Page 10 of 84 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts GhostInTheMachine's Avatar
    "You mean I'm not SUPPOSED to put liquid toner in the hopper?" (Dry toner copier)

An oldy but goody. This was 20 years ago.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    [QUOTE=GhostInTheMachine;129746]"You mean I'm not SUPPOSED to put liquid toner in the hopper?" (Dry toner copier)

An oldy but goody. This was 20 years ago.[/QUOTE

Lucky You, I still fight this today. One customer had a jug of clear liquid with a Savin label on it sitting next to the supply cabinet. For 6 months I begged them to throw it out before some dumb ass puts it in the machine. They insisted nobody there was that stupid. I proved em wrong. Billed $750 for parts on a Di 350.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
    Xerox docucolor 4lp actually had a message that stated "machine at end of life" when the counter hit 250k you could reset it once so at 500k it was useless unless you replaced the main pwb.......
    That's awesome I wish a freaking 4511 had one of those at the exact same intervals.

That's ok, I'll just use this one.

When I was working on their copier, a customer put his originals in the feeder of a high tech shredder and pressed the green "go" button.

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    I had a client complain that although the machine made absolutely perfect copies it continually 'ate' the originals. When I asked her to demonstrate the issue, she put the originals into the bypass and pressed start. I almost fell over when she commented how the machine could even turn the paper yellow, just like the original! I don't remember the model, it was early Ricoh digital, so purely B&W. Likely one of the dumbest operator errors I've seen.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    I show up at a major defense industry contractor for "vertical lines" on the paper on a color copier. I get there and the lines are diagonal void lines, clear as day. The guy shows me a sample. "there's those lines, don't know if you'd call them vertical or what." If he'd told me they were diagonal lines, I woulda stopped at the office to get me a developer clutch and saved everybody some time.
    This is nothing compared to some of the gems I've read here, tho!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    What is the dumbist customer comment/question you've heard?

Probably 13 or so yrs ago we had, I believe a canon 6050 out at a school on demo and after a couple of days I get a call stating that the Rdf was jamming. So I head out their and run the hell out of it and never misses a beat, so I have the secretary call the person down that was having the issue, and when she proceeded to show me that the machine won't make a book copy I just about fell on the floor laughing my ass off!!! She was putting a hard cover book in the Rdf and she honestly thought it was suppose to feed it in and make a book copy. I couldn't help myself, I busted out laughing and couldn't stop, she finally just walked away. The worst part is these are the people teaching the kids, scary.

Technician

Many years ago I had a Toshiba BD 4121 call that said Customer can't put back together. I walk in to see all of the electronics on one bench, Covers and frame pieces on another, and Shafts, tires, springs, clips, bushings and screws on a third bench. The owner approaches me and says "I'm getting a discount for this, right?" I ask why would I offer a discount? He says we already did half of the work, you don't have to take it apart. I replied that I would only charge for the time it takes me. I was shocked and amazed that no pieces were missing. After 3 hours the machine was back together and I didn't have to even adjust the registration.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Don't laugh at stupid people!
    I have seen a lot of customers that don't know how to operate the machine because they weren't properly trained on the machines. And some of them are smart people.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Black Cloud View Post
    Many years ago I had a Toshiba BD 4121 call that said Customer can't put back together. I walk in to see all of the electronics on one bench, Covers and frame pieces on another, and Shafts, tires, springs, clips, bushings and screws on a third bench. The owner approaches me and says "I'm getting a discount for this, right?" I ask why would I offer a discount? He says we already did half of the work, you don't have to take it apart. I replied that I would only charge for the time it takes me. I was shocked and amazed that no pieces were missing. After 3 hours the machine was back together and I didn't have to even adjust the registration.
    Why did he dismantle it in the first place? Probably some simple problem that would only take 10 minutes to figure out?
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!