Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

The salesman said what?

After reading bits that have been said in other threads and feeling that the sales people are better targets of our rath than IT people, I felt that a thread on this topic would get some hits. Plus I could not believe this call I got.

While doing a full pm on a bizhub 600 in the middle of a very busy day, my shop calls to tell me that Doug {head salesman and the owners brother} needs my help. It seems he is at a customers location where he has sold a bizhub 200 and does not know how to set the fax settings. He needs me to stop what I am doing and drop by and show them how to do it. The girl calling me was the owners daughter, and Dougs niece, so I bit my tounge in half trying to keep my job. In my mind I said "Are you fucking joking ? Has he lost his goddamn mind. If I have to go over there I will bitch slap him when I get there". What I really said after I took a deep breath was "Tell doug to open the drawer at the bottom of the machine. In that drawer he will find a plastic bag. In that bag he will find a set of magic books. These all powerful books contain all of the information a human being or a salesman could need to know about a bizhub 200. You may also tell him to focus on the book of user operations for the fax, he does not need to read the whole stack. " She laughed and I kept my job another day.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    The salesman said what?

Typical scenario:

Customer interested in buying a machine wants to know if it will print on a dodgy type of paper. Salesperson solution? Bring a couple of sheets to our showroom and we'll see.

So the customer brings a couple of paper sheets,they're tried and amazingly the print quality is good enough so the customer buys the machine.

Later on, it's up to the technical department do the explaining why, after 100 prints, the machine started jamming/started printing out with lousy quality/etc.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Service Manager 100+ Posts Raymondd's Avatar
    One of our sales ladies (I use that term lightly) showed me some copies last night that were skewed real bad. This is on a out of the box KM 5050. So I send a tech out first thing this AM to rectify the problem. He just called and said the customer's original looked just like the copies she had.

Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar
    Our sales person just sold a Savin 2406 wide format printer/copier. When we delivered it, she looked at me and asked, "Aren't you going to show them how to use it?" I was thinking to myself, "What?" But I didn't I went through the whole bit with a smile. A few days later she comes in and tells me that I needed to go back out there are do more training with the customer on printing from AutoCAD. I told her that I would try to fit it into my schedule, which has been full as heck the past few weeks!

After I visited the customer site and got everything worked out, I went into her office and told not to ever sell anything again if she didn't know anything about the product. The customer is ok, but they really needed a dual roll tray and not a single. Plus, this customer was a prime canidate for scanning and she never brought it up. Granted, the customer did bring up scanning to me and I had to tell him that was a seperate option that he did not purchuse.

The color machines aren't really a problem, but the older color stuff... oh don't get me started! Every customer I had, all I heard was, "Well the sales person told me it would do everything I could ever want." AARRGHH!!!

The first law states that energy is conserved: The change in the internal energy is equal to the amount added by heating minus the amount lost by doing work on the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    After reading bits that have been said in other threads and feeling that the sales people are better targets of our rath than IT people, I felt that a thread on this topic would get some hits. Plus I could not believe this call I got.

While doing a full pm on a bizhub 600 in the middle of a very busy day, my shop calls to tell me that Doug {head salesman and the owners brother} needs my help. It seems he is at a customers location where he has sold a bizhub 200 and does not know how to set the fax settings. He needs me to stop what I am doing and drop by and show them how to do it. The girl calling me was the owners daughter, and Dougs niece, so I bit my tounge in half trying to keep my job. In my mind I said "Are you fucking joking ? Has he lost his goddamn mind. If I have to go over there I will bitch slap him when I get there". What I really said after I took a deep breath was "Tell doug to open the drawer at the bottom of the machine. In that drawer he will find a plastic bag. In that bag he will find a set of magic books. These all powerful books contain all of the information a human being or a salesman could need to know about a bizhub 200. You may also tell him to focus on the book of user operations for the fax, he does not need to read the whole stack. " She laughed and I kept my job another day.
    Now that takes balls! I'm talking about Doug, of course...

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    The salesman said what?

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    If I have to go over there I will bitch slap him when I get there".
    You guys don't????
    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Its all shits and giggles until some body giggles and shits...

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    The salesman said what?

I showed up to a service call on a Canon NP-4050 a few years ago. The customer tells me they had just bought this new machine and it is jamming constantly.

I went into my standard speech. "With refurbished machines it will sometimes take a few visits to get everything tuned up and running perfectly..."
    customer: Refurbished!
    self (with a sinking feeling): This machine hasn't been sold as new in at least 4 years, and it has the painted covers of a refurb.

Did you ever know that you were putting your foot in it, and there was nothing to do but keep right on going? The salesman had attempted to pass off a Mexican refurb as a new machine. It's the only time it's ever happened to my knowledge, and the salesman got a serious spanking. His numbers were consistently high though, so it was forgotten pretty quickly (not by me).

These refurbs were problematic. The parts were spotlessly clean, and covers powder-coated, but only the most basic maintenance parts were replaced. To deliver a fairly well functioning machine it was best to run it in the office for at least a week. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I showed up to a service call on a Canon NP-4050 a few years ago. The customer tells me they had just bought this new machine and it is jamming constantly.

I went into my standard speech. "With refurbished machines it will sometimes take a few visits to get everything tuned up and running perfectly..."
    self (with a sinking feeling): This machine hasn't been sold as new in at least 4 years, and it has the painted covers of a refurb.

Did you ever know that you were putting your foot in it, and there was nothing to do but keep right on going? The salesman had attempted to pass off a Mexican refurb as a new machine. It's the only time it's ever happened to my knowledge, and the salesman got a serious spanking. His numbers were consistently high though, so it was forgotten pretty quickly (not by me).

These refurbs were problematic. The parts were spotlessly clean, and covers powder-coated, but only the most basic maintenance parts were replaced. To deliver a fairly well functioning machine it was best to run it in the office for at least a week. =^..^=
    That happened to me to. A Ricoh 4622, with the meter turned to zero and resprayed covers, But the clutches in the back were all covered in toner. Customer: What do you mean by "Refurbished"?
    Salesman:
    Me after customer yelled to salesman:

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts
    The salesman said what?

The salesman said .... "Why are you cleaning those black rollers for"?
    Me: "Well you wanted the machine refurbed and these rollers need to be cleaned along with the rest of them if not replaced."
    Salesman: "You don't need to do that. You just need to Mr. Sheen the paper path and that will stop jamming well and truely".
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    Salesman "lets run some copies on your brand new machine".
    Customer "what's that squeel"?
    Salesman "let me call the sevice technician".

I arrive.
    "Hello".
    Customer "Hello, the salesman said the feeder was squeeling because the rollers were too tight and you would adjust them".
    Me "?????"(blank look on my face)
    Does anyone in here know how to adjust the tightness of the pick-up rollers? I'm still trying to get him to tell me how I do that.