Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Maybe those customers aren't crazy after all... try and explain this.

This happened today, I witnessed it with two other people on two separate occasions and had it happen to me. Maybe we are all nuts. See if you can explain it.

Toshiba 351c

-Paper put in ADF; face up, top to wall.
    -Letterhead put in bypass; face down top to wall.

Copy comes out upside down on letter head. Me thinks:"I don't remember it having to be turned that way..."

Try number two:

-Paper put in ADF; face up, top to wall. (same as before)
    -Paper put in bypass; face down, top towards user. (opposite before)

Copy STILL comes out upside down on letter head. Me doesn't know what to thinks.

Logical? NO!!! Originals oriented identical all times in ADF, turning the paper 180 degrees in bypass and copier still reverses image! Try 1 puts image oriented away from you, try 2 orients image towards you.

WHY???, it is driving me nuts. I see some customers come up with some good ones but I swear this really happened today just as described.

The salesman had it happening to him in the AM he had already tried 4 times, I assisted it happened all 3 times to me. We succeeded in making a copy off the glass and having it come out right. We walked away and shook our heads. Later in the PM my service manager tried it and it happened to him with me there, again we shook our heads and walked away.

What's the world coming to?

Field Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Maybe those customers aren't crazy after all... try and explain this.

I'm not familiar with this machine, but is it possible that binding/staple is set as default. It won't stapple or bind 1 copy but it will rotate the image so the stapple would be in the selected conner? just a thought.
    Online Store is closed. Chip resetting is a thing of the past! Thank you to all my past customers.
    Now into Ip TV KODI Boxes

That's good thinking and might have something to do with it. I'll investigate. However, we weren't stapling because we were using 3 originals through the ADF at once onto three sheets of letter head (all turned the same)... and it did not staple that set. Which, it should have done if staple was selected by default. Also perplexing how it did not do it off the glass but only through the ADF.

Copier Technician 250+ Posts
    If this was any other Toshiba color box I would know the answer because in most Toshiba color machines there is an OHP sensor in the bypass which when light is reflected back it know the paper is not transparent, but when there is no light reflected back it treats it as OHP.

When you place the paper in the first orientation the paper would be detected as normal paper, but when you turn the paper 180 degrees the letterhead prevents light from being reflected back and it is detected as OHP and the image is flipped.

However, the 351c does not utilize the OHP sensor so I am stumped unless you are mistaken about the model.

Well it's a 451c. I was familar with the OHP sensor on the 4520series (I think.) But, I didn't realize it flipped the image... so that might be it! I'll have to check it out on a 4520 and next time I go out on a 451.

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar
    I is do to what was selected as to output tray and whether or not it is in sort, nonsort, group mode. Each of these has a separate way of orienting the output and that dictates which way the paper needs to be put into the bypass. I demonstrated this to our trainer and they never remember seeing it in the field until the ebridge 2 series came out. For example non-sort top tray will have the out put with the head towards the back of the machine but if you sort it it comes out toward the front. (or vise-versa)
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Ok that must be it then. Somehow between switching the letterhead's orientation in the bypass sort must have been changed to non-sort or vice-versa. I'm not sure how as we were using ADF, it should have selected sort. Also all we did was, flip the bypass and hit start again no other inputs. But, somehow that has to be what happened... it's the only thing that makes sense. I did not realize the output orientation ever changed so that's interesting indeed.

Copier Technician 250+ Posts
    That is the part that puzzles me. In your scenario the ONLY change was the paper in the bypass turning 180 degrees. That, in itself, should not have change ANY setting at all ... zero ... zip. But somehow the copier detected the difference and sifted the image 180 degrees. The only sensors in the bypass on a 351c are paper size, paper present, and paper feed ... none of which could detect orientation. This flies in the face of EVERY theory I have read so far, including my own.

Except that maybe, like Mr. Spock had mentioned, it was a sort/non-sort issue. By default when you use the ADF puts the machine in sort mode, but if it times out before the start button is pressed it defaults back to non-sort. Kind of a stretch, but possible.

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baphomet View Post
    Except that maybe, like Mr. Spock had mentioned, it was a sort/non-sort issue. By default when you use the ADF puts the machine in sort mode, but if it times out before the start button is pressed it defaults back to non-sort. Kind of a stretch, but possible.
    If you "accidently" hit the function clear button while paper is in the adf then it also goes back to non-sort mode. Found this out the hard way with a customer.
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

jayno
    disable auto sort and see