Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Customer ignorance issue of today, place smart ass comments below

When to a local branch of national corporation. YGIC (young gal in charge) said copier quit sending scan to emails. After checking over, I told her that it looks like corporate IT is stopping copier from going out on internet. YGIC said she doesn't want the copier to get on the internet, she only wants it to send email. I told her the copier uses the internet to send her email. YGIC says it is on our network and my office is only 20 feet from it, the copier doesn't go out on the internet to send her email, it emails inside the building. I suggested we call her Corporate IT, they do some checking, they said they will be coming out in 5 days to fix "stuff". So as I am pulling the plug on this "adventure" the YGIC says I think you should make that scan to email until IT comes to fix "stuff" on our network.

Please enter smart ass comments below. I just wonder who slept with whom to get her in charge.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Customer ignorance issue of today, place smart ass comments below

go out EVERY DAY.. sit on your thumbs UNTIL corp IT shows up to show YOU that it is your unit @ fault... then... hand them and ITEMIZED invoice.. when you are right ...demand payment COD with the corp IT also signing it!

it has stopped a lot of silly shit in other places and mine where I have worked.

does their contract cover this? hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by tonerhead View Post
    When to a local branch of national corporation. YGIC (young gal in charge) said copier quit sending scan to emails. After checking over, I told her that it looks like corporate IT is stopping copier from going out on internet. YGIC said she doesn't want the copier to get on the internet, she only wants it to send email. I told her the copier uses the internet to send her email. YGIC says it is on our network and my office is only 20 feet from it, the copier doesn't go out on the internet to send her email, it emails inside the building. I suggested we call her Corporate IT, they do some checking, they said they will be coming out in 5 days to fix "stuff". So as I am pulling the plug on this "adventure" the YGIC says I think you should make that scan to email until IT comes to fix "stuff" on our network.

Please enter smart ass comments below. I just wonder who slept with whom to get her in charge.
    Just what part of the statement the corporate IT blocking the copier from the internet did the YGIC not understand? Seems to me that the corporate email server was not onsite and may have actually been somewhere else in the city or even in another city. And the email had to be sent via the internet to actually be stored on the corporate email servers.

Quote Originally Posted by gneebore View Post
    Just what part of the statement the corporate IT blocking the copier from the internet did the YGIC not understand? Seems to me that the corporate email server was not onsite and may have actually been somewhere else in the city or even in another city. And the email had to be sent via the internet to actually be stored on the corporate email servers.

I guess that was my point to her. The copier sends email through a server. She is thinking it works like blue tooth, just sends across the room. It just shows how ignorant people are of how things work.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

I guess that was my point to her. The copier sends email through a server. She is thinking it works like blue tooth, just sends across the room. It just shows how ignorant people are of how things work.
    Actually got to thinking about the situation when rereading your original post. One of the features of some Kyocera/mita copiers was/is the ability to scan-to-folder on a local network in addition to scanning to email. Not a very common use since email was available to users no matter where they were as long as they had the protocols set up to go to the email server and was preferred by the users. But in one office the users actually started referring to the scan-to-folder function as scanning to email. Because they shared the files via email after opening the file in the password protected folders on their work station pc so the files were now email to begin with to other people in the office. Their own IT service did not correct them and eventually disabled the ability to scan to folders as too much of a hassle. Because some users were actually scanning to a list of names on the control panel list and then telling everyone they sent the file and to to check their email. I didn't actually have to go out on a call because of the confusion over the different scan capabilities. Just showed the IT guy how to change the setting on the control panel so he reset the scanning functions to always be scan-to-email instead of the scan to folder when I delivered some toner.

certified scrub 500+ Posts

I thought hardware agreement doesnt cover server outtages? charge'em
    Idling colour developers are not healthy developers.

Quote Originally Posted by jmaister View Post
    I thought hardware agreement doesnt cover server outtages? charge'em
    Probably two or three times a month we got calls because IT couldn't get there fast enough and the customer wanted us to fix the networking problems because obviously if they could access the network with their computers it must be a problems with the copier or printer. And that was the reason why i carried a laptop, router and cables. I would unplug the copier from their network. Set the ip address on the laptop to match the copier and print/scan. If it worked I showed the office manager the printout and scanned document on my laptop and plugged everything else back in and had the office manager try to test print/scan from the closest work station. Plus I would also have the customer open the printer driver and check the settings to see if they matched what the settings printout from the copier said. And the most fun part was about half the time the IT people would set the drivers to share the copier/printer instead of actually installing the drivers on each pc. Yes you may have guessed it the pc with installed drivers would be shut off because the user was on vacation or called in sick. Then of course when I wrote a bill for the call the inevitable "We have a service contract so we are not paying this" Cancelled a few contracts and went per call on a few customers because of this.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

I got called back to a place where I had done some basic service to printers. Now nothing would print. I ask if a help desk rep was around. She points to a young girl as the IT rep. I ask "can you ping the printer?" She cocked her head to one side like a dog hearing a noise and replied "Ping???" I left.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

My personal favorite is, "Our scanning to email/desktop worked fine yesterday, but now we get an error!!"

I ask if anything has been changed on the network.... "Oh, no....everything is exactly the same!"

I show up...test the function and see it's an Authentication Error. I ask if any passwords have changed, and get "Oh...yeah. They made us change all our passwords yesterday. Do you think THAT might be the problem??"

...these are the ones I'm HAPPY to invoice for Networking Charges!

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    I got called back to a place where I had done some basic service to printers. Now nothing would print. I ask if a help desk rep was around. She points to a young girl as the IT rep. I ask "can you ping the printer?" She cocked her head to one side like a dog hearing a noise and replied "Ping???" I left.
    Often I've been told to get in touch with so and so's "IT" guy. Turns out often times they're not IT but just some one who knows enough to be dangerous in the company is "put in charge" of the technology.