Quote Originally Posted by Shadow1 View Post
Ricoh seems to be hanging on to the idea that somehow having CompTIA A+ and Net+ certifications qualifies someone to work on a copier. They pretty much insist on having it before they will hire somebody as a tech. As a result, they have hired several people who don't know one end of a screwdriver from the other. Fortunately they are no longer with us.
Where I work, the military has their own IT people for security reasons. Some places call them when they have a printer problem. Usually the result is, the computer guy blowing it out with air and then telling them it can't be fixed, go buy a new one. I was just fixing a copier 2 days ago, and watched as the color HP printer fed 3 sheets at once and jammed. I spoke up and said, "the tray needs to be replaced, I can fix it". They said the help desk had been there and said it needed a roller. I replied, "I have done this for 10 years, I know what I am talking about. Next time your car breaks, take it to a baker to be fixed and see how well that works"
I have saved many a printer from being replaced because the IT guy said it could not be fixed.
I was working on a copier in the shop and one of our computer guys walked over and said, "every time it makes a copy, this round thing starts to spin. What is it? I replied "it is a motor. It makes the gears and rollers go round and round. He nodded his head in agreement. nuf said!