Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    C.I.P.'s (Customer Induced Problems)

Anyone else have some end users that you wonder how their brains generate enough electricity to keep their legs moving?

Had one today... Customer call for "ADF Jamming all the time". Turned out they were attempting to photocopy checks and deposit slips using the ADF.

...I wish I were kidding!! And people wonder why my hairline is visibly receding!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: C.I.P.'s (Customer Induced Problems)

Does anybody remember the Mita DC-131? It was relatively common to get drum wraps ... but they were normally pretty uneventful if the enduser just called us to remove the drum wrap.

About a week after this billable customer had paid for the new drum, this nice older lady used a bent coat-hanger to fish out the paper jam through the corona unit slots. I was so unhappy to tell her that she had scratched up her 7 day old drum, and there was no way we could warranty coat-hanger scratching. She had done less than 100 pages since the drum installation.

You have to ask yourself though: If I had a paper jam in a machine that used high voltages in the range of 5000vdc, would I bend a coat-hanger and insert it into the corona unit portals? It sounds a little suicidal. It's a good thing that the front doorswitch shuts off the HVT. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Just a tech 250+ Posts keithxxiii's Avatar

Had a customer recently moved from one desk to another and is having an SPC320. The customer called up for support saying after moving, print does not happen. Customer wants tech ASAP 'cause he needs to print something. Only to find out the he connected the USB cable to the network interface.
    Aye! Cut the crap

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zeldaman's Avatar

Hi there!
    RICOH MP 402 - SOP shows home-screen, no buttons can used no function at all. Solution: there were fingerprints on the screen so they use much, much cleanerfluid. Not on a piece of cotton, no directly on/in the screen - exitus. The spare-part is so expensive, they bought a new machine!!!
    Greetings...

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Dumbest customer induced problem I can remember was with a Canon NP1020. We rented office equipment short term to contractors that had temporary offices on construction job sites, typewriters ,faxes and desktop copiers. Well we had one contractor that was a repeat customer and he liked to rent the Canon. Easy to use reliable and fit in the small office trailer he had. He "hired" an new secretary. Let's say she was an embodiment of a certain hair color joke. We got a call from her that the copier was smoking and not working at all. Emergency call so went out immediately. I get there and machine covers are lightly blackened with smoke and the machine luckily was unplugged. Now for the good part. I noticed a bottle of liquid "toner" for an ancient blueprint machine the customer used. Canon copier runs low on toner and the add toner light comes on. Seems little miss secretary had seen the "toner" printed on the bottle of the liquid toner and poured that into the copier toner tube and then put it back into the Canon. Which then leaked all over the insides of the Canon and shorted out the transfer separation corona and the power supply and the main board and fried the power supply before the fuses blew but not before a few of the components on the power supply fried.

The best part was when asked why she put a liquid into and tube that obviously had power in it ( her boss asked her not me) her reply was hilarious. "Well the machine asked for toner so I found the bottle on the shelf and used it like the directions said"

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Cool Re: C.I.P.'s (Customer Induced Problems)

Quote Originally Posted by gneebore View Post
    Dumbest customer induced problem I can remember was with a Canon NP1020. We rented office equipment short term to contractors that had temporary offices on construction job sites, typewriters ,faxes and desktop copiers. Well we had one contractor that was a repeat customer and he liked to rent the Canon. Easy to use reliable and fit in the small office trailer he had. He "hired" an new secretary. Let's say she was an embodiment of a certain hair color joke. We got a call from her that the copier was smoking and not working at all. Emergency call so went out immediately. I get there and machine covers are lightly blackened with smoke and the machine luckily was unplugged. Now for the good part. I noticed a bottle of liquid "toner" for an ancient blueprint machine the customer used. Canon copier runs low on toner and the add toner light comes on. Seems little miss secretary had seen the "toner" printed on the bottle of the liquid toner and poured that into the copier toner tube and then put it back into the Canon. Which then leaked all over the insides of the Canon and shorted out the transfer separation corona and the power supply and the main board and fried the power supply before the fuses blew but not before a few of the components on the power supply fried.

The best part was when asked why she put a liquid into and tube that obviously had power in it ( her boss asked her not me) her reply was hilarious. "Well the machine asked for toner so I found the bottle on the shelf and used it like the directions said"

LOL!!

had a print shop place a service call for a mis-spelled word on every copy

worker drone 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Does anybody remember the Mita DC-131? It was relatively common to get drum wraps ... but they were normally pretty uneventful if the enduser just called us to remove the drum wrap.
    Yes...magnets on the scanner for timing, no cleaning unit at all...I always described those machines as "when everything is perfect, they are on the ragged edge of working"

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar

Had a call for blank copies several years ago. Luckily they showed me what they did before I spent any time troubleshooting it. They got "oh some message or something about toner". Sound familiar? They thought they knew how to fix it. They pulled out the developer unit and completely emptied it in the trash can. Then put it back in and got blank copies. They said they'd seen me do it many times before and just thought that's all that needed done. In their defense it was a Ricoh with B296 developer. And yes, I had changed that developer many, many times. I had to laugh because it was about due to be replaced anyway.

The funny thing was when Ricoh came out with a new model and the specs went from the developer lasting 160k to 260k. I was lucky to get 80k out of that lousy B296 developer. 260k?!? Your funny Ricoh.

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

Call says transparency jammed.

Customer: Yeah there was a transparency jammed in there but we got it out and now the machine is not working.

US: (Laughs) yeah that's not a transparency and it wont work because you cut out the transferbelt.