Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    All I know is that my manager calls me as the Fireman of the team.

He and the higher ups are constantly trying to micro manage by telling us that are is the field what parts we can use. The closer to the end of the month\quarter the less we are told we can use.

After the other tech's play by the rules, eventually the machines are running like crap and the customers are pissed. That's when he sends me in to put the fire out by calming the customer and fixing the machine. The majority of the time the fix is a PM kit, a drum, and developer. I get be the hero until my review, then I hear that my parts usage is too high, but keep doing what I'm doing. ( The good ol' catch 22).

My company has us carry an auto restock in our cars (usually nothing that i need to fix the copiers, so the crap just rides around in my car costing me gas money.) I wish that they would allow those of us that know how to do our jobs, just do our jobs without interference. The machines would be running so much better and the customers would be happier.

I say do a PM when it needs to be done, not after multiple visits and the customer is pissed off.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Parts... to change or not to change.

In the past I've been the victim of auto re-stocking.

Some computer program takes a statistical average of the number used of each part per month, then an arbitrary number of turns per month is selected.

It becomes a continual battle. At the end of the month I used to get a list of 40 line items to return, over 1/2 of which was going to be needed.

Here's a great example: This one copier requires 6 upper fuser claws to do a rebuild, but I only am allowed to have 2 in carstock. The return list comes asking for 4 claws returned. If I don't return them I will only get restocked 2 when next month comes around. Having 2 fuser claws, like 1 fuser bearing is useless. You might as well not have any, because you won't be tearing apart a fuser to install your 2 claws and 1 bearing. You have to order the rest of the parts.

This is one case where the statistical average is less than useless.

I'll stop my rant here. Clearly, the person managing this program has no f'ing clue what techs do for a living. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Toner Monkey 250+ Posts
    I'm suffering on parts spend at the moment purely for two very unfortunate reasons.

I'm the only person in my area to carry the (Godzilla sized) PCU unit for the 1224c/3224c and all of the development units for both (yep all eight of those massive boxes), and also every single part for the fuser, the belt assy, pressure roller, stripper pawl assy and oil unit.

Because I'm the only engineer to have all of this stuff, that means anytime anyone else on the team goes out to one of these POSes, they are there for all of five minutes before getting on the phone to dispatch to get the call put under me. I have to go and basically PM the entire machine as usually (with a few notable exceptions) the previous guy has done nothing.

It's not my choice to carry all of this stuff as it means that I can only use my car for buisness, this is an idea cooked up by management that one person should carry all this crap for the TEAM and I just ended up drawing the short straw. The problem is, they don't factor the parts spend into the total area spend, they factor it into my parts spend. So that's a double hit!

What's also hitting me is the godawful dev/toner of the MP4000/5000. I've fitted the modified dev units in a number of the most problematic machines because essentially the customers (quite righty IMO) were coming to the end of their patience. I've been boxing them up with the crapped out dev still inside them, a full SMC printout, copy quality examples and have even included some quite scathing customer complaint letters when sending them back to base.

But everytime I fit one, that's another few hundred theoretically added onto my parts spend, the likelihood is the company should be fully reimbursed under warranty but that doesn't get factored in at the point of fitting.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar
    I'm of the "if it needs it, fit it" school of thought. We replace dev at suggested life and important stuff like ozone filters etc, fuser components are fit on fail, PCU items are fit on fail if before PM, etc etc. I do get some flak for fitting stuff but at the end of the day our manager says we fit parts if the machine requires them. 'Nuff said.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Llama God's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    I'm of the "if it needs it, fit it" school of thought. We replace dev at suggested life and important stuff like ozone filters etc, fuser components are fit on fail, PCU items are fit on fail if before PM, etc etc. I do get some flak for fitting stuff but at the end of the day our manager says we fit parts if the machine requires them. 'Nuff said.
    Oh come off it, your parts spend is £1500-£2000 per day...they don't call you King Swap-Out for nothing! Your drop-box is also known as Anglesey to the locals, although you do let people live there for a nominal fee. And don't get me started on your mileage.

Just joshing chief

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar
    Busted.... you've ratted me out as one of these engineers who can't fix a fault, I just throw parts at it then escalate it to my tech spec. I'll hide in a corner for a week methinks.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    I'm of the "if it needs it, fit it" school of thought.
    Same here - when i have my figures through for the month i look at my recall rate and then first time fix.

I've been told i spend too much and asked why, my reply "you can only clean a bold feed tyre so many times"

To many engineers are more concerned with keeping their cost down than fitting parts when they should, so the next engineer comes along and has to fit what should have been fitted in the first place.

My biggest hate "engineers that put cuts across bold feed tyres to get them out of the door but never order the part"

I agree throwing parts at a machine isn't right but that comes down to training someone correctly on how to fault find in the first place.

If my recall rate is good i'm happy knowing i've doing it right first time and can quite happily justify my parts spend.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Parts... to change or not to change.

If I dont spend the bosses money on spare parts he will only go out and buy another expensive car. If he buys another car his misses will give him a hard time. If his misses gives him a hard time he'll come to work with $hit on the liver and give every body grief.
    So there for the more I spend on spare parts the happier everybody is!
    Well thats my theory
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Technician 50+ Posts
    We run as a 'General rule' a 10% policy. By that I mean parts expenditure should be about 10% of service revenue generated.However we are kept on a very long lead, with nobody looking over our shoulder or breeding down our necks.

Generally I try and follow the P.M. tables. I think it just cuts down on calls and reduces the larger costs a company has i.e amount of engineers on the road, repeat calls, vechicles, wages, fuel etc.
    Its much easier to keep customers onboard and happy when they have well maintained machines that run fairly trouble free for four or five years.
    I always try and give as good a quality of service as I can. Our company will never be the cheapest with regard to service contracts, we never claim to be but we do provide a good quality service, and thats what our sales people go out and sell.

With regards to car/van parts we carry our 100 top moving parts in our vans/cars.