Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Adeptus Mechanicus Magos 500+ Posts
    traffic tickets for traveling techs

Quote Originally Posted by Morlock49 View Post
    Don't work in the UK then. You don't even have to be stopped by police anymore to get a speeding ticket. There are cameras on almost every traffic light, at every entrance and exit from the motorways, and now on almost all bridges over highways. The police now monitor your vehicle over set distances and if you are over the speed limit you will get a speed ticket for each point you are speeding at. Therefore you could lose your license on one trip.

And if you goto central london, without paying the visit london tax online, you will get a massive fine.

The british government make billions from these fines, but none of it is returned towards road improvements, safety.

This is why some drivers, concerned citizens, use JCB's and tire ringing to destroy speed cameras. more power to them.
    The latest is that they are now using the local forces helicopter to monitor for speeders, the cameras can see a number plate from a mile away and you don't know you've been done till the fine lands on your door mat
    The impossible is easy - miracles take a little longer
    So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late.

I can turn a screw... 250+ Posts pacman's Avatar
    In the 12 years I've been in the industry doing sales or service, I've never gotten a work related ticket. Here in Arizona, we have speeding cameras on the freeways and some side streets. Even before then, I never got any.

Guess I'm lucky!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Been driving 10 years, got all my merits that i can get and i hope to keep it that way. I don't speed in company vehicles. I set the cruise at the speed limit in the city and on the highway i put it about 8km over to keep with traffic and the police leave you alone. Few parking tickets which my former employer would not cover. My new service van has big Sharp and Ricoh lables on it. I park in loading zones all day with no problems.

One of the guys in the city next to me got towed once. He had a shitty day, had to tear apart a big finisher on a 55 ppm Sharp color, got delayed and his car went bye bye. Pricks wait to give you the parking ticket and then tow you after it's under the wiper!

What about parking meters and underground parking? Does that come out of your pocket or does the company pay for it? In my city it's not such a big issue but in some places i can see it turning into a major expense.
    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Its all shits and giggles until some body giggles and shits...

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar
    Those of you saying that speed doesn't cause accidents are out of your minds (no offense). Not everyone on the road is a good driver. Not even the majority of people on the road are good drivers. All it takes is one moron to pull out in front of someone driving way too fast and bam! I don't care how good of a driver you think you are, you aren't so good that you can break the laws of physics. It takes way longer to stop if you're traveling at 120 mph than it does if your only doing 60 mph. And I'm sure some will say "It's not the speeder's fault, it's the moron's fault for pulling out in front and not looking first". Ok, fair enough. But does it really matter who's technically at fault when your head's going through the windshield? Common sense, guys...
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules Winfield View Post
    Those of you saying that speed doesn't cause accidents are out of your minds (no offense). Not everyone on the road is a good driver. Not even the majority of people on the road are good drivers. All it takes is one moron to pull out in front of someone driving way too fast and bam! I don't care how good of a driver you think you are, you aren't so good that you can break the laws of physics. It takes way longer to stop if you're traveling at 120 mph than it does if your only doing 60 mph. And I'm sure some will say "It's not the speeder's fault, it's the moron's fault for pulling out in front and not looking first". Ok, fair enough. But does it really matter who's technically at fault when your head's going through the windshield? Common sense, guys...

If you head has gone through the widshield.....you should have been wearing a belt. I know from experience. I drove a corolla head on into eighteen wheeler at 70mph and lived....i think ( not sure, as i'm still a copier tech)
    Sorry folks, reputation removed by Just Manuals, because he's a sad little wanker

Jules!

I am not trying to say that driving as fast as you can everywhere, all the time isn't dangerous. Only stupid/agressive people do that.

HOWEVER, in many places and at many time it is perfectly safe to drive with moderate disregard for the limits.

It's early morning here, and I need to have a shower and get dressed....but I will be back to qualify my views.

Technician
    dont really get any traffic tickets but i do get a fair share of parking tickets. my area is downtown los angeles so its between 50 to 65 dollars per ticket. it sucks!

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    I got one recently, but it wasn't in the company car. It was in my Benz on my way to a customer (had to show it off to them) needless to say, I was popped going 84 mph in like a 65. About $400 in all.... sooo... don't do it.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RRodgers View Post
    I got one recently, but it wasn't in the company car. It was in my Benz on my way to a customer (had to show it off to them) needless to say, I was popped going 84 mph in like a 65. About $400 in all.... sooo... don't do it.
    400 clams for 19 mph over? OUCH!!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

My wife had on that was about $275 for 11 over. Wasn't really her fault - speedometer quit while going down the road. Old car, loose connection - but that cuts zero ice, your responsible for maintaining a safe vehicle
    73 DE W5SSJ