Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar

Toner Particle Spitting Printers

I know this has been covered, but it's a new article that actually did test that go far beyond any other articles I have read before.

Particulate Emissions From Laser Printers

The first law states that energy is conserved: The change in the internal energy is equal to the amount added by heating minus the amount lost by doing work on the environment.

Copier Technician 250+ Posts
    I have always thought that the most harmful emission from a laser printer or copier was ozone. Hence the ozone filter. I have known techs who would simply vacuum the filters without replacing them not realizing that the paper used in the filter looses its properties over time and can no longer neutralize ozone.

The idea of toner particles escaping from a copier in volumes that would make a difference seems silly to me considering that just by walking outside you are breathing in more harmful particles than what you would find in any office environment. People are just too paranoid in my estimation.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

How interesting! I guess we always knew there was fuser oil vapor. But we didn't know about the "ultra-fine toner particles". =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Passing Duplication Xpert 1,000+ Posts cobiray's Avatar
    OH NO, WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!! (just kidding, but not really)

Adeptus Mechanicus Magos 500+ Posts

I've got a fax machine in for repair that some health and safety nut has put a sign on saying 'all users changing the toner cartridge (this is a sealed unit as we all know) wear gloves as there may be a risk to either broken or unbroken skin'

I am certain that this planet is being ruined by the small minority of parinoid health and safety people who are convinced that they 'just have to save us' from ourselves

Well there's my rant...breath and count to ten...
    The impossible is easy - miracles take a little longer
    So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    I worked in a steel forging plant for 13 years, breathing in graphite dust [ think powered pencil led ]. My lungs probably look like a coal miners. If a laser printer can take me down, we are all doomed.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Thers a lot more things that are hazardous then printers/copiers. Why would manufacturers make printers? To kill people? I don't think so.
    I think that one cigare is more dangerous for me then to sniff a 15 grams of toner.....that would be many grams of toner in my lungs since i fries 2 boxes per day. I would rather think that manufacturers are trying to make something that will expand our life so we can spend more on toners and new devices No people-no mony and period

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I think its worse for those who regularly are exposed to machines all day. Those of us who work in rooms where there are test printers running hundreds of copies all day long (we regularly run around 5-10 machines at the same time, and have over 50 machines in the same room) or customers where many printers are run in a small room are most likely to be running a more serious health risk. Also the problem with printers may be greater than copiers. Copiers have ozone filters, but most printers don't.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Can't wait for my first customer to read this article. Probably will be accompanied with a "see I told you it was getting really hot." Now to our arsenal including "yes, all copiers get hot" we must add "yes it does emit volatile organic compounds into the air, they all do, it's perfectly normal."

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Which is more dangerous........??

I had a user once that read an article that photocopiers emit ozone, and that it was causing arthritis, digestive problems, dermatitis, and I don't know what all else. She wanted hazard pay for having a Canon NP-6221 in her office, and paid time off to "recover". This machine ironically was in a maximum security prison.

I was called it to check out the machine and "monitor the emissions". To provide better airflow to diminish the effect of the ozone her desk was to be moved to a larger general population area with better air circulation.

After some thought this employee decided that she would rather take her chances with ozone than murderers. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=