Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

Customers with infinite toner

How many of you have customers who continue to order toner and then find out, at the end of the contract, that they have a closet full of toners never used?

Thanks to the remote monitoring of the machines, this happens less and less but sometimes happens.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Customers with infinite toner

Quote Originally Posted by Bix View Post
    How many of you have customers who continue to order toner and then find out, at the end of the contract, that they have a closet full of toners never used?

Thanks to the remote monitoring of the machines, this happens less and less but sometimes happens.
    As you said it happens less with monitoring, but it still happens more than it should. The ones that really get me are customers with rental contracts that include the machine, service and supplies and when you go to pick up the unit and find extra toner cartridges, they want a credit for the toners that they did not pay for!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

We have a few lazy customers like this, machine shows toner low they email us asking for a set without checking they have some! When they come to upgrade we find dozens all around the office!
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

My company has an incentive to bring back any spare extra toners found and they will give a percentage of the cost in commission.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

If they ask for toner even when they do not need it, I think they have to pay.

There is always the risk that someone, in all inclusive contracts, orders more than necessary to resell and pay part of the monthly payment. So they have almost free rental.

We have just had this chat at work due to seeing some of our customers stockpiling toners.

We are making changes in what we do and how to monitor.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

We hand deliver all toner for customers on a service contract. That way we can catch toner hoarders pretty quickly.

The real fun ones I hated were the ding-a-lings that would put empty toner containers back in the box and then put the empty toner containers back on the supply shelf instead of throwing them away. Of course the customer then took the empty off the shelf and tried to make it our fault we couldn't get toner to them in ten minutes. Worst one was a customer, small party supply shop. that was open on weekends. They had a color printer they used to print party invitations. We even printed and wrapped the bottle of toner in the box with a piece of paper with the message, "Call for replacement when installed in printer" Of course they never did and always had to have it right away. And for some reason always put the empty bottle back in the box and put that back on the supply shelf. At least once a month they called to have toner delivered right away, and surprise surprise always after 4:30 and just could not understand why we didn't drop everything and rush their toner to them.

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

I think there are always abusers of supply contracts no matter what system is in place to monitor it. Some do just out of ignorance. There needs to be some kind of ground rules in the contracts regarding it. Which would result in charging full retail for each toner could be an answer. But it's ultimately up to the company on what it wants to do, not me I just work there.

Quote Originally Posted by CompyTech View Post
    I think there are always abusers of supply contracts no matter what system is in place to monitor it. Some do just out of ignorance. There needs to be some kind of ground rules in the contracts regarding it. Which would result in charging full retail for each toner could be an answer. But it's ultimately up to the company on what it wants to do, not me I just work there.
    We had non-contract charge customers that would always wait until they ran out to order new toner. One of them explained it was silly to have money sitting in a box on the shelf. She just did not grasp the concept that if they had to wait three hours to get a replacement toner then that was three hours on usable machine use wasted and everyone then had to rush to finish what they couldn't do because the printer, copier was out of toner. She did find an internet source with cheaper toners for her printers and then really hit the roof when we would not honor repeat service calls when the cheap garbage she bought worked as well as the price suggested they would.