Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re: Ever thought of ... different work?

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    Well over 30 years in this game and most of them with one company. I just dream of not working at all. I hit 65 this year so I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    Re Light in the tunnel....
    Clean those darn glasses, its a train coming.....
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    There's the rub: There never is glory. I didn't ever expect there to be ... but maybe recognition?
    Like any technology related field it's a moving target, and you're always two steps behind because you spend all your time on 5-10 year old equipment.

The manual is a good place to start, but in the end we must all find our own solutions to problems. The manual is no magic book of secrets. The tech still must craft a solution. That's what makes this forum great: We can all share our 10 seconds of genius, with others that can appreciate the process involved.
    =^..^=
    The starting out younger enthusiastic generation look for direction and purpose to their life.
    The older waning generation look for purpose to their pending direction.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

Same boat, 10 years in and same company to boot. Think about it a good bit, not sure what else I could do besides change companies or something else in IT because that's all I really know.

I learned to as well to not take things too personally anymore, it's just a machine and it's just a job. I just do whatever the company tells me to do and go where they tell me to go.

All in all we probably have one of the best kind of jobs out there, we get to drive around and see different things and are not confined to an office(most of the time), and occasionally make someones day run smoother.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Ever thought of ... different work?

Sept 2018 I had told the boss I was no longer willing to lie and cheat customers... I had walked out twice in the five years, due to him and his wife ( family owned biz ) lying to me-vendors-customers, and at the 2nd time after he agreed to stop those practices, I informed him "Daryll one more damn time I have to eat MY words due to your lying.. I am GONE.. no third chance..no pleas .. no tears from you ( yes he and his bitch tried that with me.. dad of 2 Gdad of 2.. tears didn't work for my wife either).

So with other things ie: demands of weekend work @ HIS HOME.... wash car on MY TIME.. I flipped him off.. gathered my shit and left.

He still was promoting me as working for him... had my Picture and several " How To " files n movies on his website and Fakebook page.. Several private letters and one from my lawyer to remove... He tried to get HIS lawyer to bust my balls... but I had already contacted NCAG and they got involved...

Sayless to need ... He got fined... my likeness got removed ( intellectual property ) and I got a small check in compensation ..... BUT did it end there? OHHELLFUCKINGNO! I found out he was bad mouthing me to his clients..... So now... I have a case of SLANDER against him and have 15 of his EX CUSTOMERS on my side in court... ( yes ex customers.. MOST of my clients LOVED me and they fired him as their supply/service provider.)
    He has been dropped By: Oki - Epson - Xerox - Murtec - KM..... the only one that stayed with him is Brother... but he doesn't have a certified tech so cannot do warranty work.. and only has a P/T tech ( couldn't figure how to use multi-meter ) working for him.... He is pushing Clover & LD supply and is losing what customers he had.

Me.. thank to him.. I have a bad taste in my mouth for tech work... thinking about going back to warehousing since all my bills are paid ( except monthly ) and @ 62 having worked since i was 14.... I feel i need to DO FOR ME .... my bank account can handle it...
    Having had soo many different jobs in my past.. I am not worried about income..

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    Sept 2018 I had told the boss I was no longer willing to lie and cheat customers... I had walked out twice in the five years, due to him and his wife ( family owned biz ) lying to me-vendors-customers, and at the 2nd time after he agreed to stop those practices, I informed him "Daryll one more damn time I have to eat MY words due to your lying.. I am GONE.. no third chance..no pleas .. no tears from you ( yes he and his bitch tried that with me.. dad of 2 Gdad of 2.. tears didn't work for my wife either).

So with other things ie: demands of weekend work @ HIS HOME.... wash car on MY TIME.. I flipped him off.. gathered my shit and left.

He still was promoting me as working for him... had my Picture and several " How To " files n movies on his website and Fakebook page.. Several private letters and one from my lawyer to remove... He tried to get HIS lawyer to bust my balls... but I had already contacted NCAG and they got involved...

Sayless to need ... He got fined... my likeness got removed ( intellectual property ) and I got a small check in compensation ..... BUT did it end there? OHHELLFUCKINGNO! I found out he was bad mouthing me to his clients..... So now... I have a case of SLANDER against him and have 15 of his EX CUSTOMERS on my side in court... ( yes ex customers.. MOST of my clients LOVED me and they fired him as their supply/service provider.)
    He has been dropped By: Oki - Epson - Xerox - Murtec - KM..... the only one that stayed with him is Brother... but he doesn't have a certified tech so cannot do warranty work.. and only has a P/T tech ( couldn't figure how to use multi-meter ) working for him.... He is pushing Clover & LD supply and is losing what customers he had.

Me.. thank to him.. I have a bad taste in my mouth for tech work... thinking about going back to warehousing since all my bills are paid ( except monthly ) and @ 62 having worked since i was 14.... I feel i need to DO FOR ME .... my bank account can handle it...
    Having had soo many different jobs in my past.. I am not worried about income..
    Phil B. angry! Yes get where you are coming from. Glad you can afford to make the move. Most of us are fearful of where the provision is going to come from.
    With a family and with other responsibilities I can imagine how many guys are just coping thru the injustice. Not that I know much about family and responsibilities.
    My last experience showed me how soul crushing it can be. Wish more people can be fearless and get where they need to be.
    Whatever

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

These are interesting perspectives.
    I'm a recent joiner to these boards and I have been considering a move from my current career as systems programmer in a software house to something a bit more practical which is why I'm here.
    To that end, I have got a couple of old copiers free from Craigslist sellers that I have been working on, upgrading, experimenting on (as some of you know) to see if it is something that I would be interested in for a change in direction. So far, I've found it fascinating and it satisfies my need for something practical whilst also exercising my problem solving skills.

