Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Anyone APAP/CPAP?

Anyone APAP/CPAP?

I'm in need of an APAP or automatic CPAP device for the treatment of Sleep Apnea Treatment.

What is the difference between CPAP and APAP? | Sleep Apnea Treatment - Sharecare

Since these units cost here in Germany $ 2,500.00 and up I would love to share experiences what Brand/Device would be preferable. The device itself is just a simple box with an airblower and stupid electronics with sensors to control the airflow. Nothing compared to our hightech MFP's. Should not cost this obscene high price, but IF I have to pay this I want the very best. Any useful personal experience- and background information you want to share with me please?

Hans
    Last edited by Hansoon; 01-08-2019 at 11:19 AM.
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Re: Anyone APAP/CPAP?

Hi Hans

Here we just train a monkey to operate a bicycle pump. If it sees you rolling around it pumps faster.

I wonder about the medical industry these days...

My brother inlaw needs uses a CPAP restmed S9 but that is dated. He is a really heavy set guy and that works for him.
    Always wondered how it must be trying to sleep with it. My sister must not even hear it anymore.
    But nothing as bad as waking up all tingeing and disorientated never getting to the right sleep state and in limbo between dreaming and awake.

That seems to be way out of range on the cost for CPAP. See that here you can get a CPAP starting at around $450.
    APAP seems like a better option and does not need the regular adjustment and would probably work a hole lot better.
    It depends on how much you like the sleep clinic I guess.

Or there are rental options so you can test and evaluate the machine before you get it.

That $2500 does that include any other added services?
    Is that for an APAP machine?
    Whatever

Anyone APAP/CPAP?

Here we just train a monkey to operate a bicycle pump. If it sees you rolling around it pumps faster.
    LOL!

That would be an APAP device Allan. "Service" (adjustments in the software) would be done by my Sleep Medicine Doc, but I want to get the clinic software to do it myself. (Hah, for what am I used to fiddling around with adjustments/firmware in my profession?)

Rental would be an option. Will go there tomorrow and see. But I want to highest technical standard. Very low noise, lots of options (I like Bling Bling, Bells & Whistles and lots of buttons to fool around with ), Humidifier, Heated air hose, everything thinkable. If there's one "with CYMK" I would take it. lol

Hans

Then guess buying from the internet. First find a supplier that will give you the support.
    Whatever

Can't use sleeping medicine I get the Quaalude effect.
    Definitely an insomniac and a night owl.
    Especially now that I take care of only a few machines.
    Whatever

Hehe then just spend the money

The Phillips seems to meet some of your high standards.
    DreamStation mmm.
    Whatever

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Anyone APAP/CPAP?

Son has one, it helped save his marriage and is now allowed back in the marital bed. Don't know how much he paid for it. I do know he paid several hundred dollars for an anti snoring mouth guard that worked well until the dog found it and gave it a chew.

And while we're having a whinge about the high cost of medical electronics, why do hearing aids cost so much?
    My smart phone only costs a fraction of what they want for a hearing aid and it does oh so much more!!
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    I'm in need of an APAP or automatic CPAP device for the treatment of Sleep Apnea Treatment.

What is the difference between CPAP and APAP? | Sleep Apnea Treatment - Sharecare

Since these units cost here in Germany $ 2,500.00 and up I would love to share experiences what Brand/Device would be preferable. The device itself is just a simple box with an airblower and stupid electronics with sensors to control the airflow. Nothing compared to our hightech MFP's. Should not cost this obscene high price, but IF I have to pay this I want the very best. Any useful personal experience- and background information you want to share with me please?

Hans
    Re. Sleep Apnea and Dust Mites in the Bed.

Get rid of all your pillows. Pillows are dirt cheap($7-$10)
    Have your bed mattress cleaned by a professional vac/steam cleaner from all the dust mites.
    Place the mattress out in the sun light for 12 hrs turning in over 6 hrs.
    Once the mattress is clean, place a $3.00 plastic cover over your existing mattress --permanent.
    Wash your linen in Hot water above 50deg C if possible.

Regularly get rid of your pillows.... Don't fall fowl to pillow sales gimmics...

Increase you mineral and iron intake in your diet. Iron an other essential minerals an electrolytes carry oxygen around the body. You will wake with more energy in the morning.

If your marriage is suffering, place a half/full length narrow width soft pillow between yourself and your partner during sleep.
    In the words of the author Robert Frost : "good fences make good neighbours". Keep the peace in all ways possible. Happy wife happy life.

The above can help alleviate the symptoms. There may be a valid underlaying cause like the onset of illness.

HTH
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Anyone APAP/CPAP?

CPAP and APAP are basically the same thing except that the CPAP only has one set of static settings, and the APAP can automatically adjust to high or low based on your needs.

My wife does this for a living, so she provided the explanation. These are the brands she deals with:

Phillips Respironics Dreamstation
    Resmed Airsense 10

... and she can beat your $2.5K USD every day, but you will need a valid prescription for any purchase.

I'm assuming that your power requirements are 220vac single phase. The machine itself runs off of 12vdc 6.67A, with an external power supply, so it should be a fairly simple conversion.
    =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 01-19-2019 at 03:03 AM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Anyone APAP/CPAP?

Phillips Respironics Dreamstation
    Resmed Airsense 10
    Cat, could you please ask Mrs. Cat if there are substantial differences between both of these and which one she would personally prefer?

Thanks

Hans