Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts
    People's Discretion

What a s#!t storm I have caused here! lol

This argument of "how much info is too much info" is never going to be resolved.

I was just letting off steam and look what happened. hahaha. Think I will just kick a copier next time and not say anything.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Nurse Ratched of Repair 250+ Posts KopyKat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
    What a s#!t storm I have caused here! lol

This argument of "how much info is too much info" is never going to be resolved.

I was just letting off steam and look what happened. hahaha. Think I will just kick a copier next time and not say anything.
    Nah, let the s#!t fly....that's why this forum is called Rants, Raves and Everything Else. I find this section is the place I can get a feel for how some of us really think and believe. You did nothing wrong.

Next time don't kick the copier, you could hurt your foot...come back and let it fly.

Relax! This firmware injection won't hurt...but it will take 45 minutes.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    People's Discretion

He apologized, what more do you want? Sheesh!

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts
    People's Discretion

Quote Originally Posted by KopyKat View Post
    Nah, let the s#!t fly....that's why this forum is called Rants, Raves and Everything Else. I find this section is the place I can get a feel for how some of us really think and believe. You did nothing wrong.

Next time don't kick the copier, you could hurt your foot...come back and let it fly.
    There is nothing more satisfying than ripping a scan lamp rail out of a helpless copier and then beating the copier to death with it. lol

I think we are all getting side tracked from the whole point of the thread though.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Agreed!

We're all in this mess together, as they say...
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    People's Discretion

We all are working for a living.
    Third world counties are no exception.
    I don't mind helping where I can, I just need to understand what the problem is in a better format.
    I tend to look if it is a new user, how many posts they place and even the username.
    A new user post I look at what they use for a username and how they post the question.
    Requests for manuals I tend to not reply because they are available for a price, or free if you do the right research.
    I use any place at the cheapest price when I can't find it anywhere else, I don't beg for free unless I can provide another manual in trade.

I still recommend a testing to distinguish tech from end user.
    Free fixes take money from us who can do it right the first time.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Tough Love

Sadly, I think as our so called "economy" gets dippier and dippier, the issue of end users and non-qualified service folks (regardless of location) will only progressively get worse.

It can be an extremely fine line between being helpful and giving away the keys to the proverbial castle.

While all of us are inclined to want to help, (after all, it's what we DO for a living) sometimes the best thing we can do is refer whoever is asking to check with a local dealer. I guess you could call it a form of "Tough Love".

Doing so will get better results and cost much less in the long run, not to mention maintaining the integrity of the industry as a whole.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    People's Discretion

Although I commented on your original post that caused all this fuss, I didn't feel offended in any way - just sharing my point of view!

About kicking the copier, I had a couple of chances of breaking some returned machines from a competing manufacturer with my hands (and feet) and, man! Did that feel great!

School District Tech 500+ Posts schooltech's Avatar
    Well, if we're going to be kicking the machines, there seems to be a great supply of "brand name" shoes trying to be peddled on the site!!!!!

Given the new poster (same guy I assume) that wants us to buy shoes, I guess we can all pitch in a bit and get some healthy 'air jordan' discounts.

Oh, the trips to the scrap yard with some copiers felt great----the memories----
    Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Comptia A+, Comptia Network+

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    Not every foreigner posting on this board writes in a broken english - at least, I hope so!

On the other hand, I've learned that more than 50% of the people that speak/write bad english are people that use english as a primary language - so your argument isn't so strong (this also applies to other languages, of course).
    Not that I want to re-open this can of worms but I would like to comment on this.
    I was born and raised in Germany, learned some english in school. I came to these United States ten years ago and had to learn quite a lot of the english language. I KNOW that my english is a lot better than that of a lot of people whose 1st language is english, especially the written (spelling) stuff. When I read some of the things on the various message boards I often wonder how these people made it through high school.
    Don't get me going on spanish. Why is it that you find signs in spanish everywhere? why is it I have to press 1 for english? I can press 2 for spanish, so what number do I press for german?????
    I don't care that Mexico borders the USA. I am not a racist by any means, but this is an english speaking country. So if you want to live here, learn the language. I had to do it, so can everyone else.