Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    People's Discretion

Thanks Owl. It was about time for that commentary.

I have a lot of respect for members that can communicate in a second language. I can't always understand then, but I respect them, and try to make sense of what I get. Is that so difficult? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Lewis View Post
    Got a chuckle out of this. Native Americans were somewhat in the same position 300 years ago that we are in today. They were invaded by people of a radically different culture and superior numbers. They ended up losing and being to a lessor or greater extend being subsumed by that culture.

I don't want to start down that same path.
    well said!!!

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
    Well I don't know how my thread turned into this, but I think it is time that I put my two cents in.

Most of the posts recently are talking about learning english if you go to an english speaking country. I think what may have sparked this is the mention of broken english.

Well...... This is the internet people, not your country. The last time I checked, the internet is available in countries that don't speak english. Well done to the people that get on here and give it a go.

If you don't want to reply to these so called broken english threads, then don't. No one is forcing you.

For those who do try to help, well done.

It shouldn't matter where we come from or what language we speak, we all need help at some stage and some times that requires going the extra mile and going out of your comfort zone.

For some people, english is out of their comfort zone. Be tolerant!
    I agree 100%. I wasn't talking about "foreigners" posting on the internet in broken english, it's great that they try.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    By taking the English only path , we have held ourselves and our children back. When someone speaks broken English, it means they are on their way to one day being bilingual in most cases. Knowledge is power and when a group of people can talk to you in your own language and then talk among themselves in their own language, you kind of lose some power. I really wish I had studied a foreign language when I was younger. As far as those who say the language has something to do with our culture, let us remember that our language was long ago blended with slang words and words from other cultures. Now when someone speaks correct or proper English, they are usually considered arrogant or condescending
    Watch out! What if a company in China came out with a new copier that everyone sold and you could only get tech support by trying to write questions in broken Chinese on one of their tech sites. The 60ppm machine will be at Wal-Mart fully loaded with a finisher for $295. Then you can go to Sams Club and buy a pallet of drums for $75. Later I am going to look up " Error code 101, please tell me fix, I need free manual now. thank you friends, help me plez." and find out how to type it in as many eastern toungues as possible. I want to be ready just in case.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

I think this whole racism thing has been blown way out of proportion. Today it seems as if almost everyone is trying hard to avoid any social no-gos to the extent of forgetting common sense or even courtesy or understanding. Regarding the comment on the first page about people posting in broken english - I think it goes without saying that in 90% of scams or cases of shady business the person on the other end is not capable of properly speaking or writing the language of the "target" land. So I am being an evil racist and say that people from other countries are naturally inferior to me because I can speak/write proper english (or even german)? No.

I am saying that those people are fully aware of legal repercussions their business practices may carry and its only natural they are not doing what they do in their own country. I am sure the guy who posted the comment about broken english had exactly that in mind.

I think accusing someone of being racist has become a natural reflex in many countries today - especially in the US. I mean, I do not live in the US, spent the first 10 years of my life in egypt and the rest of it in germany, but the news are full of accounts of how xy was racist about yz. Please, give me a break. Think before you post.

Back to the current topic: I dont mind helping people out who are not fluent in english/german as long as I am at least able to make out what they are trying to say or ask. Personally, I do not judge people easily or fast. I give everyone a fair chance when the first contact occurs. Anything else would be being prejudiced, which is something I despise deeply. Most problems in society arise from people who comdemn others because of single words or actions, without seeing the person or the people as a whole.

People should learn to see others as what they are - complex beings who are flawed. Everyone makes mistakes or fails to bring their point across sometimes. There undoubtly are evil people - but calling someone evil because of a single statement does not help anyone.

I do believe however that if you emigrate to another country you should be able to speak said countries language. Whats the point of emigrating if you dont want to actually integrate into the country of your choosing? Might as well stay at home then

Okay, that was a bit long now. Just had to let it go
    Since the creation of the internet, the rotation of Earth has been powered by English teachers spinning in their graves.