Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts
    People's Discretion

People's Discretion

I know this came up a while ago, but I encountered this again and now I'm peeved and need to let off some steam.

We get back back to the age old counter debate. There was a post thread that I answered to inregards to a counter not counting. I carefully pointed the person in the right direction without saying too much and then someone comes along and just drops the bombshell with the service code and setting.

Fine, the person who started the thread wanted the counter to work again, but everyone else that reads the thread will no know how to turn the counter off!!!

I already feel sorry for everyone that starts to get 0 meter reads in the following months for the copy costs. This sort of information could be more destructive than helpful.

Is there anyone on this forum that can do something about these posts? Don't have to remove the thread, but removing the post would probably be in the best interest to this community.

Well that's the steam gone, I might go and kick a wrecked machine around the warehouse for a bit now.

Cheerio.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Nurse Ratched of Repair 250+ Posts KopyKat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
    I know this came up a while ago, but I encountered this again and now I'm peeved and need to let off some steam.

We get back back to the age old counter debate. There was a post thread that I answered to inregards to a counter not counting. I carefully pointed the person in the right direction without saying too much and then someone comes along and just drops the bombshell with the service code and setting.

Fine, the person who started the thread wanted the counter to work again, but everyone else that reads the thread will no know how to turn the counter off!!!

I already feel sorry for everyone that starts to get 0 meter reads in the following months for the copy costs. This sort of information could be more destructive than helpful.

Is there anyone on this forum that can do something about these posts? Don't have to remove the thread, but removing the post would probably be in the best interest to this community.

Well that's the steam gone, I might go and kick a wrecked machine around the warehouse for a bit now.

Cheerio.
    I couldn't agree more! Excellent Post!!!

I'll share my Happy Pills if you need them.

Relax! This firmware injection won't hurt...but it will take 45 minutes.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    People's Discretion

What happens is, someone starts the thread, they get no replies for a few days, then some 'hero' comes along and posts it. Now everybody and their mother can see it. As a moderator here, I delete these posts as much as I can. Something I have noticed is that most of the people who start these threads are from 3rd world countries, and subsequently the people who are most interested in them are also from 3rd world countries. Kinda tells you something doesn't it?

Paul@justmanuals.com

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    I've found that it's generally best not to respond to posts that are written in broken English.

I think the most memorable of those that I've seen is the person who wanted a manual for a Canon iR110. C'mon, you can't be serious!! Nothing like asking for quick info on a machine that carries a minimum price tag of about $250,000, and can easily go up to $400,000. Not to mention that service training on the beast is 6 weeks, and analyst training (which I attended) is 2 weeks. It's also assumed that you have a working knowledge of Sun Solaris UNIX. And so on...
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by manuals4you View Post
    What happens is, someone starts the thread, they get no replies for a few days, then some 'hero' comes along and posts it. Now everybody and their mother can see it. As a moderator here, I delete these posts as much as I can. Something I have noticed is that most of the people who start these threads are from 3rd world countries, and subsequently the people who are most interested in them are also from 3rd world countries. Kinda tells you something doesn't it?

Paul@justmanuals.com
    But you have no problem selling anyone a manual on your website?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    People's Discretion

None at all. The site is open to everyone (except those on the blacklist) and justmanuals.com runs automatically Having a manual doesn't make you a technician. And when a lay person does something as specified in the manual, he's liable to f*ck it up worse, then for sure he'll need a tech.

OMG!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    I've found that it's generally best not to respond to posts that are written in broken English.

WOW!!! That is the most racist thing I have EVER seen on this board.

There are many many qualified technicians around the globe that come here for help. Some can't speak English well let alone write it. No wonder the rest of the world thinks so poorly of the USA. It's comments like that which make us Americans look like pompous a$$es.

To all the non-english speaking technicians out there. Please know that not all of us on this board are bigots.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    People's Discretion

Not every foreigner posting on this board writes in a broken english - at least, I hope so!

On the other hand, I've learned that more than 50% of the people that speak/write bad english are people that use english as a primary language - so your argument isn't so strong (this also applies to other languages, of course).

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    I'm sorry if I offended anyone by my comment about the "broken English" thing; that was not my intention at all. I am not a bigot.

I do understand that quite a few very well qualified techs (regardless of location) may not speak or write Oxfordian English. I give them a lot of credit; they do way better at English than I would do with any other language. I'm sorry that I didn't stop to consider that before posting.

We here is the US, along with a number of other locations, are spoiled by having the ability to readily contact the manufacturers easily. Customers also have the convenience (at least normally) to use several dealers in the area. I believe that we take this for granted sometimes.

My understanding is that quite a few other locations around the globe don't have this luxury, and have to scrap and scrape for any type of info they can find. They simply don't have the same easy access to support that we do. If they did, chances are they wouldn't be asking questions here. (At least not as often, anyway.)

It's just that I've seen so many posts poorly written that it's quite clear that quite a few of them (nowhere near all) have no clue of what they are doing, (normally NOT their fault!) and are only going to get themselves deeper in a hole. It is nearly if not impossible to lend enough usable help to someone who is so much in need of it in a forum such as this. Between the technology and language barriers, it becomes an impossible task. My heart goes out to anyone placed in this position.

That's how we once again find ourselves in the position of "how much is too much" information that should be shared on this site. I'm not sure that there are any good answers to that question.

Again, please accept my apologies for my comment. I guess I was stuck on stupid. I did not mean to offend or demean anyone.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    I'm sorry if I offended anyone by my comment about the "broken English" thing; that was not my intention at all. I am not a bigot.

I do understand that quite a few very well qualified techs (regardless of location) may not speak or write Oxfordian English. I give them a lot of credit; they do way better at English than I would do with any other language. I'm sorry that I didn't stop to consider that before posting.

We here is the US, along with a number of other locations, are spoiled by having the ability to readily contact the manufacturers easily. Customers also have the convenience (at least normally) to use several dealers in the area. I believe that we take this for granted sometimes.

My understanding is that quite a few other locations around the globe don't have this luxury, and have to scrap and scrape for any type of info they can find. They simply don't have the same easy access to support that we do. If they did, chances are they wouldn't be asking questions here. (At least not as often, anyway.)

It's just that I've seen so many posts poorly written that it's quite clear that quite a few of them (nowhere near all) have no clue of what they are doing, (normally NOT their fault!) and are only going to get themselves deeper in a hole. It is nearly if not impossible to lend enough usable help to someone who is so much in need of it in a forum such as this. Between the technology and language barriers, it becomes an impossible task. My heart goes out to anyone placed in this position.

That's how we once again find ourselves in the position of "how much is too much" information that should be shared on this site. I'm not sure that there are any good answers to that question.

Again, please accept my apologies for my comment. I guess I was stuck on stupid. I did not mean to offend or demean anyone.
    Yeah... nice back-pedal...