Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool bags

Senior Tech 250+ Posts vincent64's Avatar

Tool bags

Hi ya'll, just curious what every one uses for a tool bag or case out there, and do you carry a laptop into every call or not.
    I use a CLC open top bag with pockets on the outside and inside, tools are all right there in the open, I keep my meter and canned air and some cleaning rags on the inside, easy to get to them all.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Tool bags

I've probably gone through 5 or 6 cases before this one. The early ones were the 6" wide, $69 to $99 jobs. The aluminum piano hinges usually give out first. Or the chemicals rot the bottom out of it. Or the feet break through the bottom from dropping it or sitting on it like a stool.

This one was the first that I bought for myself. I had hoped to carry the laptop in it, but it's just too damn heavy with the laptop inside.

This is the 7 1/2" wide case, and its about 38 lbs. So unless you look like Schwartzeneggar don't even think about the cases from 8" to 11" wide.

If you're interested look here: JTK-93<br>Electro-Mechanical Service Kit - Stanley Supply & Services

=^..^=
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

When I was out in the field I used to keep my tools and stuff in one of those tool case backpacks. It was nice being able to have my hands free to carry a vacuum or laptop. I never carried my laptop in my tool case. I was always afraid it would get damaged by a tool or spilled cleaning fluid.

Copier Psychologist 250+ Posts Kopyrtek's Avatar
    My first kit was a 6 inch hard case.Never thought i would get away from it but i really like my soft side.Have only had to replace it once since the zipper gave way.Dont like to carry too much since the shoulder doesnt like all the weight these days but have to say it carries what i need.Laptop goes by itself as does the vac.

Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar
    My first kit was issued by Xerox and it was a very simple brief case type with all the basic tools needed and plenty of room. After leaving Xerox and joining the company I work for now, I was giving a bag. It was rather small and I didn't like it at all. After a while, I found another bag in the shop that had two main zippers and other assorted pockets and such inside. It worked great for me for about two years.

Within the last two years or so, I have went back to a brief case tool case and like it a lot better. But, also within that time, we got all our techs laptops. It also worked out that I was the only one on our team that instead of getting a laptop bag, I got a laptop case. It has rollers, with an telescoping handle. Inside... well, it has three main zippers and inside that there are countless compartments! I actually found a new one yesterday!!

So... aside from my briefcase, in my laptop case, I carry the following; One small Katun container of alcohol, a bottle of brilinize, several rags for covers, several lint free cloths, a Snap-On Ratching Screwdriver (with multiple bits in the handle), a spring hook tool, Snap-On snap ring pliers with another set of different size attachments, small needle nose pliers, small wire cutters, 90 degree angle pick tool, a USB multi-card reader, a one foot extension USB cable for the reader, two 128mb SD cards, one 4mb PCMCIA card, one 5 port hub (true hub, for packet capturing), power adapter for hub, 3 three foot length CAT5e cables... think... think... think... Oh! A home made crossover cable that's about 3 foot in length, Ricoh b/w test pattern (ran out of the savin patterns, so...), Ricoh PCL Reference Guide, other documents that are too many to name. Oh! And my Dell Latitude D800 laptop and power brick.

Bear in mind, I used to have a D600. And the laptop and brick used to fit perfectly in the center section of the case. Now that I have the D800, which has a full 15 inch screen, instead of the 14 inch screen, the brick doesn't fit in the same compartment as the laptop. So, I utilize one of the separate compartments in the back on the case for the brick.

Even on a big job, with the use of a 3 foot bungy cord, I can carry my vacuum and a PM Kit on top of my laptop case. Just telescope the handle out, place the vacuum on top of the case, then the PM kit, then hook the bungy cord at the bottom of the case and wrap it around the top of the load and around the handle of the laptop case. Back around to the bottom of the otherside of the laptop case and nothing with move!

I know it's a Targus case, so I will see if I can find the model... here it is... Targus TPJ700 MediaMate ProjectorNotebook Combo Rolling Case - Fits Notebook PCs up to 16" at TigerDirect.com

Lucky... I know... the rest of the guys have these... Targus TCG200 CityGear Miami Messenger Case - Fits Notebook PCs up to 17" at TigerDirect.com which actually have a lot more room than they look like. One of our guys actually put a 6 pack in there!! so... go figure!
    Last edited by unisys12; 04-10-2009 at 06:06 AM.

The first law states that energy is conserved: The change in the internal energy is equal to the amount added by heating minus the amount lost by doing work on the environment.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Llama God's Avatar
    Christ on a bike Blackcat, have you got enough tools there?

I've got one Snap-On driver, a tube of Superglue and a huge fuck-off hammer. That's for the customers though, not the machines.

Oh, and I have pockets to carry it all in.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Tool bags

That's just the catalog pic. I might have that many tools, but it's a wild collection of soldering equipment, dental picks, home made drive handles, and a bunch of other junk I never use.

For daily use, if I had a good #2 magnetic Phillips, a heavy duty spring hook, and a pair of hemostats that would cover most of my calls. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Tool bags

I carry a pouch for simple calls and a PM BFC.
    The pouch has simple tools, rags and chemicals to do a quick call.
    The BFC has soldering tools, bag of tricks (odd parts to do a fix until I can get the right part), diapers and heavy tools.
    When I need the BFC I have a collapsible dolly that I load it all onto and wheel it in.
    I don't carry a laptop, I carry an 8 GIG memory stick with all my service, parts and P2P manuals and ask to use a workstation.
    I carry a 2 GIG memory stick with all the drivers and software.
    I always said work smart, not hard.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts neergish's Avatar
    A little bit to the left of the centre of the known universe.
    I got myself a Veto Pro pac LC, was a bit pricy but i love it

V E T O P R O P A C - Store

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Tool bags

Tool bags

Although I started as a copier tech, I am a printer tech so its a little different. I used to carry a big tool case, but it got hard when I had to carry fusers, cartridges and a vacuum. I was using tools and parts from a company called TSA world. They sell Wiha. Anyway after about 2 years of that I began to carry a small zippered pouch that contains a HP toolkit pouch. The HP toolkit is wonderful because it has every type of tool needed to work on deskjets, laserjets, & plotters but you don't carry a lot and its lightweight. It has torx set, mini-sockets, allen hex Posidrive phillips #1 and #2. In the pouch I carried, duckbill pliers, long handled #2 phillips, long handle 3/16" slotted, flashlight, 2 brushes, 3 different kinds of springhooks, little ruler, pocket knife, hemostats (2) and telescoping dentist type mirror. I still kept the big kit in my trunk that has set of feeler gauges, soldering iron, multi-meter, adjustable wrenches, channel lock pliers, wire stripper, magnetizer, ball peen hammer, grabbing tool, needlenose, retaining ring pliers, and half a dozen other drivers of different sizes in case I needed it. I had a case that went on the Atrix vacuum that holds the cleaning chemicals and rags. I use an aluminum folding cart to carry everything. I liked the vendor I used so much I eventually went to work for them. So I don't carry my tools on site anymore. Only when I'm doing a side call for me on one of my friends machines. I DON'T let anyone touch or borrow my tools unless I'm right in front of them and I personally put it back in my pouch so I know its there. My tools at work are provided by the company, but I still don't like people borrowing my tools. I got screaming mad at the owner of the company when I borrowed my #2 without asking permission. LOL.
    Last edited by prntrfxr; 04-22-2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: spelling error
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".