Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Copier Technician 250+ Posts

To ham, or not to ham ..

Well, Thanksgiving is just around the corner and as every year since my parents died I will be hosting the family get together including the big spread. I really don't know how the wife and I get stuck with hosting Thanksgiving every year, but I would sure like to be 'invited' to someone else's house one of these days!!

Anyway, I am trying to decide whether to include a ham on the menu or not. I wonder if anyone would even care? How does everyone else do Thanksgiving? Is it an extended family get together like we have, or just the immediate family. I'd really like to know.

Anyway, even though it is still a few days away, I hope everyone here who celebrates Thanksgiving has a very restful and pleasant holiday.

Thanks and cheers to you!!!!

If its a large crowd than yes! include the ham.

We do Thanksgiving large, I mean you cant see any table cloth, thats how much food is out on the table.

Its a feast and its a great time to put bad blood and indifferences behind us.

We do Turkey,Ham, Home made Pasta,Mushrooms stuffed,three different types of potatoes, stuffing, beets, yams,corn,stuffed artichokes followed by fruit and than the dessert.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    To ham, or not to ham ..

Quote Originally Posted by Baphomet View Post
    I really don't know how the wife and I get stuck with hosting Thanksgiving every year, but I would sure like to be 'invited' to someone else's house one of these days!!
    We we will be hosting this year, just as we do on every big day because my family is on the other side of the country and nobody in my wife's family has a place big enough to have more then about 4 people over.

Just say no to Ham, it's OK but not necessary if you make a turkey with all the accessories. We make an extra huge turkey so we have a ton of left overs.

Have a good weekend everyone, enjoy!

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    The ham is a must for a large gathering, unless you have taken a poll and found that everyone loves turkey, a popular misconception.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    To ham, or not to ham ..

The family is 300 miles away, so my wife & I are rarely attend the big family get together. It's usually at Mom's house, and she cooks the turkey, stuffing & mashed potatoes. The rest is delegated out to the attending families. Swap a dish, that sort of thing. It works out wonderfully.

When I'm present, I am the chief dishwasher. With the other men's assistance we plough through the dishes in just 1/2 hour.

It's a well orchestrated affair in which everyone knows their part, and noone does all the work. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    To ham, or not to ham ..

Smile

Neither my wife or myself have any family in NY, so we're going to Atlantic City for Thursday and Friday and then we have an engagement party in Philly on Saturday. We'll prolly have sushi on T-day

Paul

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar
    Turkey, Mashed potatoes(real not instant), yams. corn, green beans, apple pie, maybe pumpkin, salad, and steamed crabs (got to have the crabs).
    Usually 10-12 people but should only be 4-6 this year. More crabs for me!!!!
    I am also the head cook.
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    To ham, or not to ham ..

Quote Originally Posted by manuals4you View Post
    Neither my wife or myself have any family in NY, so we're going to Atlantic City for Thursday and Friday and then we have an engagement party in Philly on Saturday. We'll prolly have sushi on T-day

Paul
    Sushi Rocks

PS. You can head to Canada, it's a pretty easy run from Strong Island on a long weekend and it's not a holiday up there so everything is open and if you hit Niagara Falls the crowds are light since most of us Americans are getting Fat below the 49th Parallel. The exchange rate is better now so the prices are OK, not great, but OK.

Don't forget to save your big receipts (hotel) for you GST refund at the Duty Free store on your way home.

PS, Some spicy tuna rolls pretty good right about now.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    To ham, or not to ham ..

That would be an option but we have an engagement party in Philly on the Saturday after T-day. So it's AC this trip. And my buddy who is having the party for his daughter also has a house in Ventnor (the next town S of AC) so we're gonna stay there for free, then drive to Philly Saturday morning, do the party, then back to NY. Gonna stop at Katz's deli in NYC on the way home. I wanna get a couple of $15.00 pastrami sandwichs. Yummy!

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    I will drive 6 hours the day before to get my youngest son, my oldest will spend time with his new girlfriend. We will do the holiday with my wife's family, her mother lives 6 houses down the road. I will go to see my parents on Friday and do any chores that I can for my father who is in poor health. Sunday I will make the 6 hour trip to take my son back, but it will have been time well spent.

This reminded me of a holiday tale from a few years back. At my wife's mothers house with lots of her family gathered for the holiday feast, we are all waiting, with strong appetites to be called to the table to eat. I inquire as to what the hold up is and I am told that aunt Terry is waiting on a phone call. Soon the phone rings and Terry answers it. The room is then told to hush so the blessing can be said. Aunt Terry puts the phone on speaker and holds it up pointing it toward the room, and then I hear the voice of her son Joesph, calling from the county jail, starting the blessing. Joesph is a punk who has spent most of his days behind bars, his goal in life is to front a thrash metal band, and he would be voted most likely to set a church on fire, not to say a prayer, so I found the irony incredible. His mom had brought his new baby to the event and as he started to speak the baby began to cry. "What is wrong with the baby" was ask, to which I quickly replied " I guess he knows that is his father on the phone". I had moved myself to the far side of the room and was facing the wall so no one besides my wife and cousin could see me biting my lip to keep from laughing out loud. True story. I can not wait to meet Jeff Foxworthy and tell him " you might be a redneck if you have ever had a holiday blessing phoned in from the county jail"