Page 65 of 84 FirstFirst ... 15555657585960616263646566676869707172737475 ... LastLast

Re: What is the dumbist customer comment/question you've heard?

A school headmaster once called me in to a jam in his fuser, the daft sod had used the copier as a laminator, what a mess, over £1000 worth of damage.
    Woko

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

[QUOTE=Phil B.;583243]dontcha just love when a customer drops of a printer for eval/service.... you go to test it ( It's not printing is the issue ) you fire the puppy up and first thing is says " out of black ink ... please replace black ink " you call the customer and they say " oh yeah we knew that! " damn how are you supposed to service it if you have no ink for it.
    Told the customer ok we will buy some for me to test it... " Are we going to have to PAY for that ink!?"

I'm thinking " NO TWIT.. we love buying ink for you dumb asses!"[/QUOTE
    Whenever I get faced with this situation I ask the customer how they would expect their car to be fixed if it had no gas. Usually shuts them up.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

Once had a group of engineers decide to make a 11x17 transparency from unknown material. Took out a fuser at their cost.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    What is the dumbist customer comment/question you've heard?

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    When I was doing Samsung warranty we discovered that Samsung buyers were notoriously cheap, and untruthful. Often the printer came in without any toner cartridge or paper tray or cord. I then created a checklist that required the customers signoff. Included toner?, Paper Tray?, Cord?, CD's?. A few customers had claimed that we'd stolen their paper tray or toner cartridge ... until they found it when they got home. Then we had to add a place for the Samsung Hotline ticket number. If the customer didn't make the call to confirm warranty, then I'd have to spend the 45minutes confirming warranty coverage. Then we had to throw on a $50 deposit to cover diagnosis for those customers who lied about calling, or lied about coverage, or lied about printing gloss inkjet paper even when it was still jammed in the machine.

In the end it just wasn't worth the hassle. =^..^=
    We also used to be a Samsung dealer until they sent us several warranty claims and then refused to pay. The worst was probably the printer we had repaired and because of the poor design the part failed again [paper exit sensor right above the fuser] after providing on-site service at their request and resolving the issue they informed us they would not pay the warranty claim because we had replaced the same part within the last six months and that it should have been a shop repair and not an on site repair! The worst company we have ever dealt with! No wonder they had to sell the printer business!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Santander View Post
    We also used to be a Samsung dealer until they sent us several warranty claims and then refused to pay. The worst was probably the printer we had repaired and because of the poor design the part failed again [paper exit sensor right above the fuser] after providing on-site service at their request and resolving the issue they informed us they would not pay the warranty claim because we had replaced the same part within the last six months and that it should have been a shop repair and not an on site repair! The worst company we have ever dealt with! No wonder they had to sell the printer business!
    and the Samsuck website was a PIA.... 6 different screens before you could even start placing a claim.. and yes we had repairs refused also

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    and the Samsuck website was a PIA.... 6 different screens before you could even start placing a claim.. and yes we had repairs refused also
    And it hasn't got any better now that HP are running their copier division. The shittiest website I've ever had to deal with, no service manuals, parts manuals only show a 3rd of the parts and torturous path to try to order any. Which they don't have in stock anyway.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I think that my co-worker won't mind my sharing this story:

He was out on a bizhub 754e/FS-534 that has a long history of J72-17 and J72-19 jams, but they were never reproducible. I had been there on a few occasions, but this was his turn.

As luck would have it the enduser with the problem showed up at his elbow asking about that terrible jamming problem (that noone else has ever experienced). She explained that she gets this cardstock (the famous "cardstock"). By appearances it's about 300gsm. It might surprise you that the enduser is a teacher. The conversation goes something like this:

Enduser: "So I take this cardstock. It comes as 9" x 24", so I cut it exactly in half to get two pieces 8 1/2" x 11" letter.
    Tech: "You do?"
    Enduser: "Yes."
    Tech: "See my ruler here ... this paper is 9" x 12".
    Enduser: (confused) That can't be. I cut it in half."
    Tech: "Yes, half of 24" is 12". And you don't cut the other dimension, so that's 9" x 12".
    Enduser: (still confused)
    Tech: So when you program the tray as 8 1/2" x 11" these little guides here in the finisher automatically adjust to 8 1/2" wide, 1/2" narrower than your 9" paper. So you can do one of two things: 1) you can cut the paper smaller to 8 1/2" x 11", or 2) you can program the tray to a custom paper size 9" x 12". Either one will work.

I hope she wasn't a math teacher. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Customer puts a black and white photo on the glass of a color copier and asks why the resulting print hasn't been made color.

Technician

A customer once asked me why their paper was so sharp and why they kept getting paper cuts from it.....

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

When the customer rides your ass because "you don't calibrate the machine often enough" but keeps printing the jobs with the fiery option "colorwise off" because "the colors come out more natural"...
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!