Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Service Manager 250+ Posts Zackuth's Avatar
    After high school I went into the Navy as a shipboard electrician. I left the service and then worked in an electricial supply shop. Left that job to work in supply on an Air Force base as a civilian contractor, did that for 14 years. Then I installed home security systems, worked in a tire manufacturing company and now I repair copiers.

i was a retailer of electronic components.. USSR made

What i did before...

Out of school qualified as an fitter and turner. Worked on one of the company's mines as an maintenance fitter. Broke my back while doing a 3-month camp for the Defence force. Went for an interview at Nashua and started 2 weeks later. Left 8 years later and start my own company (advertising) Got done in by a partner a year on. Started as receiving manager at a retail store. Had a problem with one of the area managers a year later and i took my jacket and gave him the "finger". Started at Gestetner 2 days later.That was 13-14 years ago and here i am.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Last job ?

1985...Harley Davidson mechanic......

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    I was a computer technician for 4 years

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    What did you do before you were the copy guy or girl?

Re: What did you do before you were the copy guy or girl?

After high school I work in the labors union for a summer in Phx, Az. Joined the Coast Guard in '73 and worked on avionics equipment and systems, flew search and rescue
    and participated in helicopter flight operations. Got out in '79 and went to work for Eastman Kodak Co. for 15 years where I serviced the Ektaprint series up to 120ppm.
    Left them at the end of '94 and started my own adventure.
    With any luck I'll be able to retire next year.

DR

Out of HS went into Navy (1980) My rate (MT) gave me a really good background in electromechanics, probably with a little lean towards mechanical..10-11 years later Savin won the bid for copiers on our subs..I thought it was pretty interesting and asked if I could go to the maintenance class. my chief said no way, complete waste of time for you..Wound up leaving service 2 years later and after a brief stint with Home Shopping Network, entered copier service..Kept up with the computer side on my own and it paid off when the digital revolution happened. Love my job..

Started out as a "Dish-Dog" while attending tech school to be an electrician. Got my degree and found out I wasn't going to get an apprenticeship because I didn't have an "IN" with the Union. Got additional education in electronics and microprocessors, then went to work for a Savin/Panasonic/Konica dealer in Minneapolis.

Got blown out there, went to bartender, bouncer, weekend musician. Did retail management for a few years, then got hired on as a maintenance mechanic for a Direct Mail (AKA: Junk Mail) company. Spent 14 years there, then gravitated back to copiers about 12 years ago.

♫...is it any wonder I'm not crazy...is it any wonder my 401K has any money at all.....♫

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Went from high school to working in a hardware store. Then to an appliance store, and back to another hardware store. After three years there I started working at a mobile phone store. Not good for self esteem working at a mobile phone store. People treat mobile phone employees very poorly. Luckily the guy that owned the mobile phone store also had a KonMin dealership. On a particularly bad day trying to help people I asked him if he needed another tech, I had zero copier repair experience at the time. He took a chance on me and I am still at it 15 years later. Best job I have ever had.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Televisions for many years..... Found a local add for tech. 20 years later happy as can be.