Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    What's your most irritating Customer question and how do you want to answer it?

I like that one myself.

My favorite has to be when I have a machine gutted with the subassemblies lying all around me and someone walks up and asks "can I make a copy?"

My pat answer for this one is "I'd like to see that! Go ahead, if you think you can."
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Or how about this one...

Q: (well, more of a statement, but irritating nonetheless)
    "We ought to get you your own office and a coffee cup with your name on it since you're here so often." (Then he laughs loudly at his own feeble attempt at humor, believing himself to be clever).

A: (wouldn't do it of course, but the thought is comforting for some reason)
    Set him on fire and giggle like a little girl as he pours hot coffee on himself to douse the flames.

Nurse Ratched of Repair 250+ Posts KopyKat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cboucher View Post
    Or how about this one...

"We ought to get you your own office and a coffee cup with your name on it since you're here so often." (Then he laughs loudly at his own feeble attempt at humor, believing himself to be clever).

A: (wouldn't do it of course, but the thought is comforting for some reason)
    Set him on fire and giggle like a little girl as he pours hot coffee on himself to douse the flames.

When they say that to me, I respond with "When is payday?" "When is the Company Picnic?" "Which office is mine and who will be my administrative assistant?"

Relax! This firmware injection won't hurt...but it will take 45 minutes.

Nurse Ratched of Repair 250+ Posts KopyKat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vincent64 View Post
    My favorite is when they want you to call them first, to tell them whats wrong with the machine, or they want to know can I fix it over the phone.
    Often times I want to say can a surgen operate over the phone, but I bite my tounge and say no Mr or Ms cust, I have to see the machine.
    How about when they hold the phone up to the machine so you can hear the noise.

Relax! This firmware injection won't hurt...but it will take 45 minutes.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

A more serious problem...

What's your company policy on abusive customers that use very abrasive language, including a number of "F" bombs?

I walked into a firestorm last Friday and had this very thing happen. The customer had every right to be irritated. His old machine had already been picked up, delivery was 3 days late, and the wireless card we ordered added another 2 days, as it was also delayed. He said that this put him a week behind in production, and we were costing him money.

Regardless of reason, there was no reason to be torn into (this was the company owner in a small business) without him knowing me from Adam.

My understanding is that it's our option to leave when this happens. I didn't, and never have, but that was the closet I ever came.

Just wondering how many of us have been put in the same position.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

School District Tech 500+ Posts schooltech's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KopyKat View Post
    How about when they hold the phone up to the machine so you can hear the noise.

I used it to fix an improperly loaded stapler cartridge on a 1075 once when they did that!!!!!
    Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Comptia A+, Comptia Network+

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts
    What's your most irritating Customer question and how do you want to answer it?

I have been abused and yelled because a copier is down. If they continue while I have the machine apart, that's the way it stays. I'll pack my tools up and just leave.

If it's really bad straight from the get go, just walk out without even looking at the machine.

Q... Why does this machine always breakdown?
    A... That's because you keep using it. If you don't use the copier, it won't breakdown.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Service Manager 250+ Posts

My answer is always.
    You can not afford me.

Rob S

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Vista Tech's Avatar
    One of my favorites since we have a few machines at large health insurance companies that run over 50k a month.

Q. Wasn't the machine just down for this same reason last week?

A. (I've actually said this to the IT dept manager) Yes it was, and judging by the staples I just pulled out and the paper clip it was the same idiot who put the shit in the ADF that didn't belong there in the first place. Maybe you should direct them to the little sticker on the top that shows exactly what NOT to put through the ADF. I know it can seem tricky but your organization is a major health insurance company, I'm sure they can read.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar
    I had a customer who insisted that I wasn't going to leave until I had fixed the copier "even if it took all night". I replied fine, which side of the bed do you prefer to sleep on. She sat down & shut up when her colleagues started to rib her !