View Poll Results: Do you keep a copier at home?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I can't get enough of work.

65 43.92%
  • No, I keep work and home separate.

64 43.24%
  • Who Cares?

19 12.84%
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Re: Do you have a copier at home?

My wife puts up with a lot. I have printers and copiers all over the place. Also a few plotters. But then, I'm an indie, so I end up selling some of them.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    I have a SP3410SF which I fished out of the skip and brought back to life.

But I would like a small A4 colour laser MFD for home.
    Problem is I personally don't like Ricoh's lower end offerings.

So I have a eye on a Canon i-SENSYS MF633Cdw which is a charming little MFD.

Kind of depends on how many copies/prints you will be making. I have a small canon inkjet machine. Cost all of 21 dollars with tax. The ink actually costs twice as much. But I haven't used either color or black cartridge fully yet. If I need to fax anything I scan and then use a fax website. Just can not justify the added expense of a color laser machine with very low volume of printing. Heck even just one of the toner/drum units costs more the two of the machine I bought, a Canon mp2550

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

So you get a really old color laser printer and keep it running... and try to be in the right place at the right time when people throw their old supplies away (like when you sell them a new machine) Right now I have a HP CLJ 4600. I happened to be talking to a customer who mentioned they were throwing out 4 OEM toner ctgs. I'll probably keep the machine only until it runs out of toner. There are so many used units floating around that if I throw it away when I run out of toner, it's not that big a deal.

Yes. I work from home and so over the years I've had hundred. Mainly for "parts". At one stage I filled my 4 car garage with the shit. These days the car is back in the garage (most of the time), and I throw machines out as they arrive. Our local council takes them for free as eWaste, so that's handy. I'm now also a building designer and drafter about 50% of the time so I keep a Lexmark x945e for printing out drawings, mainly because an associate bought 20 of the things for $30 each and so there is a steady supply of spare parts there (the hard drives keep crashing).

My first copier for home use was a Xerox 3100 that usually took an hour of servicing before I could make a couple of copies.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bob marley's Avatar

Yes, I have sharp AR-5316
    Live for yourself and you will live in vain. Live for others, and you will live again

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

old post... I'll bite...

Yeah, I have few working non-working copiers and printers at home...
    Most of them are working intermittent, eg. low on toner, need fuser roller etc.
    I find myself getting annoyed every time someone want a quick print out or copy.
    They come around to my place an I have to do IT or Tech work to get one going.
    Which is a bit of a bummer, it reminds me of something called work.....
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    old post... I'll bite...

Yeah, I have few working non-working copiers and printers at home...
    Most of them are working intermittent, eg. low on toner, need fuser roller etc.
    I find myself getting annoyed every time someone want a quick print out or copy.
    They come around to my place an I have to do IT or Tech work to get one going.
    Which is a bit of a bummer, it reminds me of something called work.....
    Well at least they don't ask you to go to their house and take a quick look at their machines there. The neighborhood a while back found out I worked on office equipment courtesy of the signs I had to put on my car. They finally quit when i started charging handing a bill from where I worked. Told my boss I was doing that to get them to stop bugging me and he said okay.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts larweedad's Avatar

I had a Minolta 2151. Using toner from a 5400. Tossed the copier after several years and the drum and cleaning blade went bad, I think that was about 10 years ago or less.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Do you have a copier at home?

If you work from a Home Office, you need a current copier to keep up with all that happens in the industry all of the time.

New firmware, new apps, new print drivers, TeamViewer, OSX, software solutions, A3/A4 operating systems.

Most techs these days are expected to do more than break/fix.

If you are responsible for multi brands, you might need multi copiers at home.

In this industry if you are not learning all of the time, you income opportunities decrease very day.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I've got a brother MFP-L8850CDW. It was a device that was traded in and headed to the trash heap. All I wanted was a laser color device, because I rarely print at home, and id get one print out of ink jets then I wouldn't use it for a while and it would dry up.

My boss refuses to have anything printer related at his house.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk