Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: DIRTY POWER?

DIRTY POWER?

Do power filters cut down on service calls as they claim, do you really need them. What filter do you use. Post your opinion!!!!!

I believe the cost of filters out ways the benefit. We used to send all devices with surge suppressors. but haven't noted a lot of issues without.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    DIRTY POWER?

DIRTY POWER?

I always believed in them, until we had power problems with the HP 9000's. We nailed the problem to the surge protector not providing sufficient voltage. We switched to heavy duty types that have a high joule output and made sure that they are on a dedicated outlet. No problems so far (over a year now). Other techs swear against them though. Probably because most offices are wired by lowest bidder and dont supply sufficient voltage to begin with.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    You of course definitely have to have a clean ground, so they will help out with that. I have seen as I am sure others have the things a bad ground will do. We have started selling the ESP ones Toshiba is pushing. They are heavy duty, too early to tell as we do not require it if it actually will help that much. I have my doubts... I am more in favor of a large battery backup, not for the backup power, but one that will supply 120VAC even during a sag in voltage. Usually a good backup will also eliminate ground noise and act as a surge protector. This is an expensive setup, so noone is really going to go to it unless there is defintely a problem, or they have a lot of power problems. We have one or two machines that have a backup on it. Those machines had problems with voltage sags always in the AM, this pretty much eliminated those problems.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    DIRTY POWER?

I believe in the ESP surge suppressors. We haven't any trouble with boards, with the exception of 1 or 2 that came in new with problems.

Like oronocova says, a surge suppressor does nothing for voltage sags.
    They do make voltage conditioners that can support sags, but the cost can run $1K and up, so be absolutely sure you need it before making that recommendation.

I have also become an advocate of power quality analyzers. I know of no other way to record power events, and be able to prove it to the customer. Then you can cover your ass. Fix the power or no service agreement offered. It's that simple. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    DIRTY POWER?

BlackCat is right on, I could not have said it better.
    If you have ever seen the full demonstration by the ESP people, they generate surges to little resistors and you are welcome to put any of the products you currently use in the circuit, every major power filter blows the resistors except ESP also known as QC. I'm a firm believer.
    Online Store is closed. Chip resetting is a thing of the past! Thank you to all my past customers.
    Now into Ip TV KODI Boxes

Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post

I have also become an advocate of power quality analyzers. I know of no other way to record power events, and be able to prove it to the customer. Then you can cover your ass. Fix the power or no service agreement offered. It's that simple. =^..^=
    WOW!! When I worked at Xerox, our regional tech rep had access to one of these and would only bring it onsite if you threatened a blood sacrifice to fix a machine. It saved me (and a goat or two) a few times.

I would love to have one and since you brought it up, I thought I would take a look see... well what I found was surprising!!

Single Phase Power Quality Analyzers : Portable Single Phase Analyzers - PQMeterStore.com

Single Phase Power Quality Analyzers : Plug-In Power Quality Analyzers - PQMeterStore.com

Holy crap! Does anyone know where I can get a goat maybe?

The first law states that energy is conserved: The change in the internal energy is equal to the amount added by heating minus the amount lost by doing work on the environment.

Copier Technician 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Ditto. I just installed one today at an account. I generally record for 24 hours. I don't use it often (we all share the same one) but it has always help to either identify or eliminate power as an issue.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    DIRTY POWER?

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodcopy View Post
    Do power filters cut down on service calls as they claim, do you really need them. What filter do you use. Post your opinion!!!!!
    They are worth the investment. If it saves one service call over the life of the machine then it pays for itself. I prefer the ESP products but that is only because I have had such a long relationship with them. We bundle the filter in with the cost of the machine which makes it a little easier for sales to tolerate it.