we have NO customers that get/pay for 24/7/365 service! but some of my calls have been about ordering supplies... Thank GOD my buddy built and order portal into our website!

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Yikes! I'm glad the mothership wasn't anything like that. At least not until the very end anyway. But I got lucky, oh well. Sorry about that.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Many bad days I learn that after putting 20-40 hours of unpaid work on nights and weekends into responding to a large RFP (that you know is probably cooked towards one vendor) and you learn that you are not going to get the deal.

I often do not bother to respond to RFPs over 10 copiers anymore even though I often can be lowest price because the RFP is written to weight price as only 30% of the total evaluation. 70% is subjective.

Many other bad days when a key technician leaves the copier business to work in other industries. In this computerized world, there is still a great demand for break/fix technicians who can see a mechanical problem and fix it. We pay technicians well and do not ask them to work after hours. IT technicians are much easier to come by but they usually can not fix a toaster let alone a modern MFP. As a Sales Guy, I daily give the service techs that I work with advice because over the years there was often no one there to fix the copier other than myself and my laptop.

I would like that roll of duct tape for a couple of our managers.......

hmmm Brother ME likey your solution!
    in my case we have NO customers that get/pay for 24/7/365 service! but some of my calls have been about ordering supplies... Thank GOD my buddy built and order portal into our website!
    Even worse were the customers that used caller id to learn my cell phone number when I called them to confirm a service call. Or ask about the problem they were having just in case I needed to stop and get parts. Then some had the bright idea they could actually get me to show up faster if they called me directly instead of going through the dispatcher. Or they could call on the weekend and let me know the needed supplies real fast in the morning . So they would call me on my cell after hours because the office stopped answering the phones. Which is really weird since if the office stopped answering the phone after five then how in the heck were they getting thosew emergency calls that I needed to have my cell phone turned on for.