Thread: Getting older

Senior Tech 250+ Posts vincent64's Avatar

Getting older

I recently had to have a medical issue taken care of, yes I was scared, no, terrified may be better term, found out I had cataracts and needed eye surgery, it took a couple of months to get to the surgery part, just because so many people need it, thought I was a bit young for them, was told, or asked that several times, but I tell you, after it was done, I am no longer wearing my glasses anymore, and driving at night is no longer a problem.
    If you are having vision trouble, get it checked the whole procedure takes about 10 min, per eye, and yes, they do them one at a time, a few weeks apart.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Geo's Avatar

Re: Getting older

The person ( must have been in their 20 's) that came up with the phrase " the golden years" needs a serious beat down . Nothing golden about them , more like "the tarnished years"..

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

In my mind, this is how it's supposed to work...
    You work and pay taxes for 45 years or so, then you are supposed to be able to retire and live out your remaining years in some level of comfort.
    Here's reality...

You work for 50 or so years, save what you can (IRA, pension ect) pay off your house, car,ect..Retire and draw your SS that you have earned..6 months later you get cancer lose everything you saved to pay the bill, then you are destitute and living in the street for your remaining years.

My plan is to work until the day I die, I enjoy what I do, so why not...

Technician
    Getting older

Quote Originally Posted by vincent64 View Post
    I recently had to have a medical issue taken care of, yes I was scared, no, terrified may be better term, found out I had cataracts and needed eye surgery, it took a couple of months to get to the surgery part, just because so many people need it, thought I was a bit young for them, was told, or asked that several times, but I tell you, after it was done, I am no longer wearing my glasses anymore, and driving at night is no longer a problem.
    If you are having vision trouble, get it checked the whole procedure takes about 10 min, per eye, and yes, they do them one at a time, a few weeks apart.
    It seems you hare happy with the procedure. That's great to hear.

Both of my parents got laser eye surgery on the same day about 15 years ago. My father still considers it some of the best money he has ever spent.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Getting older

The down side of being able to see again it that copiers that you thought were working perfectly suddenly have copy quality problems
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.