Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    WOETC
    From Alice Springs in the dead centre of Australia, I had a territory about 500 km (300 miles) South, and the same North. (there was only one road) The joy was that there was NO!! speed limit in those days. I used to drive it at about 160 to 200 Km per hour. Nowadays I have a territory that covers 200 km North, 150 km South and about 400km West. We're on the coast and there aint a lot of East. Some of our most distant machines are direct sales from Canon, with no mileage allowance in the contract. Lexmark used to pay us a mileage allowance of $1 per Km which was just as well because our territory for them was about 500km in the 3 directions. My first delivery out to Cracow a mine 375 Km west I delivered a Toshiba es250 in the back of a Station Wagon. The last 30 km were so bad, I killed 2 tyres and 3 alloy rims, driving under 20km per hour.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts vincent64's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff33 View Post
    My territory is Texas but the farthest I have went is about 300 miles one way. We have some contract machines in west Texas, talk about a long boring drive nothing but cows and oil wells out there.
    Got some of them oil wells down in east texas as well.
    Where is spicewood, never heard of it I guess.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    I guess I am spoiled. My main area is 15 min from the shop. Well since I had nothing to do {Bizhubs don't break down...I am being sarcastic}, I got to make a road trip because my boss moved a prescription shredder to a drug store near the mountains. I think the directions included the phrase "turn off the pavement and wade across the creek. Anyway the trip was 4 hours there, 30 minutes to unload and 3 and a half to get back, I now have a new found respect for long distance techs.How far away does your shop send you on contract work? Do people in remote areas pay outrageous sums to get stuff fixed?
    you spend as long as 15 mins travelling to a job lol....99% of my calls are a 5 min walk...if i need a part...i walk back & get it..while the coffee that the customer has made me cools down ...sometimes i might have a 10 min drive to go to a call....the longest i've had to drive to a call is about 4 miles, normally 10 mins unless i get stuck in the school traffic....

Service Manager 250+ Posts Hemlock's Avatar
    Last tech jorb, the longest drive was 150 mi each way. Now, the farthest machine from my desk is 1/4 mile.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts gwaddle's Avatar
    My nearest customer is across the street. The farthest we see regularly is about 100 miles and some up to 200.

Technician
    My current territory is about 30 miles from home and I cover about 10 miles further out in all directions back home. It's all print shops so 44 machines seems like a low number but it can be overwhelming when they all call in.

However, I used to work in Hilton head island, SC and live in Savannah, GA. About an hour each way except for when the fire dept on one of the islands called in. They were waterlocked so its an hour ride to Hilto Head, an hour boat ride to the island and about 30 minutes to get in front of the machine. If you could'nt fix it in 30 minutes, you would miss the next boat and had to take the following one. This would get you back to Hilton head at 4:15 so catching another call was usually impossible. All day for one call but for a water lover like me, not too bad.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    How far is too far.

Quote Originally Posted by racefreak View Post
    ... so 44 machines seems like a low number but it can be overwhelming when they all call in ...
    44? They're not all active (some die off), but I've got 628 machines and increasing every day. It would be nice if I had 44 unique models. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    I work the panhandle of Florida it is nothing for me to travel 200 miles in one day just today I traveled 150 miles between calls I am getting tired of it have been doing this for 26 years and always get stuck with the big territories last company I traveled from Tallahasse Florida to New Orleans (at least they put me up in a room for the night) did the service call then drove 5 hours back home.

just one copy?? 500+ Posts
    How far is too far.

Just returned from an overnight trip. 1250kms round trip. 8 jobs. 400kms and 7 jobs on wednesday, then 1 job and 850kms yesterday.
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    How far is too far.

travel

last week went to a contract customer 7 hours drive at 110 kph on a contract so they pay $600 dollars (australian)for the one way trip we pay for parts, toner, overnight accomodation and meals.
    then 7 hrs drive back .my poor old car has done 40,000 klms in 5 months.