Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

How far is too far.

I guess I am spoiled. My main area is 15 min from the shop. Well since I had nothing to do {Bizhubs don't break down...I am being sarcastic}, I got to make a road trip because my boss moved a prescription shredder to a drug store near the mountains. I think the directions included the phrase "turn off the pavement and wade across the creek. Anyway the trip was 4 hours there, 30 minutes to unload and 3 and a half to get back, I now have a new found respect for long distance techs.How far away does your shop send you on contract work? Do people in remote areas pay outrageous sums to get stuff fixed?
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    How far is too far.

On one special occasion I delivered a 25cpm Copystar MFP to Montreal , Ontario, Canada. I don't remember the actual mileage, but it's around 350m from Detroit.

There haven't been any service calls in 1.5 yrs. It's about time.

In real life I cover a 50m radius around Detroit, and commute 59m each way. It's probably not the furthest, but notable. That adds up to 40K per year. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar
    I am so glad to be out of the field. I definitely don't miss driving all day...
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    How far is too far.

I have the smallest territory of any tech in my district, (about 15 miles end to end) but I have print shops at opposite ends so its not uncommon to go back and forth 2 or 3 times a day. Plus I frequently get sent to machines nobody else can fix / doesn't want to work on and I commute about 60 miles each way every day.

Forget cruise control, when are they coming out with autopilot.
    73 DE W5SSJ

mjarbar
    The longest we have done is 245 miles (Southend On Sea to Liverpool one way) to deliver an iR2022i for a customer and we didn't charge any extra.

The good thing is that we have managed to get it sub-contracted so we don't have to keep going up there to service it. Apart from that our range is up to 120 miles from base.

Scotland!!!!

My main area is glasgow but at any time I could get a call anywhere in scotland!! Think the farthest away machine which I know one of the other techs did last time it came in, is a 6 hour drive (one way) then back again!!!

He was there 15minutes updating firmware then drove back home!!

Cant wait for my turn

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Vista Tech's Avatar
    My normal range is 75 miles from my shop with contracted machines But I've been sent as far as 200 miles to fix machines, those people usually pay a hefty price in trip charges.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    I guess there is a lack of techs on the eastern part of my state and we do the Ricoh warranty work from the middle of the state to the coast. About once a week we have to send a tech and put him up overnight to do the calls. The calls are from 2 to 5 hours away.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Long Island is one of the densest suburban areas of the country, so my territory is pretty small geographically. Which is a good thing, considering the traffic means driving to the east end would mean a four hour round-trip.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    I used to work the City of London and once I had to drive 1 mile from one customer to another and it took me 4 hours. Lucky for me I had my service manager in the car with me. Why didn't I walk....No where to park the car and about $200 fine if it got clamped.
    Sorry folks, reputation removed by Just Manuals, because he's a sad little wanker