Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    A good question for our friends at the other side of the pond....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
    But looking at my family and the lack of common sense some of them have I chose not to have one at this time. If I thought the others in the house were better able to handle one I would get one.
    That's a matter of education. I started teaching my kids about guns at a very early age. My son used to think they go bang, somebody falls down, the Doc puts on a Band-Aid, and you see that person on some other show the next day... until I took him shooting. The reality of a gunshot can be a big shock, and I only warned him a little.

He was about 3 or 4 and I told him we were going out shooting. We live out in the country, so there's plenty of good places. I filled up a 2 liter bottle with water, gave it to him and asked him to bust it. He banged it around for 5 minutes or so before giving up - amazing how tough it is to break one.

I had some pretty agressive +P JHP rounds for my 9 and let one fly from about 20 feet - KABLAM!!!! Needless to say, there wasn't much left of the coke bottle. Instant respect for firearms.

Then we did gun safety on a 4 year old level, and we broke it down and cleaned it.

He was about 7 when we got him a BB gun and I started teaching him how to shoot my .22LR. That was interesting for me - we knew he was right handed, but he's always been somewhat ambidexterous and we found out he was left eye dominant. Makes sighting down a long gun pretty tough, but it was pretty funny to watch him try shooting a right handed bolt with a benchrest stock left handed. (yes, my old rimfire is set up better than some hardcore deer rifles - I hunt squirrel with it, and I can put 3 out of 4 rounds on a quarter at 100yds)

Favorite Bumper stickers:
    Smith & Wesson - The original Point and Click Interface.

Insured by Glock

Forget the dog - Beware of Owner (with a drawing of a burgler in the crosshairs)
    73 DE W5SSJ

Quote Originally Posted by mascan42 View Post
    I am considering buying a gun, but the hoops they make you jump through in this county to get a license are retarded. In addition to the $300 in fees and the 20 pages of paperwork (including the page where you confirm that you have actually read all the other pages ), you have to provide four character references that cannot be relatives, each of which has to fill out a two-page form. Knowing my friends, at least one of them would throw me under the bus and put down that I'm a lunatic who talks about shooting up my office or some shit like that. After all that, there's only a six month wait to process the paperwork before I can actually buy the gun.
    Blue State
    73 DE W5SSJ

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Ikon Princess's Avatar
    [quote=fixthecopier;101771]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikon Princess View Post
    what TV show?[/QUOTE

The news, the Mayor of New York City paid for the investigation saying that is how most illegal guns get into his city.

It was a set up and the officers were reprimanded for their heavy handed approach. The mayor was wrong in what he did and it was found to be an illegal sting operation. Follow the link I provided and look in the archives for the real story that the lying anti-gun media won't tell you.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    Do not care. The seller saying "i could not pass one anyway" was real as can be. I also do not care what the NRA has to say because they have a case to sell and will only give one point. I am not someone who is an anti gun liberal, just someone who knows what the truth is. How do I know what the truth is? I go to gun shows, and know more people who buy guns than do not. As I stated before, if I needed a gun now, I could buy it from "legal" gun owners in less than an hour. I own a computer so I can get both sides of the story, the NRA as with all other propaganda lobby groups will only give one side.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar
    Wowser, what can of worms have I opened here? I only wanted to know if you'd blow a customer's head off for doing something stupid on a call
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    Wowser, what can of worms have I opened here? I only wanted to know if you'd blow a customer's head off for doing something stupid on a call
    Tempting at times, but its management and sales that need to watch out.

I kinda sit on the fence on the background check thing. Lets face it, there are people that should not be allowed to own a gun and in this age of modern technology it would not be difficult at all to do instant background check on anyone purchasing a gun - even at a gun show. Call in to an 800 number and punch in the driver's license number - the computer can do the rest in about 3 seconds.

Of course they can get a gun anyway but we shouldn't just give them one, and the fact that they didn't get it legally can be used to keep them locked away from the public for a few more years. (if we can get rid of the wussy judges)
    73 DE W5SSJ

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow1 View Post
    Tempting at times, but its management and sales that need to watch out.

I kinda sit on the fence on the background check thing. Lets face it, there are people that should not be allowed to own a gun and in this age of modern technology it would not be difficult at all to do instant background check on anyone purchasing a gun - even at a gun show. Call in to an 800 number and punch in the driver's license number - the computer can do the rest in about 3 seconds.

Of course they can get a gun anyway but we shouldn't just give them one, and the fact that they didn't get it legally can be used to keep them locked away from the public for a few more years. (if we can get rid of the wussy judges)

Thank You, that is the way I really feel. If it is a law, then enforce it. Nobody forced any gun seller, with "heavy handed tactics" to sell anything. They got stone cold busted!
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

"Of course they can get a gun anyway but we shouldn't just give them one, and the fact that they didn't get it legally can be used to keep them locked away from the public for a few more years. (if we can get rid of the wussy judges)"

Totally agree.