Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Smoking?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Smoking?

Re: Smoking?

I smoked for almost 20 years. At one point, I made a rule that I would not smoke in my car or my apartment. I had just bought a new car and moved into a new place, and I didn't want them to smell like stale smoke. Standing outside at -40 trying to smoke makes you wonder if it's really worth it. When I decided to quit, it took about a year and a half of stopping and starting before I stopped for good. I remember bumming a smoke from a friend and lighting it up. After 2 puffs, it didn't taste good anymore, so I put it out and never picked up another one. The nicotine cravings were bad for a couple days, but the psychological cravings lasted for years. The best things about quitting are the money saved and the lack of the annual bronchitis flare up. My best advice is, drink a lot of water.

Service Tech / IT Rep 100+ Posts JVergin's Avatar

Used to smoke around a pack a day. Chantix helped me quit. An interesting side effect of it is "Vivid dreams" and they aren't kidding!

Way over a month of no smoking.
    Now its kicking in, forgetting about the nicotine drops but all kinds of manifestation has set in.
    Mood swings, agitation, over eating, tiredness.

Not craving for a smoke but need to figure this out, stopped smoking because of health problems only to create some others.
    Whatever

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    Smoking?

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Way over a month of no smoking.
    Now its kicking in, forgetting about the nicotine drops but all kinds of manifestation has set in.
    Mood swings, agitation, over eating, tiredness.

Not craving for a smoke but need to figure this out, stopped smoking because of health problems only to create some others.
    I'm guessing mood swings, agitation, over eating and tiredness are not as bad for you as smoking. These symptoms will pass as your body gets used to the lack of chemicals provided by smoking.
    Good job so far. Keep it up, well worth the temporary discomfort.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Smoking?

I quit by using the gum. It took me 2 1/2 years to quit the gum. I figured it was still better than smoking. Now I have been quit for many years with never having any yearnings to start again.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post
    Now in my 50s, but in late 20s I met my future wife. On our 1st date I lit up.."I don't date smokers". Put it out, threw the pack away and never lit another one. (started at 14 yrs old BTW). Fast forward 3 years or so...out at sea (navy) and bored as hell. Friend gives me a dip to try. Hooked on that shit for nearly 20 years...kept it from my wife for 10 years after we were married...She absolutly hates it and it almost caused a divorce...We did come to terms..(I continue to hide it from her, and she doesn't bring it up) but the smooch level went to almost zero...Finally started getting gum/jaw problems (nothing scary) and last week I threw the crap out once more..The dip cravings are much worse than the cigs..I find myself sitting at my desk and reaching for that can 25 times a day..but I think I have it under control...The wife is very happy..lol
    Been just over 1 month and I have not fallen back into the habit...Even found a can in the car last week about 1/4 full..Threw it in the shitcan..Not saying it's easy...every day my hand drops to that non existent can at least 1 dozen times. I can feel the affects (or lack of negative affects) now..Gums don't screech out in pain when I eat spicy food, stomach not rolling around as nicotine gets swallowed, don't have to spend $10 per week on breath mints, (let alone the $25 per week for dip, and this was the cheap stuff). Teeth cleaning actually stays whiter for a few days now..The only thing I don't get is the wife...She was constantly nagging me about this, and never missed an opportunity to get a dig in about it. Not nagging me anymore, but very little positive results from her...I guess I really didn't quit for her anyway.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Smoking?

Been just over 1 month and I have not fallen back into the habit...Even found a can in the car last week about 1/4 full..Threw it in the shitcan..Not saying it's easy...every day my hand drops to that non existent can at least 1 dozen times. I can feel the affects (or lack of negative affects) now..Gums don't screech out in pain when I eat spicy food, stomach not rolling around as nicotine gets swallowed, don't have to spend $10 per week on breath mints, (let alone the $25 per week for dip, and this was the cheap stuff). Teeth cleaning actually stays whiter for a few days now..The only thing I don't get is the wife...She was constantly nagging me about this, and never missed an opportunity to get a dig in about it. Not nagging me anymore, but very little positive results from her...I guess I really didn't quit for her anyway.
    Well you have to do it for yourself. Also if you fail you have to just wait till next time you are ready and try again. Most people take multiple times before they are successful. I know I quit many times and thought it was for good and till went back to it. Just kept trying till I was successful.

Hey feeling it. Are you using a nicotine replacement? I can not recommend this for i am not a doctor but the oral use of 18mg vape liquid was a super help.
    Forgot to take it with me the other day, and was still close enough to home to turn back to go get it. Then only realized i have not used it since noon the previous day!
    That is where the psychology kicks in where your lie to yourself telling yourself you will not make it and that you need it. Its post dramatic bullshit that can blow by in 5min if you can make it so far.
    Funny thing is when i got home i forgot about it until about 9pm when i saw it on the table.

As a busy copier tech i get how difficult is can be and what a great stress relief tobacco can be.
    For greater understanding of the issue i found the ironic topic of the "health benefits of nicotine" to be very helpful.

Some non smoking people seem to use nicotine for its qualities but so others use kiddie coke aka Ritalin for similar reasons.
    Used Ritalin to try and get me off the party powder back in the good old days.
    Well that stuff made me remember 10 digit numbers at a glace and made focusing on a problem seem effortless, BUT lost empathy and interpersonal interest completely.
    Kind of know how a psychopath feels after that... Scared me senseless.
    Get why people go thru with it if they had any form of suicidal fantasies before using psychotropics. Or what the criminally inclined will get up to in that state.

Just could not do it cold turkey after all the years, not smoking is really weird.
    At the end i really hated it and resented my self for continuing and knowing it could turn fatal.
    Really good job on fighting this battle.

Next coffee...
    Last edited by allan; 04-26-2019 at 08:17 PM.
    Whatever

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

No, nothing in the way of replacements..but I am visiting the fridge a lot more..Hard to eat with a big pinch between the chhek and gum. 5 weeks now and have't fallen off the wagon..Going on a 2 weekend hike at the end of the month, that will be the real test..

No, nothing in the way of replacements..but I am visiting the fridge a lot more..Hard to eat with a big pinch between the chhek and gum. 5 weeks now and have't fallen off the wagon..Going on a 2 weekend hike at the end of the month, that will be the real test..
    Glad you are hold strong.
    Started collecting hiking gear a month or so ago. The decent stuff is expensive so its going slow!
    Where about?
    Whatever