Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    I think that sometimes the IT person on the customers end is just the person who knows more about such things than anyone else in the office. I am not a genius, but when I ask the IT person if he can ping the printer and he cocks his head to the side like a dog hearing a high pitched noise and repeats the word "ping" questioningly, I sure feel like one.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    I think I know that guy....
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    I think one of the best ways to get IT on your side is for your dealership to work with IT before the sale, don't just involve them in a post sale role.

I really don't want to get started on how most sales managers and sales reps handle connected deals.... Grrrrrrrrr
    In any REAL networked environment we have a "network analyst" who helps the sales force and the customer's IT prepare the network for the new machines. Unfortunatly the analyst does not do the final install and a "lesser" techs is left to handle this (usually me). Most of the time I can get the Information I need from the IT guy but I have to beat a sales rep or a sales manager to find out who the IT guy is and how to get a hold of him/her.

As to how sales handles this..... Well lets just say I have a sales rep that refuses to let me install her sales. Something about postponing the install till 3 days after month end due to missing/incomplete paper work. And because it went past the month end they did not get to meet quota and lost $$$ in bonus.
    The other sales reps know to fill it out right and ASK questions before the machine is delivered to the customer...
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Hi, Mr. Spock,

Do you use any sort of network survey for connected installs?

We have one, which asks the basics: Server OS, Workstation OS(es), SMTP info, proprietary applications, network contact, etc...

We also have a work order which states what is to be done.

Unfortunately, sometimes these forms fall by the wayside (especially at the end of the month), and the techs are forced to wing it on the installs.

This leads to a huge disconnect with IT - sometimes they don't even know the equipment (or a tech) is coming, and then... SURPRISE!

Then management wonders why it sometimes take so long to complete an installation...
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar
    We have 2 site survey sheets. One on line and one paper version. If I had one or the other (2-3 days in advance) then it is no big deal call the customer and the IT guy and see what and when it needs to be done. But usually I get a workorder to go install the machine before I know it is coming. And then try to figure out who sold it, where the paper work is and by then the customer is screaming because the delivery guy took the old one with him and they left the new one wrapped up waiting for us to install.
    Part of the paper one tells the customer how many free machines and servers and what features (scan fax..) and who gets quick training. By default I do 1or 2 servers and 5-7 workstations then bill by the hour for any more. I will give 15 minutes basic copier function training and 15 minutes of network print/management training to the IT people. After that it is all billable. A small 8 person office I may not bill the extra depending on attitude.
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    IT vs. Tonerheads

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    I think I know that guy....
    Hey, what? You know that guy too?

Heck, he's everywhere!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    IT vs. Tonerheads

Boy, that person sure gets around!! Jeez!!

A.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jimbo1's Avatar

Infallible

I think the situation I wind up with the most that has caused me the most grief is the complete and utter infallibility of the computers and network at whichever client the IT person in question is servicing.

It is

N E V E R the network.

It is

A L W A Y S the MFP. ALways.

I have had no less than four cases where I have been in major hot water for not resolving a situation until the IT opens up and says...

"Oh yeah we found that, it was on our end."

Much, much, much grief preceeded this confession.

It's bad when you can't copy when connected to the network..so you get the laptop...build a port...set the IP and print a small book no proble.
    Hook it back into the network and it tanks but it's still YOUR equipment causing the problem. This was the guy who admitted his network was at fault.

And it stormed right after that.
    "Some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you."

Cdr. William Riker

School District Tech 500+ Posts schooltech's Avatar
    I get a call from an account about 1 & 1/2 hours away on a Monday morning a few years ago, with a guy saying that our Kyocera would no longer scan or lan fax, as the fax routing would no longer route their faxes.

I did not set up this Kyocera so I said something like, "Ok, when did you notice all of this stop? Has anything recently changed on the network?" The guy first said, "no," then after a few brief seconds of silence he chimed back in, "Actually, I just changed out all of their computers over the weekend with brand new desktops."

Dammit---------DID I NOT JUST ASK YOU IF SOMETHING CHANGED AND YOU SAID NO!!! I GUESS YOUR HOTSHOT ATTITUDE CANNOT SEEM TO ANSWER SIMPLE QUESTIONS? Yeah, you go you bad-ass.

Of course, this WAS their contracted "IT" person that called me. Needless to say, I had to go up there and get everything working again. It was, as most small networks are, somewhat hokey and I needed to do the regular work-arounds to make everything go smoothly.
    Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Comptia A+, Comptia Network+

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    IT vs. Tonerheads

Quote Originally Posted by schooltech View Post
    It was, as most small networks are, somewhat hokey and I needed to do the regular work-arounds to make everything go smoothly.
    Yeah, I sometimes feel like a plumber, fixing leaks here and there...