Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Geo's Avatar

Re: Have some fun...Been in this biz so long....

I remember working on Gestetner 2130, don't remember the Mita number....Anyway, unplugging and plugging the unit, you had a 50/50 chance of blowing the Power Supply. Sadly, took a little while to this figure this out. P.S became standard car stock.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Have some fun...Been in this biz so long....

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Re selenium v's cancer.
    For what its worth, there is more selenium in eating Brazilian nuts than what you would have absorbed through your skin polishing selenium drums.
    In moderation oral selenium is good for some types of inflammation....

------- update extra------------
    htttps://draxe.com/brazil-nuts/
    Brazil Nuts: The Top Selenium Food that Fights Inflammation - Dr. Axe
    From what I remember there was a greater threat from the polishing compound than there was from the selenium.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    From what I remember there was a greater threat from the polishing compound than there was from the selenium.
    I think the Cadmium Sulfide drums were more dangerous than selenium. Plus slim is right, there was this polish for the CDS drums called Pikel from Sharp. Stuff was deadly.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    I remember working on Gestetner 2130, don't remember the Mita number....Anyway, unplugging and plugging the unit, you had a 50/50 chance of blowing the Power Supply. Sadly, took a little while to this figure this out. P.S became standard car stock.
    Are you talking about the Mita that the pwr supply was on top under moving table exp glass. It would get so hot that the cover would turn brown from heat. Was it the Mita 152z ? That was a decent machine for back then. Put in same category as the Toshiba 3301, a good small box.

former propeller tester 250+ Posts

finishers with 20 or more trays moving up and down, or worse still the dreaded Tandem finisher with 40 or 50 trays

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Here's another one I thought of, I remember changing the "light bulb" (yes a regular household style bulb) is a 3M secretary "dual spectrum process", it took about 5 mins for 1 copy! I believe this was the process, you would take a special coated pink sheet and with the original place on glass, turn timer for exposure, then take the pink sheet and place on top a blank special coated sheet, then feed both of them into machine for heat transfer.

I also remember most of what has been posted. I remember the "SharpFax" (they used fax in their model #'s "SFxxx" name for many years) 726 with the bunny brush, and pack of 10 masters, changed every 600 copies, maint kit was btl of dev, toner, and pack of 10 masters = 6,000 pages. Same principle with the SF-741, 10 masters, etc but was a disaster with master clamp jams! maximum copies at one time was 20, knob would ratchet down mechanically as "moving" exp glass touched it each time it scanned, and yes it scanned every time, don't forget this was before digital so no way to retain the scanned image.

Can't say I missed those days. And to think I was worried when they made the transition from analog to digital.

ha-ha keep adding to this post. Another thing came to mind, anyone remember the Sharp that talked? Had like 10 voice commands in a weird robotic voice. Every customer turned it off. Scared the hell out of a lot of secretaries in offices by themselves!
    People never believe me when I tell them about 3m box, think there was an orange one, and possibly a blue one, people were always putting the pink sheet the wrong way round, if I remember the talking sharp could've been the 781, remember the sharps had a separation tape under the drum, which were always splitting, think they came with a new master,

some of the sharp faxes were a nightmare, when they misfed, you had to remove the roll of paper, then switch it on with the roll removed, otherwise it didn't clear the misfeed, had a colleague who kept diagnosing a board fault, as the misfeed wouldn't clear, he just couldn't get it....
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BLADE View Post
    finishers with 20 or more trays moving up and down, or worse still the dreaded Tandem finisher with 40 or 50 trays
    Clients would put the trash can under them and the finishers would start snapping the exit tray guides off then finally error out. Back then they were called "sorters".

worker drone 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Selenium, Telurium, and Arsenic. Said the Arsenic was an accumulative poison that built up in your body until one day you lost weight and the concentration level was too high in proportion to your body weight. ...still, gloves were for wussies.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Coptech View Post
    Selenium, Telurium, and Arsenic. Said the Arsenic was an accumulative poison that built up in your body until one day you lost weight and the concentration level was too high in proportion to your body weight. ...still, gloves were for wussies.
    I remember when I started in the biz and one of the senior techs told me not to breath in this powder because it contained arsenic, I thought he was kidding at first.

worker drone 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    I remember when I started in the biz and one of the senior techs told me not to breath in this powder because it contained arsenic, I thought he was kidding at first.

Seems like as good a reason as any to stay fat.