Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re: Internet Speed Liars!

Multiplexing (MUX multiple line conversations) over a single fibre strand has been done since the very first fibre optic cable was ever laid.
    I have only just learnt myself that there are different simultaneous light frequencies(Laser diodes) that can do bidirectional light wave transmissions over a single fibre.

I wonder how this effects the fibre optic relay nodes and light wave decay wave reshaping? Does it introduce harmonics into the light wave field down the fibre itself. Is there a greater error correction in the actual wave shaping after amplifier node re-transmission?

Interesting....

---------8<--------------- insert---------------------

The communication over a single strand of fiber is achieved by separating the transmission wavelength of the two devices as depicted in Figure 2: 1000BASE-BX10-D transmits a 1490-nm channel and receives a 1310-nm signal, whereas 1000BASE-BX10-U transmits at a 1310-nm wavelength and receives a 1490-nm signal. As shown, the presence of a wavelength-division multiplexing (WDM) splitter integrated into the SFP to split the 1310-nm and 1490-nm light paths.
    Figure 4. Bidirectional Transmission of a Single Strand of SMF
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Multiplexing (MUX multiple line conversations) over a single fibre strand has been done since the very first fibre optic cable was ever laid.
    I have only just learnt myself that there are different simultaneous light frequencies(Laser diodes) that can do bidirectional light wave transmissions over a single fibre.

I wonder how this effects the fibre optic relay nodes and light wave decay wave reshaping? Does it introduce harmonics into the light wave field down the fibre itself. Is there a greater error correction in the actual wave shaping after amplifier node re-transmission?

Interesting....

---------8<--------------- insert---------------------

The communication over a single strand of fiber is achieved by separating the transmission wavelength of the two devices as depicted in Figure 2: 1000BASE-BX10-D transmits a 1490-nm channel and receives a 1310-nm signal, whereas 1000BASE-BX10-U transmits at a 1310-nm wavelength and receives a 1490-nm signal. As shown, the presence of a wavelength-division multiplexing (WDM) splitter integrated into the SFP to split the 1310-nm and 1490-nm light paths.
    Figure 4. Bidirectional Transmission of a Single Strand of SMF
    Just like how you have multi coated optics on things such as a gun scope with ruby coating ...it passes certain wavelengths whilst blocking /reflecting others!!!Internet Speed Liars!Internet Speed Liars!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rbazan View Post
    Verizon is lying to me. They promised me a download speed of 50 Mbits per sec but
    I'm only getting 8 Mbits per sec. Yes they said it's not them it's me
    and using thier 'speed test' it's 30 Mbits-- my download manager shows it is less.

THESE INTERNET SPEED TEST ARE RIGGED.

After a bit of checking I found that NETFLIX has a speed test-- FAST.COM and
    that show's the TRUE internet speed. Alas arguing with Verizon is futile-they own Net Nuetrality and we're F.ed.

By the way most people don't know this:1 MB is one Mega Byte and 1 Mb is one Mega bit. 8 Mb = 1 MB.

Hey now I feel better!

They only promise UPTO 50Mb. But if you hit within 85 to 90 percent of that, good. If not, I'd say there is a problem somewhere.

BTW Almost never use the ISPs speed test. I use good ol speedtest.net and broadband reports has a good one. Also Google has a simple speed test built into their search.

Broadband internet is a sad state of affairs in this country. I pay about 60 a month for 100 down and(wait for it) 5 up. WOW! My upload speed is what my download was 10 years ago. Couple years ago it was about 3. Don't forget the data caps either, mine sits about 300GB.

Quote Originally Posted by CompyTech View Post
    They only promise UPTO 50Mb. But if you hit within 85 to 90 percent of that, good. If not, I'd say there is a problem somewhere.

BTW Almost never use the ISPs speed test. I use good ol speedtest.net and broadband reports has a good one. Also Google has a simple speed test built into their search.

Broadband internet is a sad state of affairs in this country. I pay about 60 a month for 100 down and(wait for it) 5 up. WOW! My upload speed is what my download was 10 years ago. Couple years ago it was about 3. Don't forget the data caps either, mine sits about 300GB.
    ISP's are Milking the $HIT out of us!!!Internet Speed Liars!

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    ISP's are Milking the $HIT out of us!!!Internet Speed Liars!

One of my pet peeves is having to pay down load per Megabyte for advertisement.
    My cellphone megabyte quota includes pixel data from image advertisements.
    Those image advertisements that I never asked for, nor ever need an yet I have pay from them
    in my data download quota.

I do have advert blocker software installed on my mobile phone, but I still get some advert images.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Internet Speed Liars!

I notice my speed dropping off when my neighbors get home from work and get online. Oh, and as far as the speed an ISP advertises, I believe they ALL have fine print that reads "advertised speeds are not guaranteed".
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Internet Speed Liars!

Have just been experiencing connectivity drops with Comcast/Xfinity. I JUST TODAY replaced my 4-port balanced splitter with a 3-port (only need three ports) UNBALANCED splitter (2 ports at 7dB loss, one port at 3.5 dB loss). I of course plugged the modem into the 3.5 dB port. IMMEDIATELY noticed a difference with the upstream connections (which was my problem - the upstream power signal was too high.....55dBmV which is right on the fence). After replacing the splitter and using the 3.5 dB port, all signal levels/power levels are within spec.

My speed now:
    20190529_150437.jpg

My advise. Look at your internal wiring before accusing an ISP.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by rbazan View Post
    Verizon is lying to me. They promised me a download speed of 50 Mbits per sec but
    I'm only getting 8 Mbits per sec. Yes they said it's not them it's me
    and using thier 'speed test' it's 30 Mbits-- my download manager shows it is less.

THESE INTERNET SPEED TEST ARE RIGGED.

After a bit of checking I found that NETFLIX has a speed test-- FAST.COM and
    that show's the TRUE internet speed Eolo è un fornitore italiano di servizi Internet che include anche la telefonia fissa tramite connessione Internet andare qui. Alas arguing with Verizon is futile-they own Net Nuetrality and we're F.ed.

By the way most people don't know this:1 MB is one Mega Byte and 1 Mb is one Mega bit. 8 Mb = 1 MB.

Hey now I feel better!
    I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations with Verizon and the difference in the promised and actual download speeds. It can be frustrating when the actual speeds do not match the expected speeds. While there can be various factors that may affect the speed, such as network congestion or technical issues, it's important to communicate your concerns to Verizon's customer support for further assistance. It's worth noting that different speed test tools may yield slightly different results due to various factors, including the server location and capacity. While Fast.com, powered by Netflix, can provide an alternative speed test, it's advisable to consider multiple tests and compare the results to have a better understanding of your internet speed. Understanding the difference between megabits (Mb) and megabytes (MB) is helpful, as it relates to the unit of measurement for data transfer. It's true that 8 megabits (Mb) are equivalent to 1 megabyte (MB). If you're still experiencing issues or concerns, it's recommended to reach out to Verizon's customer support team to address the situation and explore potential solutions.