Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Getting shocked

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Getting shocked

It's better than coffee, for sharpening up ones wits. It's the damn lamp terminals that get me every time. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

I can turn a screw... 250+ Posts pacman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    You would think there would be flaws in that method, however, I am in an elementary school classroom, on an old tabletop Sharp, plugged into a power strip. I unplug the strip and proceed to change the power supply. I am plugging in the new one and barely notice the small child who walks up to the electric pencil sharpener. He puts the pencil in and nothing happens. He does it again. Nothing happens. He sees the plug undone. He plugs it in. I am touching hot wires with pliers. I get LIT UP! I say a cuss word real loud. Nobody hears except the frightened young boy with the dull pencil. My pliers get thrown across the room. Nobody sees , except the same boy. I think to this day he may have an abnormal fear of pencil sharpeners.

WOW!!!!!!!! That's a crazy story!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Getting shocked

I was going strong for 4+ years then one day while working on a PB mailing machine i accidently (actully it was being stupid) touched the Capacitors in the AC side of the power supply. It tingled but i didn't swear or even make a noise! Dam good thing to, i was talking to their IT guy trying to get a "in" for our sales man so we could push the HP crap out.
    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Its all shits and giggles until some body giggles and shits...

Prince Morgan

Senior Tech 250+ Posts vincent64's Avatar
    Last time I zapped myself was on a old Sharp SF-2116, in a home health office, thermal fuse on exp lamp went out, filter pluged up and got too hot, cleaned filter, went to change fuse, one hand to guide screwdriver, that hand resting on frame of optics area, yepp...metal frame, screwdriver tip touched screw, and I felt the tingle, and guys and gals, its not the shock that does you harm, its our reaction to it, jerk back and cut my self on the frame, was not much, but drew blood, I learned then on, always pull the plug, and I drape it over the machine so I can see it.
    Now a funny one, S/M was working on something his cell phone rings about the time he touches something, well a cell phone on vibe mode kinda feels like a electric shock.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts robscopyr's Avatar

There goes another rubber tree plant!

Working on an old sf-8600 (I still have the nightmares) and replacing the lower thermal fuse when I touched my screwdriver across the main fuse, I had my hand on the shaft of the driver, not the handle, and I got a big spark that made me jump backwards, tripped over my tool case that was behind me and took a header into a HUGE clay pot that held a full size rubber tree . I was knocked goofy,but not out, and the rubbertree plant, and about 50lbs of potting soil were all over the floor.

Best part of the whole thing... the super model secretary that nursed me back to health and helped me clean up the mess, still have a scar on my hand from where I jerked back from the machine and caught a sharp edge.
    Yep! its one of my favorite scars.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Vincent64, That's the only time on about the same model sharp, doing the same thing you were, I've been shocked in my short 5 years. Yeah it's more the mental shock than the physical harm (I didn't get cut.) I haven't been bit by a corona yet, I guess it's somewhat harder on the newer machines. I did cut into some heater wiring and short it to ground once on a newer digital, I'll just claim being an idiot on that one luckily the machine nor I was harmed.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Getting shocked

Mita's Manhood Mangler!

It was the live heat sinks on old Mitas that still give me nightmares, with the back cover off they were at crotch height!!!
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

mjarbar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    It was the live heat sinks on old Mitas that still give me nightmares, with the back cover off they were at crotch height!!!
    On that one you don't have to say anything more!!!

mjarbar
    Quote Originally Posted by FRIDGEMAGNET View Post
    You are obviously a superior tech to us then.
    Hardly - found out after rebuilding an iR3035 fuser assy that it is a good idea to ensure the brass plate of the fixing film DOESN'T touch the metal frame of the assy.

Luckily was in our workshop when all the electrics went down and not at the customer!