Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Would you like to see members banned that give out Total Counter Resets?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 77.08%
  • No

11 22.92%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Passing Duplication Xpert 1,000+ Posts cobiray's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oronocova View Post
    Maybe there should be an entrance exam of sorts, either pertaining to "your brand" in particular or equipment in general. Wouldn't be hard to do just 5 or so questions would weed out those who belong and not. Even if this only kept you from viewing certain forums.
    That's been discussed in the past. I personally think it would be a fabulous idea. Not because I'm some kind of elitist or anything, but so the info is being distributed to techs and not someone who doesn't want to pay for a service call.
    While we're shooting for the moon, I'd love to see users actually use the search function also. No to bash the newbies, but it seems to be them who don't do a search a week after the question has been asked before.

Passing Duplication Xpert 1,000+ Posts cobiray's Avatar
    For the record, I'm not one way or another on the issue. I won't be giving out any info if I think the person is an end user and it involves tech modes, counter resets, etc. Not that I will get it right all the time, but I do try to limit my involvement with end users.

Also annoying are the hit and runners. Those who ask a question, get an answer and don't contribute or come back until they have another question to be answered. Grrrrr.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Poll: Non-professional behavior.

Its a bad way to sell the machine as a new one anyway .

I personaly vote for non ban but to warn them yes...U wont get a lot whit an ban since they will register as a new user.

A lot of people(techs) do that but in small proportion so its relatively, natural....

The Great Gazoo 250+ Posts kyoceradude's Avatar
    The administrators of other sites look for keywords in all new posts and will not show them if they contain such keywords. It will give you a message that the administrator deleted your post because it contained certain keywords. Maybe the administrators here can do the same?
    My mission here on Earth is to help all you Dum-Dums!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Thumbs down

Not very likely. Not with the sysop here!

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

A technical competentcy exam may be a good idea although it would be difficult to comprise a list of questions to cover all types and manufacturers of equipment.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar
    This is a very difficult thing to police. An end user could come prancing on here pretending they are a technician and still weevil the information they require out of a tech.

I'm all for banning people who ask for and provide information to clear a machine's total counter, as this is of course completely illegal.

However, giving a customer information on how to get into service mode on a machine isn't necessarily harmful in certain situations, i.e. resetting SC543 on a Russian. It's the customer's fault if they start messing around with other settings. I can understand the point of view that "service mode is for technicians", but as FRIDGEMAGNET says where do you draw the line?

I agree a pre-joining exam would be the best thing to stop end users accessing the forum. Questions like "what is a CIS", "what does a CCD do", "what are VSG and VSP" etc (obviously manufacturer specific) would have most end users stumped.

Let's not go over the top here though.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Service Manager 250+ Posts FRIDGEMAGNET's Avatar
    You could use the PDI plus exam as a test.

The whole point of the Internet was supposed to be a free exchange of ideas. I don't think people should necessarily be penalized for simply asking a question. Having said that, let me assure all of you that I would never give out any information like total counter resets, login account information to manufacturer tech support sites or anything of the sort. However, I don't feel the need to bash people who try to get this information. We don't need to band together and eradicate every poster who posts something that annoys us. Just ignore their post. It's not that hard to do.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Do you have any opinions, Copyboy?
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=