Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    copierman 250+ Posts
    Why have some of your fellow copy techs been fired?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by banginbishop View Post
    The problem is good engineers are in short supply - lets face it, was you directed to your current job when you left school? i wasn't i had never even heard of a photocopier engineer i wanted to be a mechanic with cars. We put up with sub standard "engineers" because we struggle to find good engineers in the first place.
    I guess all the good engineers leave for better paid IT style of jobs after becoming disillusioned with the copier industry. You learn to fix the machines (mostly without formal training) learn the IT side of the job and read bulletins/copytechnet in your spare time and the rewards are.......not much!!!

So the "good" engineers have had the sense to get out of the industry and apply there skills to a different job. Someone said this was a career, but wheres the progression? You can learn every machine made and all the IT that goes with it but it does not seem to benefit you financially.

To the previous posts mentioning techs that were rubbish and smelly, i guess this would not be the case if there were barriers to entry to the job. But, if there were i guess there would be very few engineers to hire.

Perhaps going off on a tangent there, BTW i have never been fired!!!

Networking skills are advantageous but use of a 3m vacuum cleaner is essential

Technician

Inspect what you expect...

I was a tech for 10 years then promoted to manager. I turned a blind eye to what other techs did when I was a tech in the field...minded my own business and did my job. Ive seen techs drunk on the job, stealing parts, not working at all and closing calls anyway, doing 5 calls by noon and then fudging paperwork to go home for the day...on and on.

Then I got offered to be in management. I had to think long and hard about "would I be able to clean up my team I was about to inherit?" I accepted the challenge. Fired 3 techs the first month, after I had written them up and they continued to do the same inappropriate actions. The remaining techs thanked me for getting rid of them, since the former manager just didnt want to deal with it.

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leo34staffs View Post
    I guess all the good engineers leave for better paid IT style of jobs after becoming disillusioned with the copier industry.

So the "good" engineers have had the sense to get out of the industry and apply there skills to a different job. Someone said this was a career, but wheres the progression? You can learn every machine made and all the IT that goes with it but it does not seem to benefit you financially.
    Unfortunatly for some IT people, the first people out of the big companies are the IT staff - look at the banks loads of job cuts and big cuts on IT. Not long ago it was "not enough people are doing IT you can earn 80k" i'm happy doing what i do. 2 positions came round at my company looking for field supervisors but i said no because i didin't want the added responsibilities or pressure of the job - i'm relaxed and stress free and thats what i like - others love it but it's not for me.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    Because they make more work for other techs. Ever fire a tech and have the call load DROP!??!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I remember a particular tech (let's call him John). He had certain favorite customers that had weekly calls for what you might consider to be questionable issues. John created far more work than he actually finished.

Do you remember the straw-man from the Wizard Of Oz? He sang "...if I only had a brain." The lyrics of this song would play in my ears as I reviewed John's service calls.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RRodgers View Post
    Because they make more work for other techs. Ever fire a tech and have the call load DROP!??!

Wow I was just commenting this morning about how since someone at the shop has not been there for 3 weeks, the calls have gone down. Everyone agreed including the service manager who was doing his clean up.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leo34staffs View Post
    I guess all the good engineers leave for better paid IT style of jobs after becoming disillusioned with the copier industry. You learn to fix the machines (mostly without formal training) learn the IT side of the job and read bulletins/copytechnet in your spare time and the rewards are.......not much!!!

To the previous posts mentioning techs that were rubbish and smelly, i guess this would not be the case if there were barriers to entry to the job. But, if there were i guess there would be very few engineers to hire.

Perhaps going off on a tangent there, BTW i have never been fired!!!

Amen, reverend. After a lot of "atta boys" with no financial rewards, IT is the next logical step. That's what I ended up doing, thank God. In fact ,the last few years I was a field tech I actually made less money (even with the pitiful "raises" they were giving) due to policy changes with regards to vehicle expenses and benefits packages.
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Adeptus Mechanicus Magos 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Wow I was just commenting this morning about how since someone at the shop has not been there for 3 weeks, the calls have gone down. Everyone agreed including the service manager who was doing his clean up.
    The way things are going at our place at the moment I may get empirical evidence of this in the near future.
    The impossible is easy - miracles take a little longer
    So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I know we've all worked with bad techs before. I've seen so many come & go, I can't remember half their names. It seems the company deserves part of the blame. When you pay squat, you get squat. I don't know how many years I heard the same ole story from management that if we all pulled together & worked harder for the company, the money would trickle down. It never seemed to trickle down to the techs, though. Just the owners bank account. The bad part is it's the customer who suffers through bad service and down time, even though they've paid their contract up front. Some companies charge a fortune & just don't deliver, others charge less & have great techs. In the end, the market seems to take care of the bad companies.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Ricoh seems to be hanging on to the idea that somehow having CompTIA A+ and Net+ certifications qualifies someone to work on a copier. They pretty much insist on having it before they will hire somebody as a tech. As a result, they have hired several people who don't know one end of a screwdriver from the other. Fortunately they are no longer with us.
    73 DE W5SSJ