My current position is with a good company with decent people, but I'm finding that the work is boring and tedious and sitting in front of a desk all day is not great for my long term health.
    I might also say that I'm 52 so probably a difficult time to make a move like this.

One of the questions I was going to ask is how to get into the trade so-to-speak.
    Any advice? Stay away? Do it part time? Don't touch the job with a barge pole?

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Phil B. angry! Yes get where you are coming from. Glad you can afford to make the move. Most of us are fearful of where the provision is going to come from.
    With a family and with other responsibilities I can imagine how many guys are just coping thru the injustice. Not that I know much about family and responsibilities.
    My last experience showed me how soul crushing it can be. Wish more people can be fearless and get where they need to be.
    Unfortunately earlier in 2017, My mother of 96 had passed, and due to my inheritance I am monetarily able to take a break from the grind. It has been refreshing to be able to basically do as I please, and has allowed me to concentrate on some of my other interests. For example, for years I have been into prepping and firearms training, well I have been invited multiple times to attend training on Clearing building of threats, Long Distance Rifle shooting ( got to send lead flying from a .50cal BMG HOLYSHIT BATMAN!) have aided local LEO/RESCUE on two "lost child" cases and one "SilversAlert" missing persons! **All found safe n sound but rattled** but I guess the most rewarding has been my resumed visits to Fayetteville NC to the VA hosp to sit and talk with our Great Men and Women of the US Armed Forces that gave more than MOST in our quest for freedom. I am sooo humbled being in the same room with them.... But the SMILES and 'Hello's' from everyone there make the 50mile trek WELL WORTH my time and Gas!

I guess what I am trying to say is.... even tho, we think we have a limited amount of skills, IF 'you' ** not U specifically ** try and think about it we can do just about anything.. because we have: Logic-Work Ethic and people skills to take us anywhere we want to go.... it's just learning the "ins-outs" of that new position... NEVER SELL YOURSELF SHORT!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

30 years now. I'm stuck for the long run now. Would have gotten out sooner but needed to feed my family when I started.

My only consolation is all copier repair men/women go to heaven, because we've already been through hell on earth.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Quote Originally Posted by tonerhead View Post
    30 years now. I'm stuck for the long run now. Would have gotten out sooner but needed to feed my family when I started.

My only consolation is all copier repair men/women go to heaven, because we've already been through hell on earth.
    I had +1 on ya b4 I jumped.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skelband View Post
    These are interesting perspectives.
    I'm a recent joiner to these boards and I have been considering a move from my current career as systems programmer in a software house to something a bit more practical which is why I'm here.
    To that end, I have got a couple of old copiers free from Craigslist sellers that I have been working on, upgrading, experimenting on (as some of you know) to see if it is something that I would be interested in for a change in direction. So far, I've found it fascinating and it satisfies my need for something practical whilst also exercising my problem solving skills.

My current position is with a good company with decent people, but I'm finding that the work is boring and tedious and sitting in front of a desk all day is not great for my long term health.
    I might also say that I'm 52 so probably a difficult time to make a move like this.

One of the questions I was going to ask is how to get into the trade so-to-speak.
    Any advice? Stay away? Do it part time? Don't touch the job with a barge pole?

You will never get rich from it. It used to be (when I started) they wanted electronic experience or degree. Now days they want a computer background or degree. I think most of our recent hires came from IT field. As far as your long term health, this is not a healthy field. Your knees, back, and lungs will suffer in the long run. Stress depends on the day. Sometimes you nearly stroke out from the pressure, others, you worry about being laid off for nothing to do. The plus sides are you are not bound to a daily grind, each day is different. You are not bound to an office. You work by yourself (positive and minus). Personally, it does provide opportunity for "side income" People know that I work on computers on the side. I don't push this too hard, just nice for some occasional beer money for me. I think a lot of companies are always looking for copier techs. A former service mgr once told me it takes about 2 years to groom a guy for the industry, I think that still stands. At first I started at barely above minimum wage. The first 2-3 years (at least for me) were years of rapid income acceleration. After 3 years though, you get towards the top of the salary bracket. Some companies run salaries by type of copiers you service. I have been a production copier tech for about 20 years now. Not just anyone gets sent to train and service these bad boys, so you do get paid a little more as the company want to retain you. At 52, you probably have quite an advantage over someone in 20's. Service mgr's are looking for maturity, after all you need to be dependable and detail oriented, something that many younger techs fail to develop before they leave. I would say go for it if it interests you. Just be prepared to start at the bottom. I can honestly say for my 30 years, I have never been bored, other than factory training. You are always learning. It used to be actually fun, I looked forward to work everyday. It seems lately though, customers are getting impossible to deal with, they do not want to learn or figure out anything themselves. Mgmt is no longer a former tech. Our current Supreme Leader came from retail to manage the techs. He has never turned a screw in his life. Then there is sales, revolving door here. Sales typically make service techs life miserable. I guess the last positive is it is a very stable occupation, I have never worried about being laid off. It is too hard to train and retain a decent tech, just wish the pay reflected this. Good luck whatever you decide.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex