Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Have some fun...Been in this biz so long....

Re: Have some fun...Been in this biz so long....

Clearing squeegee roller jams on an Apeco Super Stat II

Senior Tech 100+ Posts BaconSteve's Avatar

Sharp had a model 726 a LONG time ago that used ‘masters’ instead of a drum. The 740 also used masters and neither had fuser rollers. Just a series of lamps that the chain driven paper transport would pull the paper through. We used to call the fuser the ‘easy bake oven’.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

CHAIN DRIVEN main components on copiers

Mimeograph hand driven printers that used the ink that SMELLED sooo good to the students..

B&W only printers

before them... IMPACT Printer

EDLIN

yeah I rode a stone-wheel cart to go to school... but ONLY when the snow was less that 8" deep

and all of the other comments made!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

mailing systems that could only perform 1 function at a time.. weigh - stamp - seal.... taking 3 runs of the envelopes

never mind mail-merge with a six tray insert/fold/weigh/stamp/seal in one contiguous process

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zeldaman's Avatar

Hi there!
    Adjusting the scannerlamp on the Minolta CF-70 (special screwdriver, special glassplaten). Soldering brandnew PSU´s (Minolta, what else..)
    Greetings...

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BaconSteve View Post
    Sharp had a model 726 a LONG time ago that used ‘masters’ instead of a drum. The 740 also used masters and neither had fuser rollers. Just a
    series of lamps that the chain driven paper transport would pull the paper through. We used to call the fuser the ‘easy bake oven’.
    I remember the sharp masters, approx every 7-8k they'd be replaced, also the DV cup & the magnet to remove dev if you put too much in....
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

I originally started on mechanical cash tills and adding machines, NCR, Gold, Olympia and Olivetti, also typewriters, had special tools to bend bars, and a mechanical turntable on my bench to turn the tills round as they were too heavy to move. The amount of "technical adjustments" we made on metal parts.

We used to have a tank with a foot pump, it had a mixture of various flammable liquids, where we'd strip the machine down to just the metal parts, and then pump, it over it to clean and lubricate it, every 6 months it would get emptied down the toilet, and a big no smoking sign on the door for the next 2 weeks.

2 of us used to spend a day at the local university, servicing the typewriters they used to teach typing, it was done twice a year.

Those were the days customers used to look after you, whenever I went to a butchers to fix a till, I came out with "something for my tea" usually steak, when I went to a perfume shop, I'd come out with a full size tester, I didn't have to buy my then wife any perfume for ages. Just about every shop I went in, I got a discount, as I looked after their tills.

I remember fixing pocket calculators, as they cost a weeks wages, so weren't thrown away.

Customers used to bring in their manual typewriter, so we could change the ribbon, we'd charge £1.50.

I remember repairing circuit boards, and actually stripping down units and replacing parts.

I could go on, but the more I go on....the older I feel.....
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20 year tech's Avatar

Adjusting the mag brush height on a Mita 2055, restringing scanner drive wires.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Replacing moving top cables. ie Royal 115/122.
    Adjusting main charge wire height to even out current on Royal 115/122/130.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Etech50 View Post
    As far as software goes, I recall changing EEPROM's on NP6551's, taking 30 minutes to flash an IR600 via parallel if you were lucky to remember the DOS commands. Now, plug in your USB key or download direct via the web.
    How about flashing GP200 Image Processor EEPROMs with a null modem serial cable? Sometimes 2 hours on a bad day.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins