Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    What was the Dumbest thing you've ever said / done to a customer?

We've got threads for Stupid Customers, Stupid Machines, and Stupid IT People and stupid techs - Now how about when the stupid tech is loudmouth you? C'mon, we've all done it - now it's time to admit it...

I was sitting on my vacuum cleaning out an MP9000 when the operator (who was NOT hired for her brains) tripped and fell into me. One of the doors slammed into the back of my hand - ouch - and my head hit the other door - Ouch! - then the floor - OUCH!!! but in the process I got a nearly perfect face full of cleavage

She helped me up "OhMyGosh are you O.K.?"

I guess I hit my head harder than I thought, because I actually said the first thing that came to mind... "Uh-huh... Dual Airbags"
    73 DE W5SSJ

Adeptus Mechanicus Magos 500+ Posts

Unhappy

Nothing that funny unfortunately, I didn't do this myself but one of our engineers called a machine a piece of crap on its install into a customer, that caused no ends of phone calls and problems, in the end the machine was pulled and we had to install another at the same click which has caused us to loose money on it ever since.

Definitely not the brightest thing to be said in front of a customer!
    The impossible is easy - miracles take a little longer
    So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late.

The Great Gazoo 250+ Posts kyoceradude's Avatar
    We had a customer that was the biggest pain in the ass. One day when they called, I agreed to go. Upon arrival the customer said to me, "Oh, they sent someone new. We haven't see you before. Are you gonna fix it? How long will it take, I'm very busy today? Why didn't they send Pedro? I'd rather have Pedro." I proceded to tell the customer that "I drew the short straw today". You guessed it, no sooner did I get back to the office when the boss came to me and asked, "Uh..... you got a minute?" He didn't appreciate my response to the customer. That minute turned into 15. Pretty sad when all the customer has to do all day is bitch, bitch, bitch......
    My mission here on Earth is to help all you Dum-Dums!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts vincent64's Avatar
    Guys and Gals, or my fellow Techs,
    It dont matter what you say, how you say it or to whom,
    Someone is not going to be happy, you can piss them off with a look, or just body launguage, it dont matter, although I do like the short straw line .
    I have been there, done and said things I know I should not have, but just came out, or not able to fix a prob and have to get parts, or be the 3'rd tech to see it, its all in the cust's perception of us.
    Heck, I even got a talking to about not, I repeat, NOT talking to a certain person at a office, he got all snooty that I ignored him, and I did not even know of this person.
    So you see, it dont matter how we do our jobs, someone somewhere is not going to be happy with it

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

This just now (circa 10 minutes ago):

I'm at a copy shop and I was vacuuming a machine's developer unit when there were to girl customers looking at me and giggling. I turned off the vacuum cleaner, turned to them and said "Hey, I only do this at my job, I don't touch the vacuum cleaner at home!".

That stopped the snickering!
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

School District Tech 500+ Posts schooltech's Avatar
    I used to work at a place where a print shop (with two 1105’s and two 1075’s) was a customer and they were time-and-materials only. When I started with the company, this was in my “territory” so I ended up doing the service work.

As work orders were written up, I would list the parts but not the prices, as I did not have a parts price book, nor did I know the prices off the top of my head. In any event, this occurred for approximately seven or eight months. This included ALL parts for PM kits, extra parts, etc. and these machines where PM’d about every month or so (I was there A LOT.)

One day, I was talking with the receptionist who was inputting work orders. She was asking me about something and I noticed a work order from them with no charges for parts. I said, “Hey, there’s no prices for parts. What’s what that?” She said, “Well, you didn’t put any prices, so I just don’t charge for the parts when there are not prices.” I said, “I thought that you would just input the correct prices once I turned the paperwork in.”

HOLY SHIT!!!! This was thousands of dollars given for free to this customer. I just knew that I would never hear the end of it at some point, so that was one more thing to get me out of that crappy place. I wonder if they ever found out.

I guess that the customer either benefitted from this, or they received a big-ass bill for the parts (seriously, this was thousands of dollars.)
    Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Comptia A+, Comptia Network+

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    OK, Iwill admit what I did was stupid but sometimes you just snap. Not everybody in the army is stupid, as a matter of fact I have a lot of great customers who can change thier toner by themselves and everything. However, when you are a new soilder being trained, well just picture the kind of calls you would get if you had public copiers free for everybody to use, in a fast food restaurant or Wal-Mart. On a bad day I show up and it looks like someone had beat the machine with a toner bottle. There were open mostly full toner bottles rolling around in the drawer under the machine, spilling toner everywhere. They had tried to solve a problem by changing toner and did a piss poor job. I pulled out my sharpie, and left a note on the document feeder itself. It said "IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, DON'T FUCK WITH MY MACHINE, CALL ME,I HAVE WORKED FOR THE ARMY FOR 10 YEARS, NO QUESTION IS TOO DUMB" and wrote my name and cell number. Yes I had balls enough, or stupidity enough to sign my work. The next morning the drill instructor called me. "Hell yes I wrote it", I told him. He was used to dealing with people who were intimidated by him, and I was not. Next day, his First Sargent called the owner, and I took my ass out there and cleaned it off the top of the machine.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    OK, Iwill admit what I did was stupid but sometimes you just snap. Not everybody in the army is stupid, as a matter of fact I have a lot of great customers who can change thier toner by themselves and everything. However, when you are a new soilder being trained, well just picture the kind of calls you would get if you had public copiers free for everybody to use, in a fast food restaurant or Wal-Mart. On a bad day I show up and it looks like someone had beat the machine with a toner bottle. There were open mostly full toner bottles rolling around in the drawer under the machine, spilling toner everywhere. They had tried to solve a problem by changing toner and did a piss poor job. I pulled out my sharpie, and left a note on the document feeder itself. It said "IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, DON'T FUCK WITH MY MACHINE, CALL ME,I HAVE WORKED FOR THE ARMY FOR 10 YEARS, NO QUESTION IS TOO DUMB" and wrote my name and cell number. Yes I had balls enough, or stupidity enough to sign my work. The next morning the drill instructor called me. "Hell yes I wrote it", I told him. He was used to dealing with people who were intimidated by him, and I was not. Next day, his First Sargent called the owner, and I took my ass out there and cleaned it off the top of the machine.
    I put a sign similar to the one you made, except mine was typed out in multiple languages. It did it in english, german, spanish, and hindi...... The account employed people from different nationalities........I didn't want to come across as being a racist so I made sure ALL the employees could read and understand it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I had one customer back in the days of analog machines and uncoated exposure glass that would break out the bottle of windex every night then call for ADF jams the next morning no matter how much I explained it to them. After the 5th time I removed the exposure glass and taped a note to the optics cover: "The Glass is coated with oil to prevent jams - DO NOT clean the glass - You will be billed" and I quoted our labor rate.

I had enough sense to call my boss as I left and told him. Sure enough the customer called back in, but my boss had told me not to touch the machine untill I had a check in my hand.

BTW where did you even find a picture of Fedron - I've got some customers I'd like to pour a capful in their desk drawer...
    73 DE W5SSJ

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Aaaah the smell of fedron. the memory takes me back, poor lungs and permanently black fingers.
    Sorry folks, reputation removed by Just Manuals, because he's a sad little wanker