Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    pheonix1061
    Well I just had to chime in. I've been doing this for twenty eight years and you see alot of great stuff over the years. I had a customer who had a paper jam. So he thought he'd remove the drum module and try to clear the jam. This is an older Xerox from the eighties. He proceeds to take off the front cover. If he'd stopped there hed'a been fine. But noooo. He then decides to remove the drum module. The drum module is held in place with one, count them, one ie. 1 thumb screw. He takes out eight or ten screws all around the outside of the drum module frame. Everything inside of the drum module just collapsed in on itself. When I got there, the frame had all collapsed, but the front frame member was still in place. Held in by "one" thumb screw.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    We Have a Winner for the Dumbest User Post!!!

I had a guy at Grissom AFB remove ALL the bins from a Gradco 20 bin sorter and left them in a pile on the floor for me to take care of. I removed the misfeed from the FUSER and we billed them for the call. Next time I seen him, he informed me I got him in trouble. He still didn't think he did anything wrong. What a numbnut.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    I once responded to a call for jamming in the fuser. Was I amused to discover the client thought the teflon coated heat roller looked dirty, so using sandpaper and a Scothbrite pad polished 'er up!

Another genius thought his machine could uses to be cleaned, so wheeled it out to the shop and blasted it out with HP compressed air to the point where the selenium on the drum sloughed off in a sheet (shredded to bits, of course).

We have all seen at least one emptied or vacuumed out dev unit.

I had one guy who found some old toner from an old inorganic drum machine pour it into the cartridge of a machine using an organic drum and after a short while the machine began to print in negative! Now that was kinda neat.

A common tactic I also see is customers who experience black lines and then decide to change the toner. Yeah, go lady, throw more black stuff at it! That oughtta fix it.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    We Have a Winner for the Dumbest User Post!!!

Like Zed, I had a fraternity (of engineers!) crack open a Samsung laser printer cartridge and poured the dual component toner into a Canon NP-2120 monocomponent developing unit. The resulting copies were completely negative, and there was only one place that the toner didn't want to be- in the dev unit. All of this the day after I vacuumed HP toner out of the dev unit (it was a little better). =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician
    I was barely out of training and went on a call for a Sharp AR-150 with constant Toner Empty indicator.
    When I got there, the customer told me there is no way it was out of toner, as she had been putting toner in it for half an hour.

She had ripped open the front door (without opening the side door, broke the interlock) pulled the cartridge out a bit, wedged open the waste toner tank shutter and had been pouring and poking some ancient Konica(i think) toner out of a bottle, into the waste toner tank, using a pencil as a ramrod.

After I clean up the machine and explain to her the problem, she gets upset with me, because I (??) sold her a machine that takes "one of them whole toner thangs"

Thats probably my most memorable.

Senior Production Tech 100+ Posts texchar555's Avatar
    Ok, I got one, I had a customer calling about her fax machine wasnt receiving faxes. I was 40 miles from her and she was a charge account. Well I really didnt feel like driving all that way for a charge call. So I called her and asked her what was going on? she replied by saying the fax machine just rings and rings but never picks up. I asked her to look at the machine and make sure the two lights are on the auto recieve and standard. She said yes, I asked her for the fax number so I called it and sure thing it rang and rang. Well I drove there and asked her ok lets see what you got. She looked at me like I was some kind of a pervert. I said the machine, oohhh ok (BLONDS) I went aroung the corner and looked at the fax machine and through my hands up with disgust. I asked her I thought you said the lights were on. She said well they are on and at the same time looking up at the lights on the ceiling.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    I just went to a call yesterday to someone who swore that the counter was off on the machine and she was being billed for copies she was not making. The customer insisted that in the past 2 weeks she had only done 20 copies but the machine said she had done over 500. She thought when you send something from the computer that it was "making a copy" of that picture. She was also pissed because all she sent to the machine was b/w but it was clicking color. I explained was a "default" was, but she insisted that the whole thing was my shops fault because she was not smart enough to find the printer in the computer let alone change something like the default. How do you argue with that kind of logic?
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texchar555 View Post
    Ok, I got one, I had a customer calling about her fax machine wasnt receiving faxes. I was 40 miles from her and she was a charge account. Well I really didnt feel like driving all that way for a charge call. So I called her and asked her what was going on? she replied by saying the fax machine just rings and rings but never picks up. I asked her to look at the machine and make sure the two lights are on the auto recieve and standard. She said yes, I asked her for the fax number so I called it and sure thing it rang and rang. Well I drove there and asked her ok lets see what you got. She looked at me like I was some kind of a pervert. I said the machine, oohhh ok (BLONDS) I went aroung the corner and looked at the fax machine and through my hands up with disgust. I asked her I thought you said the lights were on. She said well they are on and at the same time looking up at the lights on the ceiling.
    The lights were on. alright... but there twarn't nobody t'home...
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Production Tech 100+ Posts texchar555's Avatar
    lol lol thats right

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    speaking of faxes...

Some of KM's newer boxes allow for a second fax option. Basically an addon card or extended case. The idea to allow for the possibility of an incoming and outgoing fax to happen at the same time, or in some instances, simultaneous broadcast or receive. Thus far, I have had two different offices with these options, but neither could figure out what their problem was. I originally set them up and explained that they needed two separate phone lines(physically separate with unique phone numbers) to the machine for this to operate as desired.

One office, they put a splitter plug at the wall and both fax lines plugged into it. They could not understand why some faxes were not going out or why the machine was not answering the fax line when a transmission was being sent.

The other had no second line at all. Same issue as the previous...multiple outgoing faxes, the second fax always failed.

Another customer plugged the phone line into the "phone" port instead of the "line" port.

Yet another had changed their phone switchboard....both you had to dial 9 to get an outside line, but the new one they used had a delay while it connected to an outside line. They were pissed off because our copier could not send out faxes like this. It was OUR fault they couldn't send a fax out and when I had figured out what the problem was, they were outraged they had to add a "P" (pause) command in their one touches and direct dial faxes, calling our box an inferior device. I challenged them by pointing to an old OKI fax sitting on the side that had speed dial. Use that and see how far you get....same issue...needed a pause for that too.

I swear, technology is too much for some people....they expect too much but insist that it only require one button to make things happen.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.