Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Rise Of Technology

Re: Rise Of Technology

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    Well, I never used an 'abacus', but the slide rule was used, because the hand held calculator had not hit the market
    Heh heh, I read this and actually remember being taught to use a slide rule in high school. I imagine they still work fine, no batteries required.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Technician

When it comes to A.I.
    I remember seeing about how the military was planning on implementing A.I. for part of their operations, don't remember exactly how. And as was already mentioned, A.I. continues to advance to the point that some seem to becoming self aware.

Has no one in the A.I. industry seen any of the Terminator movies????? Cause I say we leave A.I. where it is currently at and maybe even give it some old firmware to drop it back a few steps since we may already be past the point of no return.

former propeller tester 250+ Posts

there used to be a phrase used in songs etc that went 'thank god that shoes don't talk'. Well guess what.........

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

Unhappy Re: Rise Of Technology

Quote Originally Posted by JoeK View Post
    When it comes to A.I.
    I remember seeing about how the military was planning on implementing A.I. for part of their operations, don't remember exactly how. And as was already mentioned, A.I. continues to advance to the point that some seem to becoming self aware.

Has no one in the A.I. industry seen any of the Terminator movies????? Cause I say we leave A.I. where it is currently at and maybe even give it some old firmware to drop it back a few steps since we may already be past the point of no return.
    What, and stand in the way of progress? Turning over all aspects of our lives to computers and technology is the smartest thing we have done. What could possibly go wrong? I wonder what Stephen Hawking thought of AI? Hmmmmm.....

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JoeK View Post
    When it comes to A.I.

A.I. an the Line of Reality:

What scares the living crap out of me, each new generation of children plays computer game shootem-up bad guy on a home computer screen. Those generations of children become emotionally numb/separated due to continually seeing the pixilation of characters on a computer screen. Those same generation of children become the next generation of soldiers who use the same computer screens to attack real characters on a computer screen.
    The whole emotionally disconnected fantasy and reality shootem-up bad guy becomes blurred on their computer screen. Oops sorry I just Nuked an entire town. Was that a real town or a computer simulation today? Oh well, who gives a sh!t anyway, I'm still protected behind my computer screen, I get to go home an sleep peacefully sound tonight.

Drone machines don't have emotional feelings nor a sense of humanity.
    Last edited by NeoMatrix; 08-02-2018 at 03:01 AM.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    A.I. an the Line of Reality:

What scares the living crap out of me, each new generation of children plays computer game shootem-up bad guy on a home computer screen. Those generations of children become emotionally numb/separated due to continually seeing the pixilation of characters on a computer screen. Those same generation of children become the next generation of soldiers who use the same computer screens to attack real characters on a computer screen.
    The whole emotionally disconnected fantasy and reality shootem-up bad guy becomes blurred on their computer screen. Oops sorry I just Nuked an entire town. Was that a real town or a computer simulation today? Oh well, who gives a sh!t anyway, I'm still protected behind my computer screen, I get to go home an sleep peacefully sound tonight.

Drone machines don't have emotional feelings nor a sense of humanity.

Reminds me of the book/movie Enders Game. In the end what the kids thought was nothing more than a simulation turned out to be a real annihilation. The older group in charge knew that as long as they believed it was nothing more than a simulation that they would do what ever it would take to 'win the game'.